E2e MN03?

kev1-1

Enlightened
I just received my E2e and it is great. However, when I hold it near the wall there is a black hole right in the center of the beam which is not in any of my other SureFire lamps MN01, MN10, MN11, P60, P61. Is this normal for the MN03...or a duff lamp?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried taking the lamp out, moving it around, and repositioning it? And if it still doesn't fix it, then try looking at the bulb and see if there's any artifacts that are sticking to the bulb glass. Lastly, see if the reflector is out of alignment. It may be a dud bulb or an off-positioned reflector...

kev1-1

Enlightened
The hole, more or less, disappears at about 1m from the wall. However, closer than that and it is quite large, and annoying. FalconFX I took out the lamp and moved it around...no change. I can't actually see anything wrong in the lamp though. I have sent SureFire an e-mail to see what they think. Thanks for your help all!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
kev, you most probably got a defective lamp. either that or it got jarred out of focus during shipping, though it is rather unlikely. surefire cs will probably send you a new one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
SureFire's outstanding customer service team have said they will send me a replacement!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However...here is one I have not heard mentioned before...Right around the edge of the light (the edge of the whole beam, not the hotspot) there is a red ring of light!! This ring is a clear bright red...my girlfriend agreed without me prompting as to the colour...where can that red colour have come from?!? Strange!

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Kev1,
I just noticed that too on my E2E. Do you have the newer scalloped bezel or the older one? I only notice it on my new E2E with the scalloped bezel. Weird!!

Brock

Flashaholic
I don't have mine to check but I am pretty sure mine does that too. I think that is just the nature of the reflector. There should be a point out in front of the light where the beam is the smallest (focal point) then it gets larger again. If this is the case the dark spot is the lamp itself. Can someone who has one on them confirm this? (just for the record I have the L4 and A2 on me at the moment)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of my brighter longer throw lights have central holes at a distance of 1 meter.

I would only worry about this with a flood light or a lower intensity light. The brightness of the MN03 at 1 meter is uncomfortable to my eyes unless I'm using the beamshaper.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem and called surefire and talked to tech support. The guy said he would send me another lamp and to just wait till I recieved it to send the one with a hole in it back.
I recieved the new lamp(and shipped the old one back) last week and tried it out.
held up close (under say two feet), the hole is still visible. Past two feet, it turns into a perfect spot.
I think I'm gonna just keep this lamp because rarely do I use this light for things under a meter away.
BTW, I did try rotating the LA and It helped a little on the first lamp but has no effect on the replacement.
BTW, I have the scalloped bezel.Bought about 3 weeks ago.

GreenArcher

Newly Enlightened
My E2E with the scalloped bezel also have that blackhole, when pointed less than 2feet against a wall. I noticed it just last week. So I am not sure if this is a recent degradation or not.

Hmm, maybe I need to call Surefire too.

artar

Enlightened
the same here with my brand new E2e (new bezel). the hole is only visible at distances 40-70 cm from the wall.
you can see it only when you know there is one.

i think its normal and no bug.

here a picture with the area where the hole is and how big it is.

e2e_hole.jpg

i marked the area in with red pencil. i could not take a pic where you can see the hole.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artar, if you have manual exposure on your digicam, you can take it with low light exposure and be able to see the spot...

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1's lamp has the exact same hole. I consider it a bug, I'd return it if I thought it was worth my effort. I'm not a fan of the MN01 in general so I'm not sweating it.

Joe

pahl

Enlightened
This is what Surefire had to say about it when I email them and asked as my E2e has the same spot.

"The dark spot you are seeing is normal, it is simply the shadow from the filament in your light."

I don't see the spot as a problem, but was wondering about it.