What exactly is a 'Reverse Clicky'?

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
My Spiderfire P7 has a clicky switch on the end, you click once for High and click again for low, then click again for off....Looking at a new light with a 'Reverse Clicky', what does that mean exactly?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

This is explained in the welcome mat FAQ list, linked above, as follows:

Q: How do I choose a switch?
A: The "reverse clickie" is very commonly available in inexpensive and general use household and outdoor flashlights. It has a button which must be fully pressed until it clicks and then fully released in order to get light. Once the light is on, a soft press will momentarily turn the light off, and once the button is released, the light will reactivate. This is a very inexpensive (and hence popular) switch type, but it is not suited for signaling or momentary operation.

A "forward clickie," however, can be gently pressed from the Off position to momentarily activate the light, and it will turn off once the button is released. The user can also push the button until it clicks to keep the light on. This is available in some Maglite, Streamlight, Inova, and Surefire models.

Edit: Marduke beat me to it.

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Reverse clicky = the light doesn't turn on until you push the button far enough for it to CLICK.

Forward clicky = the light turns on as soon as some pressure is applied to the button. You can just hold your finger on the button half-pressed and the light will stay on. Clicking it all the way will just serve to permanently turn it on and you can take your finger off.

Last edited:

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
Ok.....A Reverse Clicky would be what's on my Spiderfire.....Thanks!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Perhaps, but your Spiderfire sounds (as described) like a single pole double throw switch, not a traditional single pole single throw clicky used on the vast majority of flashlights. That is, if you ALWAYS have to click through both modes to get to off, and it takes complete clicks.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Reverse clicky = the light doesn't turn on until you push the button far enough for it to CLICK.
Actually, it's worse than that. Not only do you have to push the button far enough to click, but you still don't get any light until you let go again.

Possibly the most vile and hateful invention in the world of flashlights. :sick2:

Off to Room 101 with the lot of 'em . . .

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Actually, it's worse than that. Not only do you have to push the button far enough to click, but you still don't get any light until you let go again.

Possibly the most vile and hateful invention in the world of flashlights. :sick2:

My Solarforce L2 is like that. No light until you release the button after pressing. It results in a short delay.

hopkins

Enlightened
Thanks for the definition.
Looked over the Welcome Mat for a heading 'reverse clicky'
first and I could also not find one after eyeball browsing.

Reminds me to let the Search function do the hard work.:whistle:

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lovecpflovecpflovecpf