Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 4)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have 3 of the Maratacs and really do like these lights and have not had any problems at all with mine. I have tried a 10440 in each and it worked fine however got pretty hot quickly.

As far as the broken heads go has anyone heard anything else about that? I have been playing with lights for as long as I can remember and have never had one just break like that from a fall. I have however broken several that looked just like the photos posted and each one was broken when I was trying to remove the internals and twisted too hard.

In all my years of dropping lights...abusing lights...testing lights...I have never had one break due to a 3 foot drop. I honestly believe there is something not right about the reports of these lights just breaking apart on impact from a small drop.

If I remember right I read in one of the continued threads that CountyComm was having a few issues with people returning these lights. It was said they asked for refunds claiming the light simply quit working however was obvious the internals had been scratched up....most likely by the user trying to remove the circuit. I would easier believe the reports of the heads just breaking off were due to the same abuse.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree ;)

what might be happening is:people are trying to get the pill unscrewed by using pliers of some sort and on opening the pliers with the nose inside the head,they're in turn putting to much pressure on the tube walls thus when they twist they're in fact twisting the tube walls SNAP! :D

[edit] oh patriot thanks but since then I've took the more permanent approach as you can see a magnet can still be used :)

As it's a keeper I decided to remove the lug once and for all :D

001-84.jpg

002-68.jpg

003-60.jpg

004-46.jpg

005-37.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good call on the lug removal Titan. That seems to work very well. It's probably what I would do with the ITP since I've grown quite fond of tail standing lights. Your magnet add an extra element.

Robo, I haven't heard any other details about the broken lights. I have seen the two examples posted and one guy stated that the light was "dropped" but who knows? We don't know if it was 3 feet or off of the roof. Mine aluminum one fell on the kitchen tile the other day but it didn't even put a mark on it. The HA finish seems plenty durable anyhow.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo, I haven't heard any other details about the broken lights. I have seen the two examples posted and one guy stated that the light was "dropped" but who knows? We don't know if it was 3 feet or off of the roof. Mine aluminum one fell on the kitchen tile the other day but it didn't even put a mark on it. The HA finish seems plenty durable anyhow.

Just 2 broken lights out of many,many ...... should be considered just a fluke.(1 bad run)

I don't think that should get so much attention , since it is not a wide spread problem.

Tesla

Enlightened
...Yep, I have one of the stainless models and got careless and dropped it in a parking lot about 2 weeks back and not even a scratch and function is still fine.

oronocova

Enlightened
The iTP is machined differently so this may not apply but I have been using mine everyday at work for weeks. It gets dropped and abused daily. ... Zero problems thus far. Watch it break today LOL

sabre7

Enlightened
Just 2 broken lights out of many,many ...... should be considered just a fluke.(1 bad run)

I don't think that should get so much attention , since it is not a wide spread problem.
Unfortunately, there will be those who dislike these lights for whatever reason who will forever continue to dredge those 2 broken lights up as though it were a very common widespread problem.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My new Maratac is stuck on high mode. Any suggestions? :shrug:

Sorry Bearcat, sounds like a problem with the circuit itself. There's not much to go wrong on these other than contact faults. What battery type are you running it it. Have you tried any others yet for diagnostic purposes?

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Please release a Ti version of this light. :poke:

I love the styling of the Maratac AAA and would love to see them release it in Ti. If they're doing it for the iTP (and again under the Olight branding), they can do it for the Maratac, right?

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please release a Ti version of this light. :poke:

I love the styling of the Maratac AAA and would love to see them release it in Ti. If they're doing it for the iTP (and again under the Olight branding), they can do it for the Maratac, right?

Inci, wouldn't you agree that the IlluminaTi is almost exactly this? I feel like it is so similar that only its knurling pattern will tell them apart... But I know what you mean... I like my Maratac... but the thing is I hate to buy the same light over and over... with the IlluminaTi we get the XP-G upgrade! :party::party::party:

MKLight

Enlightened
Was it ever made public why these lights were originally made....which government office ordered them?

Thanks,
MK

Incidentalist

Enlightened
applevision,

I might be able to concede that point next weekend when I (hopefully) have the IlluminaTi in my hands and can see them side by side. By the looks of it, you are correct. But, they made a Ti version of the iTP, so...

All I really want is another Ti AAA to add to the collection, is that so much to ask? :crazy:

Bearcat

Enlightened
Sorry Bearcat, sounds like a problem with the circuit itself. There's not much to go wrong on these other than contact faults. What battery type are you running it it. Have you tried any others yet for diagnostic purposes?

I was using a Rayovac Hybrid battery. My other Maratac AAA I ordered at the same time works just fine. I swapped batteries and it was still stuck on high beam. I really like this light a whole lot, even though I would prefer it with a low-med-high.

I just called CountryComm and spoke with Nick. He said no problem, just send it back and they would replace it. :twothumbs

Patriot

Flashaholic
=Bearcat;

I just called CountryComm and spoke with Nick. He said no problem, just send it back and they would replace it. :twothumbs

It's really great to see CC step up and help to resolve the issue you're having. I find this is very typical of their customer service though. They're 1st class people back there. Nick is a Great guy and will take excellent care of you. :)

sabre7

Enlightened
It's really great to see CC step up and help to resolve the issue you're having. I find this is very typical of their customer service though. They're 1st class people back there. Nick is a Great guy and will take excellent care of you. :)

+1 on CC customer service, I had a crooked lens/o-ring on the front of a SS Maratac AAA that was bought in a group buy and they exchanged it no problem. :twothumbs

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
applevision,

I might be able to concede that point next weekend when I (hopefully) have the IlluminaTi in my hands and can see them side by side. By the looks of it, you are correct. But, they made a Ti version of the iTP, so...

All I really want is another Ti AAA to add to the collection, is that so much to ask? :crazy:

No my brother... another light is never too much to ask for!

;)

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Maratac's and never found any issue with them.
I got the black, natural, SS and now waiting for SS polished... If they made a Ti model I'd go for it also, though I agree the IlluminaTi is an upgraded Maratac in Ti (let's see next week when I receive mine).
Regarding that broken lights reported I'm with Robocop and others about thinking it seems the result of a forced twist action and not a simple drop...