5W HD W2V in Maglite w/reflector vs. Blaster III?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired a W2V 5 watt luxeon HD and put it in a 2D Maglite using a 6AA battery holder, running it direct drive, and using the Maglite reflector, with UCL lens. My question is, how bright is this supposed to be? The reason why I ask is that I recently purchased an Elektrolumens Green Blaster III . . . . . . . .and when shining both the Maglite and the Blaster on the wall, at 6 feet or so, both hotspots appear to be about the same brightness. When I shine them out the back towards the yard, the Maglite's beam only seems marginally brighter. My question is, do I have a crappy 5 watt luxeon, or did I just get an overly bright Blaster III? My Blaster III IS a goodly amount brighter than my direct drive 3C 1 watt Radioshack mod, but I don't see how it can be as bright as this W bin 5 watt luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Of course, the side spill from the 5 watt in Maglite is obviously MUCH better, but I was hoping for a bright hotspot out of this mod.

Any questions or comments?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but Wayne says it could be a Q3. I just haven't wanted to remove the screws to look under it for the bin number.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. A Q bin is a 1W. And a W bin 5 watt is luxeon nirvana. Something is wrong with this picture if they are approaching the same output! Gotta ask... are the Mag's batts fresh?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should be pretty fresh. I can check tonight, but I bet that they're still well charged. I haven't used them that much.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I was able to check the volts. I removed the 6AA battery pack and it showed 8.5 volts, so they have been used a little. But, I don't see how another .5 volts could make THAT much difference!

Also, I'm not really sure what this proves, but when I checked the voltage at the LED leads, when the light was on, it was showing 7 volts. Does that mean anything, or is that normal under load?

Thanks for the help.

finboy1672

Newly Enlightened
I've built a couple of 5 watt V3T, V3U mods using 2D maglite and 30mm optics. Blaster III hotspot was about the same as the mods. With Mag reflector I would expect a brighter hotspot and more throw. I used to have a Space Needle II and it was much brighter than Blaster III. Have you tried using 3 CR123s?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
finboy, I don't have a holder for 3 CR123's, but I may try to make something up.

MR Bulk, I have the emitter sitting on a piece of star thickness aluminum (it actually came from a star LS, cut down). Should that have enough height to allow for the proper focusing? When I have the reflector all the way to the heatsink, I can make the hotspot smaller by moving it back out. Is there any advise you could give, since you ARE the guru of this type of setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
If you are able to defocus at lowest head height then the spacing is already good -- might be the batteries as finboy said. Just for the heck of it, drive w/123's (three of'em) inside a split length of 5/8" automotive hose (my "patented" rattle-free holder). If the brightness from that doesn't blow you away (since you'd be cloning a SpaceNeedleII) then perhaps it is not really that great of a Luxeon (since you'd Not be cloning a SpaceNeedleII). Can't think of much else, you're getting healthy V at the emitter leads and all.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably is the batteries, or a loose connection from the batts. There should be no way a 1W, even with the 30mm optic, can go head to head with a 5W in a mag head... The hotspot should be utterly pronounced and the sidespill quite livid...

In the 6AA alkaline setup, I usually get over 9.0V (usually 9.4-9.6V) with fresh batts. And under load, it drops to about 7.2-7.5V...

The 3xCR123 setup should clear things up... One thing to look at is the direct eye comparison of the two LSs without their optics/reflectors... If both bare LSs look similar in brightness, or if you have a light meter, and the bare 5Wer doest give you at least double the lux reading as the bare 1Wer (lux reading from 1m away), there's something else wrong...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try the 3 CR123 setup as well as checking all of the connections. I don't have [or have access to] a light meter, so I'm just eyeballing it. I will also compare the two with the optics off to see what that will reveal.

Thanks guys!! I'll let you all know what I find out.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put in new batteries, with volts around 9.5, and about 7.3 volts under load and it still isn't a whole lot brighter [in the hot spot] than my Blaster III. I'm at a loss. I guess until I can make a 3 CR123 battery holder, I'm not sure what the problem can be. The reflector is still shiney. . . . .

Can someone post a picture with similar setups?

Perhaps someone with both a Space Needle and a Blaster III?

Thanks for helping me explore this question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try to shine them on the dark room one at a time to see which one light the room better?
Perhaps the lumens output from the 5W do not go to the reflector as they have to.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, overall, the 5W definitely lights up the room better than the Blaster. The side spill is very good with this mod. It is just the hotspot that I think is lacking, . . unless I think it should be brighter than what these type of mods produce. That's why I was wanting someone to do a side by side test of these two type of flashlights so I can see what I should expect out of the Mag Mod.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone else doesn't provide some by then, I'll get a shot of a 30mm optic-based HD (Elektrolumen's headlamp) and my Space Needle II later tonight (~10pm PST)... Waitin' for my digicam to return to me... BTW, the hotspot for the 30mm optics is no slouch either. It's quite bright, even for a high dome 1Wer. In fact, I did remember quite a few people mistakenly take it for a 5Wer when it's only 1W...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, FalconFX. That's what I'm questioning. As I stated above, the 1 watt LED that I have in that 3C Radioshack running direct isn't as bright as the Blaster III, even though both have the 30mm optic.

Thanks, in advance, for taking the picture.

But, I DID manage to McGuiver a CR123 holder lastnight and the output did improve over the 6AA setup. I was using the Sanyo (purchased from Botach) for the test. One thing I DID notice about this setup is the weight, . . or lack thereof. Super light for that level of output! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Anyway, I await the pictures of the comparison! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... My roommate, unfortunately, hasn't returned from his campin' trip yet, so no digicam to do the beamshots (crossin' the fingers he returns today)...

But from what it sounds, it's looking like a somewhat exhausted battery then... And the lithiums do make it extremely light. One of my friends commented once that there was no batteries in there when she stuck it (Space Needle) to her eyes and pressed the switch...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops! I meant to say that I AM using [new] Sanyo batteries, Sanyo CR123's from Botach. I also have some Surefire 123's. Are they supposed to be better than the Sanyo?

Yeah, it IS as if the batteries aren't even in there when it comes to weight. I like that fact.

I will await the pictures whenever your camera is returned. I will be away from my computer tomorrow and the weekend, so you'll have plenty of time to post the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again for the pics. I'm anxious to see how they turn out.