KL4 as TID?

alberto

Enlightened
I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet (I don't think anybody has), but in looking over my new L4, the front end of the bezel looks like it was designed to be a kind of TID, unlike the smooth front of a E2e or KL1. It's got fairly sharp serrated edges and could do some damage in a defensive situation if used forcefully.

Am I just imagining an additional unadvertised "feature" of the L4 or has anyone else noticed it too? Just another reason to EDC this fine light, in my opinion.

Darell

Flashaholic
The newest bezels have the scaloped edge now to allow light to escape when placed nose down on a flat surface. Apparently this is to allow a visiual indication that the light is still on.

The latest KL1s have this feature as well.

avusblue

Enlightened
OK I'm an idiot. What is a "TID"? I've seen it mentioned many times and can tell from context that it is some sort of aggressive (serrated or "pokey") bezel that allows the business end of a flashlight to be better used as a weapon. But what does the acronym stand for? I did a forum search, and looked on LED Museum's acronym list, with no joy.

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Dave

alberto

Enlightened
Tactical Impact Device (TID)

The explanation about scalloping seems reasonable, although I never considered that (knowing that the light is on when face down) to be a problem needing a solution. But why are the edges so sharp? They could have scalloped with much smoother edges. Still wondering......

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it stands for Tactical Impact Device, aka DNA-collector, cookie-cutter, persuasion device, etc

picture (courtesy of tad):
TID.jpg

you can see why the scalloped bezel of the L4 or newer KL1s don't really qualify as a TID in view of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I checked my KL4 bezel, and there are definitely some scallops or flutes in it, but they're not sharp and I can't see anyone purposefully using it as a TID.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The scallops won't rip your skin, but I'd imagine if you took to a sharpener, who knows... Then again, say goodbye to the HA...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Latest posts