Sportsman's Guide 240 lumen LED?

GSRswapandslow

Newly Enlightened
new here....don't have much in the way of nice lights..but just some cheap ones from places like walmart and what not. just got a terralux bulb/heatsink in my 3d maglite (nice when it'll come on..but likes to not come on after only a week, oh well)

but i'm here to ask a question concering this light:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rechargeable-240-lumen-tactical-light.aspx?a=569506

is it decent? my g/f's dad wants a strobe capable light to carry (he's a chicken truck driver and needs a decent light for saftey and illumination since he makes a few stops/trips every night) he saw this one and likes it, but there's just not much for review or info on the net i could find.

if this ISN'T a good deal...is there anything in this price range that IS? just as long as it's on the smaller side, black, has a strobe, and is aluminum i think he'll be happy. he's got prob 15 maglites, a few $20-30 big store LED lights, and a few nano key chain lights...but just nothing GOOD.

thanks

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
If its not too late, I'd give the Dorcy 41-4299 a good look.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/showprod...chargeable-cree-xre-led-flashlight-w-adaptors

For $55 you can get 220 lumens with a sheath and extra battery. Order the light from Dorcydirect.com with free shipping for $42 and the battery and sheath from are each $6 with free shipping (after using coupon code FALL). It doesn't have a strobe, but I don't see a huge advantage to having a strobe in his situation. The light also comes with a car charger, so if he uses it while he's on the run he can charge up between stops. Add the extra battery just in case, and he's set. Plenty of flood and great throw, aluminum body with knurling. For a budget light, I'd take this route. Another possibility (smaller than the dorcy) is an EagleTac P100A2, 55/195 lumens on 2 AA's with a sheath and lanyard for around $50. Again, no strobe but a great light with knurling, variable output, and a good sheath. There are many lights with strobe functions, just none that I can personally suggest. I'm sure someone else can chime in with a suggestion if the strobe is a must. Good luck!

oronocova

Enlightened
Doesn't look too bad... That said I think for about the same price or less a SolarForce L2 or L2p will give you the ability to chose a different drop in as time goes on without buying a whole new light. A guy on here sells them at sbflashlights.com I have two and they are pretty awesome for the money.

Only possible draw back is they use 123 lithium cells. To me this is a non issue since you can get them cheap online... but to a lot of people it is a problem especially if they don't buy online.

Hey does he haul chickens or does he drive a "chicken truck." If you don't know as him that question and he'll explain it!

My father also drives, he loves the iTP 3-mode I gave him. Says he uses it every day. Fits in a shirt pocket and you'll never know you need it till you find it. Runs on a single AAA GoingGear.com sells them.

GSRswapandslow

Newly Enlightened
i'm fairly certain he hauls them. makes 2-3 trips a night here in NC.

i'll show him this link though...cause he just wants a decent light to carry while in the truck.

gunner15

Newly Enlightened
I purchase quite a few things from Sportsman's Guide and find them a very reputable Company but the advertising on this particular light isn't quite right. I ordered one because of the strobe feature but on this light the strobe just lets you know you are running out of battery. I couldn't find the strobe mode so I called S.G. and that is what they told me, I sent it back and my cc was credited as soon as they received the flashlight back. This particular light I was not impressed with. You can call them to verify my statement.
Semper Fi,
Gunner15

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're still open to suggestions, I bought an 18650 light from deal extreme a year or two ago that is full speed only but it IS bright and lasts a long time and good looking and to me it seems to be of good quality. I like it a lot and it's around 35 shipped I Think.

If you're interested, just let me know here or pm me and I"ll send you the link

George

johnboy777

Newly Enlightened
""he's a chicken truck driver and needs a decent light for saftey and illumination since he makes a few stops/trips every night""

Sorry, I have to ask. What's a chicken truck driver?

Does he haul chickens or is he a truck driver who's chicken?:shrug:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's in NC, he definitely hauls chickens :)

I live in NC and there's a $hitload of them everywhere. I even worked in a chicken plant, loading trucks. Man, I used to feel soo sorry for them chickins when I'd see them in the trucks all packed in, in the cages, NOT knowing where they were going.

Granted, they tasted great but I still felt sorry for them. Does that make me a hypocrite?

:sigh:

johnboy777

Newly Enlightened
""Granted, they tasted great but I still felt sorry for them. Does that make me a hypocrite?""

No, if you told everyone not to eat chickens, then ate chicken, that would make you a hypocrite...I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good, 'cause I don't like'em myself, hypocrites that is :)

See, now DM51's got me all curious as to what the joke was...my head will explode if I don't find out :poof:

So, where in NC is this chickin' driver at original poster?

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I was just looking at the Sportsman's Guide light myself. The claim sounded fantastic: 240 lumens and rechargeable, and it's only 6 inches long and under 50 bucks. This is nearly twice the light and less than half the price of the 8½ inch Pelican 7060 I use every day at work.

I went online http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=598952
and looked at their little product video. I saw the "Guard Dog" name on the light. The beam, if you can call it that, is not at all well collimated.

Looking at the Dorcy linked here, I'd say the two are VERY similar physically. Might be the same light (or same manufacturer), only no second battery from Sportsman's Guide and slightly different lumen claims.

Damn, until I saw that video I had hope. I guess if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. My Pelican 7060 has a cracked end cap and I'd like to send it back for repair. I have a Streamlight Polytac LED in my pocket as backup, but but don't want to buy lithium batteries if I can avoid it.

If anyone is using the Sportsman's Guide "tactical" rechargeable, I am still curious...

nealkempf63

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got a similar dilemma as the original poster. I've decided to upgrade my everyday carry flashlight, and my uncle brought this Sportsman's Guide light to my attention. I'm just curious if anyone has since bought one and used it, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

My initial thoughts were to just bite the bullet and spring for a Strion C4, as I have a new Stinger at work, and can't say enough good things about it. However, for just a personal use light, I just don't know if I can justify dumping that much money for the Streamlight.

Anyone care to weigh in further?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
This light is rebranded by about half a dozen different retailers. I played around with a non-recharge capable version and it was... meh, OK... nothing to get excited over. Low BIN XRE (at that time), questionable heatsinking expect output in the 160L range, I would be surprised if it did more than 200.