AVG 9.0 Installation Problems- AARGH!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being on dial-up can have its fair share of problems, but this one probably tops them all.

Like most folks with AVG I currently have 8.5 installed. I downloaded 9.0, but because my connection's so slow I have to wait overnight to completely download the file. I then try to install it and halfway through it gives me an error message: Unable to continue installation.

WTF???

So I downloaded it again (waited overnight of course), only to find it still won't install. I think I'm just going to switch over to another antivirus, but I'm not going to give up quite yet.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably get someone to download the software for you and burn it to a disk, or toss it on a USB drive.

DM51

Flashaholic
I had to spend a long time trying to debug my system after installing AVG 9.0. It's a complete PITA, so I've now uninstalled it. Good riddance to it.

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
problem with A*G is that some types of viruses manages to slip into my system and its not detected by it when i do scans.

tried to download 9.0 version but got the same reply.
i just had to back up my files and format my PC (needs to be formatted anyway). after formatting i downloaded 9.0 without any problem.

same situation happened in my office PC. but my officemate installed
another antivirus( aside from A*G 9.0) and wow it detected 27 INFECTIONS!
it seems if a virus manages to embed itself in your system it blocks any
attempt to download updates or antivirus programs from the internet

im not an expert here but just speaking from experience.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've upgraded 3 machines from AVG free 8.5 to 9.0. Everyone of them started acting up. Slower boot times, programs dragging, got the first Blue Screen on the Vista box, Windows started randomly loosing program focus, larger DL's using the browser would be 'mismanaged', memory usage would then skyrocket until things just stopped. - Caused the XP box to BS that never has before also.

AVG free 9.0 has had at least 3 version updates already that I know of. I think they're trying to remedy the problems but haven't as yet as far as I've seen.

Googling it you'll find references to their new Link Scanner in this version as part of the problems. I disabled that on recommendation on 2 of the machines but just have not had time to play with them to see if it helped or fixed anything.

My main machine is a relatively new build of Vista. Despite the bashing Vista receives, this home built & clean install has been working just fine. I prefer it to the XP box fer sure.

Anyway, I got fed up with the AVG 9 problems on it - got rid of all traces of it I could find, and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It has gotten good reviews so I'm giving it a shot.

So far so good. The machine boots a bit faster. Programs respond better, and the machine just seems snappier all around. All the problems have vanished. Check out some the reviews in the link above and judge for yourselves. I don't think I'll be going back to AVG.

dudemar: I'd hate to see you finally be successful at DL'ing 9, only to give you problems. I'd wait, try and follow whether or not AVG gets er fixed by December 1. That's the current deadline for new 8.5 updates. Or, you could just try MSE. It's a smaller DL also.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bother installing it, AVG 9.0 is an absolute mess right now.

They should not have been released until they resolved the problems (paid and free versions).

It locked up one of our computers almost instantly and the other one had numerous issues as well.

I finally got fed up and re-installed AVG 8.5 - all the problems went away.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I've been using AVG Free for about 4 years now, with NO problems at all.

Then I installed AVG Free 9, and it's been a pain in the butt: my computer is MUCH slower booting up, and EVERYTHING takes MUCH LONGER than it use to. :sick:

I wish I could uninstall AVG Free 9, and reinstall AVG Free 8.5.

But of course, the install file for AVG Free 8.5 is no longer available. :scowl:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could uninstall AVG Free 9, and reinstall AVG Free 8.5.

But of course, the install file for AVG Free 8.5 is no longer available. :scowl:
That's too bad. They really botched this release.

I always keep copies of several previous versions of the full install package in a safe place in case something like this happens.

Max_Power

Enlightened
I ran AVG a long time ago but when I built up a new machine I took a close look at the AV software that's now available and went with Avast. Avast has a good reputation for both the free and pay versions. I am running it on my desktop now and it is pretty good at not annoying me, except for when it updated the virus database while I was playing an online game :). (That's configurable...)

Best regards,
Max_Power

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AVG folks are talking about delaying the end of support for 8.5 due to the amount of problems with 9.0.

8.5 is currently scheduled to "drop dead" on December 1.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I can wait another week until support completely drops from AVG.

I encourage anyone else experiencing the same problems to post 'em here. It certainly makes me feel better that I'm not alone.

Superdave

Enlightened
I have 9.0 Free, no problems here... I've also put it on several other PC's without any issues.

Where are you guys downloading it from? I always use Download.com for this sort of thing...

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
I've had AVG Free Edition 9.0.709 installed for about a week on a new Windows 7 system and haven't had any problems (that I know of). My only problems on this system have been graphics related, and I doubt AVG is involved with that.

BTW, Windows 7 is very cool. I had 0 experience with Vista, so I can't compare, but compared to XP it's really nice.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I have 9.0 Free, no problems here... I've also put it on several other PC's without any issues.

Where are you guys downloading it from? I always use Download.com for this sort of thing...

I should mention that I didn't have any problems INSTALLING AVG 9, the problem is that it really slows down my computer.

I'm running XP on a 3 year old, custom built computer with an Intel dual core processor, and 2 gigs of RAM. The video card has 246 megs of RAM.

It USED to be a really, really FAST computer. Not since I installed AVG 9 though. :sigh:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed AVG 9 on my GF's laptop, and I havn't been able to notice any (additional) problems with it. Of course it's so slow normally that there's no way to tell....

A permanent solution to this problem is to switch to a reliable Linux distribution, like Fedora or Ubuntu, and rarely have to worry about getting a virus, spyware, or malware even without any antivirus. :poke:

Superdave

Enlightened
I should mention that I didn't have any problems INSTALLING AVG 9, the problem is that it really slows down my computer.

I'm running XP on a 3 year old, custom built computer with an Intel dual core processor, and 2 gigs of RAM. The video card has 246 megs of RAM.

It USED to be a really, really FAST computer. Not since I installed AVG 9 though. :sigh:

I have it on an old home built system as well. Athalon 2800+, 1 gig of DDR1 ram and iirc the video card has 256 mb of ram. I didn't notice any issues with speed. XP SP3.

The only problem i have is with pidgin, it causes lost focus randomly when it's not the focus window..

is your computer slowing down when it's scanning or just all the time?