Warning: ARC LS almost confiscated on MALTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler

Enlightened
I was on a vacation on Malta the last 2 weeks (VERY nice there, make also a trip to GOZO!). I wanted to let you know that my Arc Ls was almost confiscated on the airport there.

On the flight to Malta I had no problems. The security-guy in the Netherlands was very curious about the ARC LS and found it very special (of course...) . No problems to take a flashlight with you!

On the flight back (at Malta airport) they looked with the whole security team at the LS. First they didn't know how to switch that thing on. And when they managed they got that expression on their face 'that MUST be a weapon' as they were blinded. They asked me 'what for you are using this light'. How to explain that?! The explanation that I was using it as a diving light was not very convincing since I walk on this moment with sticks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Finally one officer said that i may keep this light but that in fact he would have to keep it (for his own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif?!).

I did not want to leave in in my suitcase, perhaps I will do next time. I was happy that they did not search my hand luggage further, I think I would not have had a good explanation for my E1e-KL1, other Arc LS , power packs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So if you go to MALTA, be warned! Your (Arc LS) could be confiscated!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
And when they managed they got that expression on their face 'that MUST be a weapon' as they were blinded.

[/ QUOTE ]

They each must have had a nice big bowl of stupid for breakfast... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
'what for you are using this light'

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing in the dark, perhaps?????

Saaby

Flashaholic
Sounds like when I mailed out my Arc LS (To Arc) and insurred it for like $150 (I was sending in a AAA as well).

"That must be a pretty special flashlight"
Yup
"What do you use a light like that for?"
Uhh...comitting Mail fraud? I mean..uhh..seeing in the dark...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the question of "why do you need a flashlight this bright" to be quite offensive...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I too think Malta is beautiful and worth a visit - in regards to the ARC LS issue I want to add that Malta is the only place where I ever had an ATM machine NOT give me any money but still charge me for the requested amount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

All this might be related to Malta´s pirat history though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I forgot which airport at which this happened. Him-- (Suspiciously) "Why do you need a flashlight on an airliner"? Me--"For the same reason I always request a seat next to the emergency egress door"! I was ushered through~QUICKLY!~ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
weapon?
maybe a fistpack?

[ QUOTE ]
Whistler said:
I was on a vacation on Malta the last 2 weeks (VERY nice there, make also a trip to GOZO!). I wanted to let you know that my Arc Ls was almost confiscated on the airport there.

On the flight to Malta I had no problems. The security-guy in the Netherlands was very curious about the ARC LS and found it very special (of course...) . No problems to take a flashlight with you!

On the flight back (at Malta airport) they looked with the whole security team at the LS. First they didn't know how to switch that thing on. And when they managed they got that expression on their face 'that MUST be a weapon' as they were blinded. They asked me 'what for you are using this light'. How to explain that?! The explanation that I was using it as a diving light was not very convincing since I walk on this moment with sticks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Finally one officer said that i may keep this light but that in fact he would have to keep it (for his own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif?!).

I did not want to leave in in my suitcase, perhaps I will do next time. I was happy that they did not search my hand luggage further, I think I would not have had a good explanation for my E1e-KL1, other Arc LS , power packs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So if you go to MALTA, be warned! Your (Arc LS) could be confiscated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I left the USA after visiting Shelby in New York, I had a rucksack full of SureFires and WeaponLights -
They asked to see the big flashlight after I went through the x-ray so I pulled out the 950-06 9V WeaponLight with P91 in it.
They said, not that one - the big one. The Pelican Super SabreLite 3C. They were concerned I'd use it as a weapon.

I certainly won't be going to Malta with a carry-on full of flashlights after reading your post. Thanks for the headsup!

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
They asked to see the big flashlight after I went through the x-ray so I pulled out the 950-06 9V WeaponLight with P91 in it.
They said, not that one - the big one. The Pelican Super SabreLite 3C. They were concerned I'd use it as a weapon.

--------------------------------

I'd hate to see their reactions if I had a 6C or 6D Mag with me...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.