JetBeam MX1 or Fenix TK 30

jac21

Newly Enlightened

Any suggestions between these two lights.

looking for a good spill & throw combination. (wide with distance)

Thanks!

gilly

Enlightened
The M1X has a stainless steel bezel (more durable if dropped / won't get chewed up with use over time). Also has a simpler User Interface - only two modes (user settable / max). The TK30 UI is definitely more complex.

The M1X is a proven, reliable machine. I've carried mine on duty as a cop and many others have also.

I'm sure the Fenix is a great light though - they make good products.

Can't go wrong with either most likely, but my experience is with the M1X.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The M1X has a stainless steel bezel (more durable if dropped / won't get chewed up with use over time). Also has a simpler User Interface - only two modes (user settable / max). The TK30 UI is definitely more complex.

The TK30 is exactly the same, two modes, one with head tight, one with head loose. On the M1X you can change the head loose mode to anything you wish, the head tight mode is always full power. On TK30 you can select between 3 predefines settings for head loose/tight.

The M1X is a more solid light, the steel ring on the bezel helps with that.

The M1X can use 2x18650 batteries and have full power in shorter configuration. The TK30 can use 1x18650 with reduced power, but it makes it a very short MC-E light.

It looks like the TK30 is using exactly the same reflector as TK40, i.e. exactly same beam profile.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
looking for a good spill & throw combination. (wide with distance)

I don't own a TK30, so I can't really comment on it, but the M1X is mostly about TTTTHHHHRRRROOOOOOWWWWW! It is really a long throwing flashlight. It's OK for walking around, it does have a reasonable amount of spill, but if you are looking for something more balanced, then this might not be your light.

I really like my M1X, and the amazing throw, UI, and long runtime on two 18650's at moderate output (30% brightness on this light is still bright as hell for walking around at night) really sold me on the light. But I do notice that it has less spill than some other lights I own. Still, it's a useful, general purpose light.

Best of luck whatever your choice.

dudu84

Enlightened

I was thinking "hard" about this just a couple of days ago, but decided to order TK30 instead.

M1X:
Main pros
-All parts can be disassembled for repair or upgrade (such as swapping with a neutral white MC-E)
-IBS circuit to select desired brightness level

Main cons
-Output is not as high as some other MC-E lights (I think a drop in output in the first few mins indicates insufficient heat-sinking, as seen in Selfbuilt's review)

TK30:
Main pros
-Will probably be extremely tough, based on TK40 torture test result.
-High efficiencies on all modes. This is important for me because I will use lower modes at least half of the time.
-1x18650 configuration could be quite compact with decent output

Main cons
-VERY difficult or even impossible to mod, will become outdated after a couple of years in terms of brightness. This also means no neutral white :shakehead

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
By "more complex" let me give you an example:

You are out in the dark (let's say camping) completing a closeup task while at the same time trying to preserve your night vision. You are using your M1X at its minimum setting of 10 lumens. You hear a crashing sound in the woods nearby and want to go to max with your light immediately - it could be a bear...

With the M1X all I have to do is tighten the head.

With the TK30, if I'm in the 12-lumen mode (output A of Camping Mode), to get to max I would have to tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen the head within .5 seconds to get to Hunting Mode and your max output.

Now the "noise in the woods" has gone away and I want to get back to my minimum setting again.

With the M1X, you simply loosen the head a bit - and you are done.

With the TK30, you need to tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen TWICE more to cycle out of Hunting Mode, through Searching Mode and back to Camping Mode.

So, would you say the UI of the TK30 is the SAME as the M1X in this case, or a bit more complex?:)

HKJ

Flashaholic
By "more complex" let me give you an example:

That was one example, matching the fixed and a preselected low on M1X, another example could be that you would like to use the low inside the tent and want a middle level outside, on TK30 you just tighten the head when you go out, on M1X you have to switch it on/off 3 times, wait until it has an acceptable output level, then switch it off, wait some time, switch it on again. When going back in again, TK30: loosen head, M1X: same sequence again.

With TK30 you have a simple light, as long as you can use the fixed levels from one group.
With M1X you has one level fixed at max., the other can be programmed, but you do not want to do that all the time. This makes the light much more flexible than TK30, but adds some complexity.

Supermomo

Newly Enlightened
I agree TK30 is a bit complicate to operate when you want to switch from 12lm to 630lm especially when you are not used to the UI, but I don't think I will ever use 12lm when walking in the wood. Usually I leave it at searching mode so I can go 100lm to 630lm instantly. 12 lumen is kind dark for me to walk in the wood.

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Im also debating on these 2 lights at the moment i only noticed the tk30 existed about 20 min ago lol.

I have one fenix light and love it the tk11 never had a jetbeam so not sure what to go with to be honest.

The tk30 quotes 630 lumen and the jetbeam quotes Max Output: 450 Lumen (Torch Lumen) / 700 Lumen (LED Lumen) so what would the fenix's 630 lumen be torch lumen or led lumen ? Any1

Has anyone got the tk30 if so wots it like ? Im a security gaurd on construction sites usuall open so looking for a nice light to search the place now and againe although my tk11 and dereelights do the job fine you can never have to much lights lol.

Thanks

chef4850

Enlightened
go for the M1-x you will impressed with the machining and quality of this light. I have several fenix light and they are great! but jetbeam is so much better and worth a look at. go with the jetbeam! you will end up wishing you did.

Chef

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
ill end up getting both in the end haha addictive, this site costs me to much money lol just not sure wot one i want havnt seen much info on the tk30 but heard its a very nice light.

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Just went and orderd the tk30 now its the waiting game as im in scotland and orderd it from the us lol its alot cheaper.

Looks liked ill be going for the m1x in january