Fenix TK40 and rechargeables suggestions?

coldpointcrossing

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on a one stop shop?

Hey. I've been looking at the TK40 as of lately. It seems like a good light that I would/could use at work. I will definitely need to use rechargeables which would be charged about every two to three days (maybe more frequently depending on when I'm needed). Also, extra carriers with fresh batteries (eneloops?) to keep on hand, and a decent quality charger (who makes?) that can charge at the very minimum 4xaa's at a time (and hopefully condition if needed - I'm not very battery savvy).

I stress that this light will be used and treated as a tool on a daily basis. Thanks for any advice.

Lightsman

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the TK40 as of lately. It seems like a good light that I would/could use at work.
The TK40 is a great light (I have one) but for daily use may be too heavy. The 8 AA cells makes it heavy in comparsion to a 2x18650 light like a TK30 or M1X.
I will definitely need to use rechargeables which would be charged about every two to three days (maybe more frequently depending on when I'm needed).
That is a great idea and saves a lot money :)
Also, extra carriers with fresh batteries (eneloops?) to keep on hand,
Therefore I'm not sure if the TK40 is a good ligt to keep it every day at work. Carrying a TK40 and also carrying 8 spare batteries... I'd use a TK30 or a M1X (or a similar flashlight ) using 2x 18650 LiIon cells and buy a pila charger. You have a not so heavy flashlight and must only carry 2x18650 cells...
and a decent quality charger (who makes?) that can charge at the very minimum 4xaa's at a time (and hopefully condition if needed - I'm not very battery savvy).
Chargers for NiMH are today no problem anymore. A charger for charging 4 cells should be no problem. I have a NiMH charger charging up to 12 AA or AAA cells. I have a "Ansmann Energy 16". but this device is as far as I know only available in Germany / Europe.
5207123-NiBC-Energy16-EU-bu-RGB-web400.jpg

big vin

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to use it on a daily basis is it not wiser/cheaper to buy a much more compact lithium powered torch? If you would buy a lamp powered by one or two 18650's and buy a couple of spare batt's you can have more output and more runtime for less money i would think?

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TK40 & I love it :D

Get the Duracell branded eneloops (8AA + 2AAA) at costo for $18. Not sure if they have anymore left, but I picked up the last Eneloop value pack (8AA + 2AA + charger) at costco for $19. The Duraloops are actually Sanyo Eneloops inside of Duracell packaging, you can tell because they're white underneath the wrapper. If they're black underneath that means they're probably Rayovac Hybrids.

Lightsman

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TK40 & I love it
It is a great light no question... I also have one, but not perfect as EDC.... :)
Get the Duracell branded eneloops (8AA + 2AAA)...
As far as I know Sanyo does not offer the LSD NiMH to others. Sanyo LSD-NiMH are only sold as "Eneloop".

From what I know there are only 3 companies making LSD-NiMH cells (GP, Yuasa and Sanyo). Only the first two companies offers licenses to rebadge the cells with other names.
The Duraloops are actually Sanyo Eneloops inside of Duracell packaging, you can tell because they're white underneath the wrapper. If they're black underneath that means they're probably Rayovac Hybrids.
I'm really not sure if this are Eneloops....

droeun

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know Sanyo does not offer the LSD NiMH to others. Sanyo LSD-NiMH are only sold as "Eneloop".

From what I know there are only 3 companies making LSD-NiMH cells (GP, Yuasa and Sanyo). Only the first two companies offers licenses to rebadge the cells with other names.

I'm really not sure if this are Eneloops....

Pretty sure they are - take a look at these threads:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242118&highlight=duraloop

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2996692#post2996692

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190608&highlight=duraloop

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218956&highlight=duraloop

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218481&highlight=duraloop

coldpointcrossing

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, back up and running. Sometimes the latest and greatest isn't. And it almost always comes with bugs. To the Admin(s) - not your fault at all.

Anyway back to business. I should have been a bit more indepth with my interest with the TK40. My employer supplies me with a 6 volt lantern for night calls that is really inadequate regarding the work required. It is bulky, heavy, and underpowered.

The lantern was originally supplied with a filament bulb but that has since been replaced with a LED drop-in. Even still, it is very underpowered. I purchased a Strion C4 rechargeable some time ago to supplement my lantern and as a back-up but have found myself relying on the C4 more as a primary and just shutting off the lantern due to the C4's performance putting the supplied unit to shame.

Since being used to my lantern's size and weight, I believe I will not have issue with the TK's and feel that I will gain in every area.

Thanks for sharing concerns.

Any suggestions on building a complete "package" focused around the TK40 and rechargeables? My OP describes what I'm looking for in general.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Don't think those are low self discharge, meaning they will deplete themselves in a week or two, just sitting on the shelves. Unless you plan on using them right away they're pretty much pointless. On the other hand, you can let a Sanyo Eneloop sit on the shelf for a year (newer models can sit 3 years) and they'll still maintain 80% of their initial charge. The longer shelf life makes up for the slightly lower capacity.

coldpointcrossing

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on a quality charger? I'll be needing a station with the smart feature. If it could handle more than just AA's would be a plus!

As an aside - I've a 4D-cell Mag that's begging for good rechargeables. I had the Magcharger but it came up "missing" shortly after purchasing. Lost about a C-note on that! Bummer.

mfm

Enlightened
I would go for Sanyo 2700 mAh in your case (since you don't need LSD) and some charger that would charge them with atleast 1-2A.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Get eneloops. They offer better performance under load, better charge retention as they age, with only a mild hit in runtime. They are also a little more tolerant of over-discharging. Charging at 1A is probably sufficient, and using a charger w/8 bays or more will save $$ vs. 2x4 bay chargers - if not, at least it's more convenient.

Last edited:

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up this charger this week. I am very pleased with its functions and ability, from amazon.com for free shipping.

La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger

I also ordered a bunch more eneloops AAA and AA with it.

I'll probably buy my TK40 in January.

did somebody post how much it weighs with full batteries loaded?

stockae92

Enlightened
i wonder if costco still has the enelope special

i am just about to get 8 AA from amazon for $24 i think

btw, is the TK40 safe to run in high (225 lumen) with alkaline?