Combining random parts

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Romisen RC-N3 II from shiningbeam with a dead driver and it has been sitting under my desk for about half a year. I also have recently acquired a SSC P4 emitter (not entirely sure about this one, it came from an IKEA Jansjo lamp and a thread said that it was a P4).

My brother works in the IKEA lighting department so when the converter for the lamp died he knew that it'd be better to give the LED portion to me than to throw it away.

The P4 is on a star inside a aluminum enclosure thing but it works.

I've been using a gerber firecracker with the clickie tailcap from my Romisen ever since my Romisen died and it's been mice to have such a small light but it's a little disappointing having to downgrade in light output.

So in an attempt to to return the Romisen to almost good condition, I'm thinking of somehow combining these parts with a Madmax Lite (to be decided on).

So, a few questions:

Which is brighter: the P4 or the Q5? (the Q5, right?)
Is the Madmax Lite suitable for this? Should I pick a different driver?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighter - depends on P4 bin. for example, P4U2 is more efficient (brighter) than q5. Might be written on back of star.
Dunno what madmaxlite is. Even better, Shiningbeam **may** have some rominsen drivers for you: the leads are not soldered so *maybe they weren't added to the site yet* but it sounds like you're comfortable doing this sort of work anyway so I encourage you should email them. (I just bought an amazing mc-e driver for $6.50 from him! awesome little site, wish it would expand)
Best,
Linger

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
The Madmax Lite is from the Sandwich Shoppe.

The star seems to be glued down with some kind of thermal epoxy; I know it's thermal because the casing around it gets warm after running it off a battery and a resistor and I know it's epoxy because it isn't moving.

I looked up the data sheets for both the Q5 and SSC P4 and both seems to be run ant 350 ma. If I've got this right, the MM Lite should be okay as a driver, right? Will the Cree be okay?

MWClint

Enlightened
the madmax lite will work fine with either the p4 or the cree. 350mah is well under max spec and will provide excellent battery life.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
the madmax lite will work fine with either the p4 or the cree. 350mah is well under max spec and will provide excellent battery life.

If 350 ma is under-driving, would the NANJG 28 from DX (I believe the "high" outputs 1000 ma) be too much or just right?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
an excellent combo is a 3 mode driver with 50-100ma, 350ma, 1000ma (or rough approximations there of).
Unf. most from KD / DX will also add 2 flashing modes to these.

Also consider what power source you're using. Many people (myself included) will direct drive a beater light, but if you're not comfortable by all means drivers are excellent components and I do get much more use out of multi-mode lights.