McGizmo Haiko

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo Haiku

I remember back in 1986, I just HAD to have a Rolex. 4 years out of college, unmarried, my first good job, small apartment => all equals a bit of extra cash to burn. So I bought a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in stainless steel for $1300. People thought I was crazy! A WATCH for $1300? No diamonds? It doesn't light up or have a calculator or do the time in all the different time zones?

Nope. Just a watch.

Well, guess what - 23 years later, that watch is still working perfectly, never been in the shop, same band and crystal, it is self-winding so no batteries, and it still looks as timeless today as it did then. No doubt, as you can see, it is scratched up, but this is the original crystal! (edit from the first post - in that one I said, "A few scratches..." The look and the quality are 'timeless.'

And that's the way I feel about my new McGizmo Haiku! (The light and the watch kind of look alike, don't they?) ;)

IMG_1879.JPG

"What!!?? Over $400 for a 'small' flashlight? What, no strobe? Only 3 levels? You mean it doesn't have 400 lumens?"

No, but what it does have is a 'love it or hate it' timeless design, and build quality that has proven to be up to the most rigorous abuse (not that I will intentionally abuse it!) It isn't the smallest or the lightest, but it 'feels right' in my big hands.

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

And the design is functional – almost as if the light's body and head function as heat sinks.
IMG_1871.JPG

I've never liked clips before, but this clip is usable – strong enough and wide enough to clip onto even the thickest fabric.
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG

I don't really think this light is about 'beamshots' – and there have been many posted so I won't bore you. Still, I thought it would be interesting to compare it to a couple – the Quark Titanium 123 and Surefire LX2. Photos with details below.
IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1769.jpg

So, I am thrilled with my new light. I've been told that some of the CPF "old timers" have enough of these to use as chess pieces. For now, I have only this one, but I could see myself being easily tempted to add to the collection.

I see this light being with me all the time – and someday I'll pass it, along with my Rolex (maybe with a new crystal), to my son – even if it is another 20 years, both will most likely still be working, and both will still be timeless!
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG

:twothumbs

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My New Haiku

Where is the shot of the light next to the watch? Nice Pics!!

Thanks - that photo will be posted soon - haven't been wearing the watch and too lazy to get it and take the photo! You've inspired me - I'll do it soon!

Huntsville - great town. I'm originally from T-Town!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Agree with the OP. And the Haiku has one of the best of not the best beam coming out of a reflector ever. Best field of vision perfectly adapted to the brightness.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agree with the OP. And the Haiku has one of the best of not the best beam coming out of a reflector ever. Best field of vision perfectly adapted to the brightness.

Agreed. I didn't comment on the beam, but after a couple of walks with the light in early morning darkness I am very pleased by how usable the beam is. It isn't the brightest, but then again, it gives all the light I need - and is VERY bright on high.

This is a light meant to be used. Not a shelf queen - although one might be tempted - but once you have it in your hands you realize how solid and well-built it is. I'm sure it could be damaged, but you'd really have to work at it. No, this is no shelf queen. The beam is great and the construction is solid as a rock. I could not be more pleased. Heck, I may have to pick up a McClicky mule for an upcoming Milky mod!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

The beam profile of the McGizmo lights is unmatched.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

glad to see a comparison of the Quark ti & the Haiku. I plan to get a haiku for my Christmas present ( hey a man has to splurge once in awhile:thumbsup:)

great pics

LumensMaximus

Enlightened

And that's the way I feel about my new McGizmo Haiku!

"What!!?? Over $400 for a 'small' flashlight? What, no strobe? Only 3 levels? You mean it doesn't have 400 lumens?"

No, but what it does have is a 'love it or hate it' timeless design, and build quality that has proven to be up to the most rigorous abuse (not that I will intentionally abuse it!) It isn't the smallest or the lightest, but it 'feels right' in my big hands.

+1 :D

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice comments- well put. I was thinking what my next titanium light would be after my Spy 007- I think you made up my mind! :D

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

The simple things are the most timeless things!

I've got no Rolex, just don't like them, too flashy for me, so I got a Longines. All stainless steel, brushed, long-lasting battery, nothing else. Like your Rolex, it just shows time. Meanwhile I also got a used Breitling of the same kind (didn't really want it, my brother in law is a collector, no chance though...), unfortunately not an automatic either, those are the real timeless classics (but not too precise). Those two watches are meant to stay with me!

As for the Haiku (this is about lights, isn't it?), I chose the Bead Blasted. Perhaps not *** timeless as the polished one, but nicer to me. As an EDC, the normal version should serve better, it'll get scratches, but it won't get ugly. I also tend to like the normal wear-scratches on my watches, bracelets, wedding ring and lights, as long as they are made of solid metal. As you say, it adds, they will really become yours. The BB will not age that well I guess...

I was astonished how bright it is, compared to others in the same class, its beam is perfect. I'm not sensible to PWM, tried to see teh flickering, nope. The 3 levels are well separated, the low is low enough, the medium is good for nearly everything and the high is... bright! :cool:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My New Haiku**UPDATED**

A couple of CPFers asked for a photo of the watch with the light - of course I had to 'ham it up' a bit. Darn crystal was more scratched up than I realized - the camera is ruthless! So a 'bump post' to notify that OP is updated with the photos, as requested. Amazing how similar the Haiku and that stainless Rolex are...be a heck of a gift set!

edc3

Enlightened
Re: McGizmo Haiko 'Essay'

Great post. I wanted a Haiku before and want one even more now. Maybe my New Year's resolution will be to skip a few of the lower priced lights and save up for a Haiku.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: McGizmo Haiko 'Essay'

run4jc,
I am glad you like the light and plan to use it!

I think I can relate to your situation. I bought a Rolex about 20 years before you got yours and paid about 10% of what you paid for yours. It was still a significant investment and as a starting freshman in high school who just spent all of my summer wage earnings on a watch, my friends thought I was a bit goofy. My parents held me accountable to knowing and watching the time and I had already destroyed some other watches by swimming and surfing with them on. It sucked having a watch I depended on die on me and then I would walk around with this silly tan line on my wrist until I could get a replacement. The Rolex would and did serve me well; for about 15 years or so, never leaving my wrist. I should qualify that it was a Rolex dive watch but with the less expensive Tudor movement. When it died (my fault for not having the gaskets serviced) I went cheap digital as I had no funds at the time. Later on, I was visiting in Japan and came across a titanium Seiko dive watch (about the time you got your Rolex) and it has been Ti watches for me since then. The Luminox Titanium has served me well but being now on a second one, I can't claim it has withstood the ravages of time as well as that old Rolex did. Actually none of the watches I have had since have come close to that simple, self-winding Rolex. They do a better job of telling time and I can be more accurate in identifying how late I am. :eek: If I could have that old Tudor self-winding movement in a Ti Rolex Submariner case I'd be willing to pay a premium for it! It would be a bonus if it didn't have a calendar since I need glasses to read it and without it, I could go months without messing with the stem. (I sure like the H3 vials in the Luminox though...)