7 LED Mag AA Conversion

hunter306

Newly Enlightened
I think this might be my first post as I've been lurking around for a while now without an account.
---

After seeing some of the cool modifications that you guys are doing, I figured I'd tackle an easy one to start out.

Started with my Mag AA Incandescent body (old one from years ago) and built up an adapter to run the body with 7x 5mm LED's.

This was the result:
Final pic is the Mag (ON LEFT) compared to my old Dorcy MetalGear Lux1 (RIGHT) Light. Definitely less local spill from the modded mag -- due mostly I think to the lack of reflector.

mag5mmconv001.jpg

mag5mmconv002.jpg

mag5mmvsdorcylux1.jpg

hunter306

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gunner,

That would explain the 20 degree spec on these LED's. I'm not familiar with all of the numbers on the data sheets yet!

I'm fairly pleased with the result considering the ease of the mod. Biggest trouble I have is the low voltage. The LED's can handle 3.4v-3.9v, but the best I can feed them is 3v with my alkalines.

Any battery options that might fit in this unmodified body? Something in the lithium category (1 cell) would probably fit the bill just about perfect. Rechargeable would be most desirable.

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome: Good job.
You will have to resize your pics to a max of 800 X 800 pixels.
Norm

Last edited:

hunter306

Newly Enlightened
Is that direct drive or is there a driver board in there somewhere?

It's being driven directly from the batteries, since this was an old incandescent mag to begin with. With the limited space and retaining the 'twist' switch, it'd be pretty tight to integrate a driver.

I expect if I attached the driver circuit to the bottom of the LED Board that I made, it might *just* fit... But that's a job that's likely beyond my uninitiated skills.
:welcome: Good job.
You will have to resize your pics to a max of 800 X 800 pixels.
Norm

Norm, Sorry about that -- I never remember what the 'acceptable picture size is. I'll modify them as soon as I get an opportunity. :eek:

14500 li-ion (3.7 - 4.2V) + spacer. Nice mod! :thumbsup:

14500 li-ion was what I found as I started researching other battery options yesterday. Any highly recommended cells? I think that running on 3.7-4v would make this quite a nice light for around the house duty. Right now, it's definitely less bright than my 40lumen Dorcy. With the proper batteries, I think it'd be feasible to get much closer to that spec.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW and lighthound.com are my favourite suppliers. :)
Stay away from unprotected li-ion's. :whistle:

Last edited:

hunter306

Newly Enlightened
I've got some AW's on the way from 4sevens. I think that that will dramatically improve this light.

I may go back and revise my design a bit. This was my first shot at getting 7 LED's to fit in the mag head.

Does any one know how to remove the 'switch' (that black pressure activated plastic piece) from a AA Mag?

I'm assuming it must be simply pressed in, but I haven't had any luck trying to remove it to investigate how it works.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just pry the small black plastic piece off the top of the thing straight up. The piece has a pair of legs that are pressure fit into a pair of holes in a larger piece inside the light. After removing the top part the lower part just falls out the bottom. Watch out for the negative contact as there really isn't anything holding it in place and it could come out of the lower piece. If it does it just goes back into the appropriate hole but it is easy to lose because it is so small.

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
When using the single LiIon 14450 I like to limit the current and drop the voltage the LEDs would see. By adding a resistor as a replacement for the second battery. The rectangular ceramic type resistors work excellent for this and are high wattage. I took a spent piece of .223 cartridge brass (ammunition for rifle) cut it off and soldered it to one of the resistor leads. The other end I soldered on a little nipple then wrapped in electrical tape, overall length is the same as a AA. Be creative here.