Ultimate reflector and flashlight question

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Here's a thought experiment a la Einstein I read in a Spider Robinson story. (Tried to find the exact quote but I can't find it again. I THINK it was in a Callahan's Bar story. Anyone with a better memory please chime in.) In outer space there is a perfect sphere. There is an astronaut floating in the center and there is absolute darkness inside the sphere. The inner surface is a perfect reflector. The astronaut turns on a flashlight....what does he see?:popcorn:

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Ever see funhouse mirrors that distort the reflection because of curvature? How about infinite images of yourself from two mirrors across from each other? Now imagine a perfect reflective inner sphere. To be honest I myself imagined an Escher type 360 degree sttrrrreeccched image of the astronaut himself. (Or the spacesuit as the case may be.) Probably to throw people off Spider Robinson through the story's character suggested the back of his head, the bottom of his soles, behind himself, type of images.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he was at the focus he would see whatever lied along the reflector's axis reflected on the reflector's surface. Consider the reverse, where a light source at the focus projects light along the reflector's axis. He would see himself if he was at the center of a spherical reflector.

Latest posts