aurora mc-e from dx disapointing

marksteven

Newly Enlightened
:mecry:got my new light from dx today ,was really excited ,got a couple of small r2s which amaze me , my new light is the silver one sku17257 , anyway tried it & its rubbish, it cant be working ,even on high u can look at the emitter . ive cleaned it but still no joy ,can any 1 help . im new to this so no big words please cheers mark:mecry:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:mecry:got my new light from dx today ,was really excited ,got a couple of small r2s which amaze me , my new light is the silver one sku17257 , anyway tried it & its rubbish, it cant be working ,even on high u can look at the emitter . ive cleaned it but still no joy ,can any 1 help . im new to this so no big words please cheers mark:mecry:

-Is your 18650 cell fully charged? It should be around 4.2V fresh off the charger.
-Do not use 2xRCR123 with that light, you will overdrive the LED.
-With a 4.2V charged 18650, remove the tailcap switch. Take a paperclip and touch the end of the cell to the metal end of the body tube. Does it light up bright or dim?

Lets start with that and post back your results.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, that could be it, when i tried 2xRCR123s in one of my lights, it was very dim and flickered a lot, but using a 18650 it worked perfectly.

marksteven

Newly Enlightened
the paper clip test - the light is no brighter , i know you shouldnt but you can look at the emitter & see the 4 sqares lit , it should burn a hole thru my head :mecry:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Price MC-E, roughly 20,--,
price good driver, roughly 20,--
price hunk of alum that size, roughly 5-15,--
price good machining and finish, roughly 20,--
price additional materials, roughly 5-10,--
price of that light: 45,--
get the picture ;)

these offers are extremely cheap and the only way to come to them, is to reduce anything that makes a product good or reliable.
If one ordered just one of their lights and gets a good working one, should consider himself very lucky!
I count in 1/3 value: order three and thus receive ONE that runs good on the long therm
(and I have ordered many lights form DX, as I started with using them as hosts for modding projects)

get 2 additional ones and have all of them run though 10 sets of batteries and keep the one that survives,
or spent the same amount (as for three) and get a light from a respected maker, that
a) works no matter what,
b) is machined and built in another world of production
c) is noticeably better in everythig a light can be measured in

--> for this kind of light: get a Jetbeam M1X

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
Price MC-E, roughly 20,--,
price good driver, roughly 20,--
price hunk of alum that size, roughly 5-15,--
price good machining and finish, roughly 20,--
price additional materials, roughly 5-10,--
price of that light: 45,--
get the picture ;)

these offers are extremely cheap and the only way to come to them, is to reduce anything that makes a product good or reliable.
If one ordered just one of their lights and gets a good working one, should consider himself very lucky!
I count in 1/3 value: order three and thus receive ONE that runs good on the long therm
(and I have ordered many lights form DX, as I started with using them as hosts for modding projects)

get 2 additional ones and have all of them run though 10 sets of batteries and keep the one that survives,
or spent the same amount (as for three) and get a light from a respected maker, that
a) works no matter what,
b) is machined and built in another world of production
c) is noticeably better in everythig a light can be measured in

--> for this kind of light: get a Jetbeam M1X

Mostly agree, but when manufacturer buy parts and materials in large quantities, prices are much lower. And when you machine ten of thousands identical parts on modern CNC machines, unit price is pretty small.

Hrvoje