LED Lenser M1 - Good light?

buth

Newly Enlightened
Who has any information about the LED Lenser M1 ? Is ist a good light?

Conan

Newly Enlightened
LED Lenser's have good optics but they're not very popular here due to the lack of regulated output.

buth

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Perhaps you're right. But otherwise the 8 hours could be reached in low mode (approx. 20 lumens). I've seen the M1 in a local store.

Alternative: iTP c9 or C10. Look at my other thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/249126

Now I got to go to bed (it is 5 am here).

Would be nice if I find your reply when I'm online again. Tomorrow or next days.

Good night.

buth

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Perhaps you're right. But otherwise the 8 hours could be reached in low mode (approx. 20 lumens). I've seen the M1 in a local store.

Alternative: iTP c9 or C10. Look at my other thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/249126

Now I got to go to bed (it is 5 am here).

Would be nice if I find your reply when I'm online again. Tomorrow or next days.

Good night.

buth

I'm just a budding flashoholic so my opinions may not count much. :) But I like the looks of the C9.

buth

Newly Enlightened
It's just the ohter way round. Your opinion is important for me. But I still can't dicide, what light I will buy.

Because I need more answers to all my questions (see my first post in this thread).

Help. Help. Help. :confused::confused::confused:

buth

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price range are you looking at and what kind of light are you looking for?

There could be another light that matches your needs.

buth

Newly Enlightened
Hello Gunner12.

My price range is 30 - 60 Euro (50 - 100 USD).

I' looking for an EDC with good performance (brightness AND runtime). Brightness is more important. I could carry another rechargeable or primary with me.

The light should not reduce brightness after some minutes because of getting too hot.

I've swithed to iTP C9 or C10 to be my favourite, because I've heard about LED lenser M1 to do exactly that (reducing brightness after some minutes because of getting too hot).

I think there is no other light with such a very straight-forward continuously-variable UI (ramping the brightness).

That's why the iTP C9 and C10 are my favourite.

Thanks in advance.

buth

Last edited:

buth

Newly Enlightened
Yes. The Nitecore EX10 might be interesting. But the iTP C9 / C10 appears to be more intuitive in handling.

But I don't know what rechargeables are the best. Li-Ion or Li-Polimer or LiFePO4 ? And what brand ?

Perhaps these?

>>> http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=125353 <<<

These LiFePO4 rechargeables are said to be very save and to have less problems with high ampere output. And they can be recharged very quickly.

>>> http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=203788 <<< (only the first text of LuxLuthor)

Or better Li-Ion or Li-Polimer rechargeables? If they are better: I would only choose protected ones.

buth

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't remember any li-po batteries in 16340 size.

Go for the AW RCR123s. Most people recommend his batteries for their good quality. Don't worry about high discharge, the light shouldn't draw enough current for that to affect the output (unless it's a really crappy battery).

BigTennisBall

Newly Enlightened
M1 is tops ... i love it.. i use it now as my EDC

3 modes and very very bright i get about 200m distance out of it

buth

Newly Enlightened
@ Gunner12:

Thanks for your information on the AW RCR123s. I think I'm gonna take these.

@ BigTennisBall:

LED Lenser M1 is nice. Especially their "Advanced Focus System".

But some people say that it reduces output after some minutes because of getting too hot.
And some people say that its digital [FONT=Verdana, Arial Black][FONT=Verdana, Arial]regulation circuitry[/FONT][/FONT] doesn't keep the light output really constant !?!

What is your opinion?

buth

Last edited:

buth

Newly Enlightened
Another alternative to the iTP C9: iTP SC1 !

Does anybody know if the iTP SC1 has a digitally regulated output?

And one more question: The SC1 has a smooth reflector, but the C9 has a half smooth and half orange peel reflector. What is the result? What reflector is better for this LED?

Thanks in advance.

buth

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You mean does it have regulation? Some lights touted to have "digitally regulated output" have nothing more then a resistor.

The iTP lights do have regulation.

A half smooth and half op reflector give your a pretty smooth beam without taking out as much throw as an OP reflector does.

buth

Newly Enlightened
You mean does it have regulation? Some lights touted to have "digitally regulated output" have nothing more then a resistor.

The iTP lights do have regulation.

A half smooth and half op reflector give your a pretty smooth beam without taking out as much throw as an OP reflector does.

Have mercy with me. My english is not very good. :mecry:

Thanks for the information on regulation.

Last question for today: The SC1 doesn't have a half/half or OP reflector, but a smooth one. What are the pros and cons of the smooth one? More throw on the one hand, but more rings arround the spot and artifacts on the other hand? Or is there no "ring/artifact problem" with the R2 LED (in comparison to the Q5 LED)? :thinking:

Thanks again in advance.

buth

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh.

Q5 and R2 are flux bins of the white LEDs of the Xlamp series by Cree. There are a few models that could use the Q5, R2, P4 etc. flux bin, so without knowing which model is used, it is impossible to give an exact answer of your question. If it's the same model of LED, but different bin, then a smooth reflector will give a bit more artifacts then an OP or half OP one. In real use, it probably won't be that visible though.

With the Cree XR-E, there will usually be on pronounced ring around the hotspot with a smooth reflector, sometimes the ring is there even with the OP reflector.

buth

Newly Enlightened
It didn't sound harsh. Absolutely no problem. I've read your signature and I believe that you apply what you write there.

At least I hope my english is not too bad so that everybody can understand what I want to ask.

Thanks again for your detailed answer.

I think if the ring is not too dark, I will take the SC1, because I like the UI a little better. It doesn't have "only" digital infinite beam adjustment (C9), but ALSO low + mid + high pre settings. And it's not only water resistant (C9) but waterproof (IP68 (approx. 10 feet)).

buth

Last edited: