Proton Pro or Connexion X2?

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm currently looking for single AA that hv the following and hv done some homework but need recommendation/advice:
- deep pocket carry clip (Proton Pro & Lumapower ConneXion X2, any other light?)
- foward/tactical clicky (Lumapower X2)
- strobe(slow and fast) (Proton Pro).

I hv the Nitecore D10 now and love it. Would like to hv more lights like the D10. Btw, do they hv the D10 in silver? I can't afford the Titanium D10.

The ConneXion X2 (imo)
Pros
- forward/tactical clicky(can I just momentarily turn on the light at High or it will switch to other mode?)
- bling bling silver(no need to worry about scratches)
- nice diamond knurling (same as Jetbeam Pro series?)
- candlemode?

Cons
- no strobe
- switch a bit hard to press?
- not as bright as other AA's? same brightness as Jetbeam CLE V2?

Proton Pro (imo)
Pros
- unique side switch
- red led(don't know if I would be using it)
- fast and slow strobe

Cons
- not as bright as other AA's.
- side switch reliability? will the rubber switch able to last? intend to clip the light on my jeans pocket. if it is worn out, am I able to get replacement and install it myself?
- accidental turn on the light while in pocket. (is it easy to turn on the light while in pocket?)

Appreciate some comments from the nice ppl who owns the X2 or the Proton Pro. Guess I could only afford either 1 of the lights. There is not much discussion on both light recently. Is there any other lights that I might hv missed out that hv deep pocket carry clip, forward clicky and hopefully strobe? Thanks.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Proton but I do have a Lumapower Connexion and a Connexion X2. :)

Actually there was a poll early this week on our Italian flashlight forum CPFItalia on 'the most used lights in 2009' and it came out that among my 80 plus flashlights the Connexion was the second most used by me this year. The reason is that thanks to its excellent tint I use it daily to read in bed. :cool:

So, pros and cons IMHO. As I said the 'sun white' tint is possibly the best feature of this light. I am sorry to say that for me the absence of a strobe is another good point. The three levels are nicely spaced and the Connexion is a KISS flashlight with no frills and no complications.
On the other hand the switch is very recessed (good for candle mode) and a bit awkward to press, you need to do it with a forefinger. Also Connexion is not meant to be a pocket rocket and surely your friends will not be stunned by its output.

That's it, if you need more info please feel free to ask.

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Kilovolt, can I use the X2 like my Nitecore D10? Meaning, can I half click at full brightness/high a few times, say to attract someone attention without it changing it to another mode/level? Is it correct to say the X2 produces about 90l using NiMh batt?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilovolt, can I use the X2 like my Nitecore D10? Meaning, can I half click at full brightness/high a few times, say to attract someone attention without it changing it to another mode/level? Is it correct to say the X2 produces about 90l using NiMh batt?

Each time you half click you change the level, the switch is not really a 'tactical' one. However if you want to attract somebody's attention the fact that each flash is at a different level should be no problem at all.

As to the output I think your assumption is fairly realistic. Remember, Connexion is not a thrower but just a simple light very good for walking about in the darkness.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes when you buy a light you don't know how much you will use it or like it.
My Connexion (an older black version, running on a 14500) is my main GO TO light at my desk. it's always right next to my keyboard. Sure other AA lights like Wolf Eyes Angel A are brighter, as is my Quark AA yet there's someting about the look and FEEL of the Connexion. IMHO the switch is VERY EASY to operate. the GITD tailcap colour is nice.
Of course the newer versions are appealing to me, but I can't buy them all. My Lumapower Connexion one of my favorite lights when I am at home. As much as I like it I don't carry it when I leave the house. I have my Nitecore EZ AA neutral on keys and or Nitecore D20 on belt in Fenix holster for EDC applications.

007Runner

Banned
I have the Proton Pro. Let me say that the switch is very poor quality. I have sent it back two times because the cheap rubber switch is fragile. In very cold weather the rubber got brittle. When it breaks again, I am going to toss this light into the trash can. The beam quality is not very good, but not horrible.

I will not recommend it because of the poor design and quality of the switch.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
In defence of the Proton Pro, it is one of the few lights on which I actually use the clip - for some reason it just seems to 'work' without getting in the way. This makes it an ideal pocket carry light for a suit or something where I wouldn't want to bulk up my pockets with a larger light. Carried like that, I have never had problems with it switching on inadvertently.

The switch itself seems OK to me. I'm sorry 007 that you've had problems with yours, but mine is absolutely fine, and the overall build quality of the light is top notch.

The UI is excellent and gives you a very wide range of constantly variable output on either red or white beam - difficult to find on any other light.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
In defence of the Proton Pro, it is one of the few lights on which I actually use the clip - for some reason it just seems to 'work' without getting in the way. This makes it an ideal pocket carry light for a suit or something where I wouldn't want to bulk up my pockets with a larger light. Carried like that, I have never had problems with it switching on inadvertently.

I carry mine clipped in the rear corner of my front pants pocket, whether I'm wearing dress pants or jeans. I've never had an issue with it turning on inadvertently when carried that way, either. However, when I've worn it actually clipped to my belt (i.e. NOT using the belt pouch), I have had issues where the arm of my chair has turned on the light. (This is only one reason why I detest arms on my desk chair.)

The switch itself seems OK to me. I'm sorry 007 that you've had problems with yours, but mine is absolutely fine, and the overall build quality of the light is top notch.

+1 (And I've had several over the years, and given them as gifts-- maybe 007Runner got an odd one?)

The UI is excellent and gives you a very wide range of constantly variable output on either red or white beam - difficult to find on any other light.

The UI is the same as the Photon Freedom Fusion, and is based on the Photon Freedom UI. Since I have several of all these lights (plus a coupld of the Rex lights), it's a very familiar UI for me.

Dan FO

Enlightened

My experience has been the same as yours. I like the Proton Pro.

gunga

Flashaholic
I have all 3 lights.

The proton pro I don't use much, don't like how the white only starts on high, the pwm on low, don't like the beam quality and greenish tint. Love the clip, like the red option. That's why I keep it, for the red option. I fixed the tint with a somewhat painful mod (don't like to reflow solder) and diffusion film. ALso note, this light tends to dent batteries, so be careful or bend the rear leaf spring down a bit. The switch is kinda cool. Durability seems a bit quiestionable, but it is unique.

The Connexion is a very nice general purpose, simple light. You can't signal with it (on the same level) but it's a great all rounder light. Clip is a bit small and flmsy for my tastes, tho it has improved from version 1. It's not hard to make the boot more accessible, just move a few of the internal washers around (see my review) and you get easy access and tailstanding (when on). It's also available in blingy silver (very nice!).

I tend to EDC my D10. I like the heavy knurling and clip. When it is mounted properly, the D10 clip is nice, sturdy, and firm. The problem is the backing plate and screws are very low quality, often strip, and can be a pain to deal with. When it goes together properly, it's a nice clip. I also like the UI.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello Dreamer --

i'll just throw a couple of tidbits into this comparison . . . .

My Photon Proton Pro, carried EDC for 20 months now,
has NEVER switched itself ON accidently.
I carry it clipped inside my side pants pocket,
and never even realize it's there. Truly trouble-free !

My LumaPower ConneXion V2 is the 2xAA model.
This is "convertible", so you can use it as 1-cell, or 2-cell.
Neat feature, which works much better than i thought it would.
Not loose or "wiggly" at all -- very solid and rugged when screwed together.

I use mine as 2-cell, and it fits Very Nicely inside my other side pants pocket.
The clip is fine for its purpose. Just made of "heavy wire", that's all.
Clip isn't stainless steel, but that's no problem.

Really like the way its 3-light-levels are spaced-out. For me, it's ideal.
Roughly: 100%, 25%, 5%.

Beam quality, while not perfect, is MUCH nicer than the Photon Proton Pro.
If that sorta' thing matters to you. In real world use, both beams are fine.

The Bottom Line . . . .

If i had to choose ONE of these 2 flashlights --

i would definitely select my LumaPower ConneXion V2 2xAA.

But really, both of 'em serve a different use for me.

Hope this is helpful.
Good Luck in your quest to find the Perfect Flashlight.

:candle:

PS: please let us know which one you decide upon.
_

MvM

Newly Enlightened
I have carried TWO Pronton-Pro lights for almost a year and a half.

First, I liked the sideswitch, but it would very easily switch on automatically in my pocket.
Second, the rubber of the switch very quickly wore out.
On the first light, it became very tacky and then broke off, leaving me with a useless flashlight.
The second one, I carried for half a year but now the same problem with the switch has occured.

I have replaced the Proton-Pro with the Nitecore EX10.
The Nitecore EX10 give a much better picture and is simply but a better quality light and more powerfull and brighter also.

However, I am having some problems with the EX10 switching itself off after a few minutes on full power.
Also, I don't like the fact the the on/off switch of the EX10 is very hard to press with a TRULY MINIMUM amount of travel.

Thinking about replacing the Nitecore with the Jetbeam RRT-0.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
This came up on another thread recently. What on earth have you guys got in your pockets to switch lights on and destroy the switch ?

I'd worry about the lens - anything that can bump into the switch could also scratch and mark the lens. I don't particularly like clips or lanyards so usually carry lights in a pocket, but I don't chuck them in with keys, loose coins or other junk and strangely enough, never have a problem with them switching on or getting damaged.

At least the Proton Pro has a really good clip so it should be possible to keep it away from anything else in a pocket.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've not had switch problems with my Proton either. At least it does have that hidden shutoff feature. This one's been a favorite for a while now, but it's not perfect. The main beam is ugly on a wall and it doesn't seem as efficient as some, but it's other unique features make it still a winner.

Geoff

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Proton Pro would be a big hit if they would just allow it to start in low and make the efficiency on par with other AA lights. This light has so many thing going for it. I would buy one if they made a few improvments. I like the Rex UI and think Photon has some nice offerings.

clg0159

Enlightened
You get more options with the X2. 1 or 2Xaa format and the TF head option for more throw. The current controlled low is also really nice . No red, which is a great optioin, but I personally have no need for it in an EDC. Just my 2C.

heckboy

Enlightened
I am a Proton fan. I like the interface, the brightness, the beam size, and the size of the light. I have found that it meets my expectation for durability. I do like the deep pocket carry clip and in particular like the completely rounded tail cap - it doesn't scratch up leather seats if it's in your back pocket. I haven't used the lanyard ring much but found it completely functional on occasions when I did (using a Surefire lanyard).

I normally use Enelops in the light, however, I've used all kinds of batteries in it. The one type I haven't used is the 14500 Li-Ion and that is because the cell is just enough too long that screwing the light together is a task. The light does dent the negative end of the a battery and frankly I don't care and haven't endured and issues or failures because of it.

Below, you'll see a couple of digipix of my Proton after 20 months of EDC carry clipped to the back pocket of my jeans. In the second picture you can see that the center of the button has finally fallen off. I plan to send the light back to LRI for repair. It is worth noting that the light is disabled with the rubber button cover missing. The cover has a dimple inside it that touches the switch inside the light. Once the switch cover is gone there is nothing to actuate the switch. You could poke something in there to actuate the switch if you have to work the light so it's not completely bricked.

I got 20 months of hard use on the light and I assume the LRI will repair it and return it to me like they did when I boogered the clip. I've also ordered another one since Batteryjunction has a sale on the new version right now.

I plan to pickup a Connexion because the versatility does appeal to me. The real test will be if it actually makes it to EDC for me.

Later,
HB

proton%20DSC08962.jpg

proton%20DSC08959.jpg