Does Surefire L4 have consistent color temp?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enough of you guys have got them now to get a feeling on whether we're going to get consistant whiter beam color temps rather then the widely different shades of violet that we got with the KL1 release. Anybody got a green or a violet L4 or some other color temp other then white?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
The L4's are as much as a crap-shoot as the KL1's are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only judge by my experience with two of them. Based on that I'd have to pretty much agree with Nascar, though perhaps the variation isn't quite as wide.

Whoever coined the term "Luxeon Lottery" should be given credit for creating a depressingly accurate description.

Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very scary considering the price of the lights. Although I use my purple KL1, I won't buy another one unless I'm guaranteed of getting a closer to white color temperature.

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few LED lights, my L4 is the MOST GREEN LED I have ever seen. Dan at Tatical Wharehouse took great care of me, and sold me another at a very fair price rather than go through all the return/shipping hassle. I am hoping it will keep me on the upgrade path from incan to LED. Not sure what I will do with the "green bomb" but what a bit of none Irish Luck!

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Has not arrived yet,due on Thur. I will report the results then. I thought you were off on a camping trip. Seem to recall some questions about a lantern relating to gas, prefer no gas etc, blah, blah, blah. BTW I can give you a tip on this.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's a tad on the green tint (maybe a 2 tint), although it's definately not green against, say an underdriven LS that really is green... They're just as variable as ever...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's white and that makes me happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really a nice flood type beam. It throws farther then you would think, considering how wide the beam is.

I hope SureFire offers these as the KL4 head only soon.

dirobesh

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Whoever coined the term "Luxeon Lottery" should be given credit for creating a depressingly accurate description.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was myself when commenting on the trilight I'd just purchased - sorry if it's put anyone on prozac. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
wolfen: tactical warehouse already offers the KL4 along with the Z57 for sale on its own if i'm not wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...I believe someone had reported from the Shot Show back in February that Lumileds said they would have the color issue QC under control within 90 days. Obviously not then. I'm kind of surprised Surefire would release the lights with that much beam variance. I assume they must have gotten some negative feedback on the KL1 beam color issue.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Interestingly enough, in real world usage, you really dont' see much of a difference between the green-tint and the white tint. Where it's really apparrent is when shining both on a white wall, side by side.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to actually squint your eyes a few times to really distinguish between it being green, and it just being somewhat "milky"... As there are a few lights I have that are pure white with almost no gradient whatsoever, it becomes glaringly apparent only when they're both side by side on a white wall or paper...

Reference is half the trick to your eyes...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
wolfen: tactical warehouse already offers the KL4 along with the Z57 for sale on its own if i'm not wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and the switch and the head together will cost you as much as the whole L4 light. $95.00 for the head and $35.00 for the switch. Might as well buy the L4 light from Bulldog at the same price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Falcon, I know what you are talking about when you say milky. Mine is about as perfect as I think one can get... You know how skim milk is like 98% white with about 2% blue? That is the way my KL4 is!

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Aluminum Junkie said:
Has not arrived yet,due on Thur. I will report the results then. I thought you were off on a camping trip. Seem to recall some questions about a lantern relating to gas, prefer no gas etc, blah, blah, blah. BTW I can give you a tip on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Jeez... how long do you want me to camp? I was gone for a full week, and that was well over a week ago now... I'm back, you're stuck with me.