• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Downboy 917 Aleph light engine

fyrstormer

Banned
Up for sale today is an Aleph light engine with a Downboy driver and a TYOJ Luxeon 3 emitter. This one has an extra ground wire on the driver board, which I believe was a design modification to eliminate the "Downboy stability problem" that earlier versions sometimes had.

The ground terminal has "6-12V" and "917" etched on it, which I believe mean it is capable of driving the emitter at 917mA when given the specified input voltage. This LE will work in single-cell Aleph lights, but the voltage spec makes it pretty clear it wants 2 or 3 cells to run at its best.

This is a single-speed LE, but it's designed to be used with two-speed Aleph tail switches; in fact, I think you have to use an LE like this if you have a two-speed switch; newer drivers won't play nice with the low-mode resistor inside two-speed switches.

CIMG3608.jpg

CIMG3607.jpg

$50 including shipping. Check/MO accepted, Paypal preferred. First "I'll take it" gets it.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: FS: Downboy 917 Aleph light engine

I'm not sure. It looks like the emitter sits in a hole in the circuit board, and the emitter and the board are both heatsink-epoxied into place on the backing plate. I did an emitter swap on a newer Aleph LE, but that was easier because it was soldered into place so I could loosen it by applying heat. My guess is careful application of torque with a good pair of needlenose pliers would break the board free, but I don't feel up to trying it myself.

I will say, however, that I was contemplating continuing to use this in the single-cell Aleph light I built, even though the voltage was too low, because it is definitely not dim; a newer emitter would be brighter, but my guess is it wouldn't be substantially brighter.