New Luxeon MD Emitter

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I inadvertently created a new emitter configuration that's between and LD and HD. I call it the MD
MashDome.jpg

for Mashed Dome. I dropped it, and it landed right on the noggin.

I thought it would be a great opportunity to check out something closer to a true point source, but one of the tiny wires broke.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ahhhhh........... another dead soldier. A moment of silence please....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Otokoyama,

That really sucks! Sympathies! I guess spending half my time crawling around on the floor with a flashlight, looking for dropped flashlight parts isn't so bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's not all that's broken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i did the same thing to my first brinkmann 3aa mod. i was using an acryllic ball, and it fell right on it's poor little noggin when i tried to get out of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
was that a high dome before? I've found that the low dome is pretty darn tough. SE's on the other hand, the little cone breaks when you look at it wrong, and gets smashed into the dome if you sneeze.

I vote SEs as the worst representative for LED robustness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I'm foolishly trying to reattach the lead that broke using conductive epoxy. I may be able to bring this back to life. If that fails, I can always bore out the old emitter and install a new one over the BB400/heatsink.

Shark

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifOUCH frackel and crackel who let the smoke out?
You have my sympathy. Kinda hurts to look at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that hurts to just even look at...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a heck of a nice macro shot of the destruction.

I have never really understood why some people feel the need to look at traffic accidents and yet I find myself gawking at this tragedy.

A moment of silence please,
Pat

Wylie

Enlightened
I really do hate it when that happens!
When I first seen this post I was trying to conceive of how a Mid-dome emitter might mix things up.
The picture kind of reminds me of my first L/S mod. I had some pretty cool focusing optics going on my first and then I tightened the head a little too much and I too had a MDLS.
After that I mickied the adjustment for the focusing and put the 1 inch acrylic sphere right over the phosphorus and glued her down. That worked well until I stacked a bunch of batteries and made the connection with a piece of wire goofing around. Flash Pow Lots Of Purpleish light and then nothing. :sad: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Before that point I had realized the right tools and a lot more pocket change were needed if I were to take the modding into serious fashion.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
This one's a goner. I got a brief, encouraging flicker of light while trying to reattach the lead, but it was apparently just a last gasp. I learned alot from this one, and I'm sad to see it go.

R.I.P.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Before you totally destroy that poor Luxeon, how about sending it over to me and we'll try and get it running again? Where are you located?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks 1W to me. The die was too small to be a 5W, unless he remove some, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
Ahh man that sucks. I am very sorry to hear about that. Well hey, if it was a 1w then it's much easiser on the wallet to replace than a 5w.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone can bring the muffled LS from the land of Dead Lux, it's ITD...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
InTheDark: Thanks, but the honored mortal remains have already been chucked in the trash. I'll cut out the old emitter base tomorrow, and should have a new one in shortly. It was a 1W, not worthy of extensive resuscitation efforts.