Has anybody used the blue light to spot fluids?

curtispdx

Enlightened
I just got an Inova Inforce Color and was wondering how well the blue works to spot fluids. Anybody tried it?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its supposed to help with tracking blood when deer hunting. FWIW 'crime fluids' are discovered after being coated with a special spray then illuminated. OTOH a UV light can really show you more than you want to see!

curtispdx

Enlightened
Its supposed to help with tracking blood when deer hunting. FWIW 'crime fluids' are discovered after being coated with a special spray then illuminated. OTOH a UV light can really show you more than you want to see!

So is the blue light supposed to reflect red (blood) well? I guess that I want to know what I'm supposed to be looking for. :thinking:

ducat

Newly Enlightened
I think the idea is that blood will be jet black under blue light, whereas everything else just looks blue!

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I think the idea is that blood will be jet black under blue light, whereas everything else just looks blue!

Also, you can use yellow-orange goggles with the blue led's to view some limited fluorescence. Blue doesn't fluoresce as many substances as UV, but what it does fluoresce can be made more visible to your eyes with the orange goggles filtering out most of the reflected blue light.

However, this only works well with single-wavelength blue (like from a blue LED). Or at least a light source that doesn't contain any longer wavelengths (no green, yellow, red, etc.)

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened

Interesting. Thanks! :) It's only a matter of time when I'll get to try it out for real but I wanted to get an idea of what I should be looking for.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Also, you can use yellow-orange goggles with the blue led's to view some limited fluorescence. Blue doesn't fluoresce as many substances as UV, but what it does fluoresce can be made more visible to your eyes with the orange goggles filtering out most of the reflected blue light.

However, this only works well with single-wavelength blue (like from a blue LED). Or at least a light source that doesn't contain any longer wavelengths (no green, yellow, red, etc.)

I'd like to try that someday but I've already got a geek reputation with my peers; if I actually used the orange goggles I'd be hearing about it at my retirement ceremony...

Latest posts