where to find xre on 10mm or 12mm board?

netprince

Enlightened
I just received my sr3, and the tint is too blue for my taste. Looks like I need an xre mounted on a 10mm or 12mm board. I prefer R2-WH and Q4-5C, does anyone have any suggestions where I might find these?

Thanks!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you will ever find an XR-E on a 10mm MCPCB. The XR-E ceramic substrate is 9mm x 7mm, giving a diagonal of 11.4mm.

The smallest I've seen is a 14mm round board from DX. You might be able to file it down to 13mm before hitting the LED+ and LED- solder pads.

If you really need 10mm or 12mm and your application will work with a bare emitter (no MCPCB), then Kaidomain sells a bare Cree XR-E Q5 (ProductId=1743). Or if your application will work with the new Cree XP-G, CPFer nailbender sells XP-G R4s on 10mm MCPCBs (see the B/S/T forum).

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a XPG focus correctly with your SR3 ?

I suppose as a last resort you could remove the emitter
from the board with the hotplate method and use the
same method to attach a warmer emitter to the board

Just my 2 cents :D

lightforce2

Enlightened
I suppose as a last resort you could remove the emitter
from the board with the hotplate method and use the
same method to attach a warmer emitter to the board

I did the hotplate swap thing once, I needed a red emitter on a 13mm base & the smallest available was a 17mm base

It was a last resort for me, but it worked:)

Mike cz

Newly Enlightened
XR-E Q4 on a 11,5mm board are in Romisen RC-T6. I have 6 x XR-E Q4 from Romisen RC-T6 at home.
index.php

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike cz, that's really nice. If the 14mm MCPCB looks like it does in your photo, then you can trim it down to 11.5mm as you've shown. The problem I've seen with the DX11023 XR-E Q5 on a 14mm board is that the oval-shaped LED+ and LED- solder pads are placed at an angle on the board. With the solder pads angled, they stick out farther than they need to. I think you would be hard-pressed to trim that version down below 13mm. Even if the DX11023 had the solder pads aligned north-south as shown on the DX web page and in Mike cz's photo, the DX11023's solder pads themselves look to be too large. The version that I bought that had the angled solder pads has skinnier, more oval pads.

So the trick seems to be to find a 14mm board that has skinny solder pads that are properly aligned. You need both to be able to trim the board down to 11.5mm.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Turns out it was easier than I expected. I had (what I think was) an r2 wh on a 15mm board from an older project. I didn't have to file it much before it fit. So probably 14mm is the largest that would fit.

Unfortunately, the color on this LED isn't much better, so I'm still keeping my eye out for another wh on a 14mm or 15mm...

Thanks everyone!