Need charger/ rechargeable cell recommendations

lwt210

Newly Enlightened
I have tried the search function on several occasions and am kind of lost with all the results. Here is my situation.....

I need a charger that works with AA, AAA, and 123 cells. I plan on getting a charger (if one exists) that can "charge" off of either USB, cigarette lighter, or 110 via an inverter. I have all three in my patrol car.

The various lights I am powering are:

Nitecore D10
Nitecore EX10
Fenix PD20
Fenix LD10
Fenix LD01
Maratac AAA

I have a Quark Mini 123 on pre-order and plan on buying a Fenix PD30+ .

I am currently running all on lithium primaries. Surefire cells for the 123s and Energizer Ultimate lithiums for the AA and AAAs.

I am looking at the Eneloops but have learned that the chargers that come in the Eneloop power packs are less than desired due to the fact that they don't independently charge. Independent charging seems to be the way to go.

I am burning through some batts now so any and all advice is greatly appreciated....especially if it is in layman's terms.

Price range is up to 100.00 for batts and charger. I am open to suggestions if it runs more...so long as we are talking "buy it one time and cry once" because I hate buying cheap stuff and it not lasting. I need reliable and durable and never mind paying for quality.

Again, I hope this hasn't been asked before cause I sure as heck can't find it. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding a single charger for AA, AAA, and RCR123A is going to be tough. The reason is that the first two are NiMH, while the last is Li-ion. Also, the RCR123A runs at 3.7-4.2 V and therefore isn't a drop-in replacement for the lithium primary 123A in many flashlights.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say to focus on the AA/AAA cells first. The 123 cells don't really make for a good rechargeable system and that leads to a more complicated discussion.

For the AA/AAA cells the easy answer is Eneloops as you have discovered. For a charger you might consider one of the Maha models like the C800S. My suggestion would be to keep this charger back at home and carry a supply of pre-charged cells with you just the same as you would carry a supply of disposable cells.

lwt210

Newly Enlightened
I'd say to focus on the AA/AAA cells first. The 123 cells don't really make for a good rechargeable system and that leads to a more complicated discussion.

For the AA/AAA cells the easy answer is Eneloops as you have discovered. For a charger you might consider one of the Maha models like the C800S. My suggestion would be to keep this charger back at home and carry a supply of pre-charged cells with you just the same as you would carry a supply of disposable cells.

Okay, these 2 responses have been helpful. I think that I will focus on the AA/AAA issue and just stick with primaries for the 123s.

Thanks a lot. Now off to the internet to get a price on that model.

Any chance that 4sevens stocks this charger? I am pretty pleased with their service to date.

brted

Enlightened

That's an interesting reply. I thought the standard answer was always the Maha MH-C9000? The C800S has 8 slots instead of 4, is that why you're recommending it? Otherwise they are about the same price and the C800S is probably easier to use. The C9000 lets you test the capacity of a battery though.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting reply. I thought the standard answer was always the Maha MH-C9000? The C800S has 8 slots instead of 4, is that why you're recommending it? Otherwise they are about the same price and the C800S is probably easier to use. The C9000 lets you test the capacity of a battery though.
Well, there are many choices out there for chargers. You can't always pick out one single charger that is the best for every purpose.

I'm seeing someone with a whole bunch of lights who seems to be a heavy user, so I thought an eight bay charger might be more useful.

But by all means, keep getting suggestions and don't necessarily take the first recommendation offered.

lwt210

Newly Enlightened
Well, there are many choices out there for chargers. You can't always pick out one single charger that is the best for every purpose.

I'm seeing someone with a whole bunch of lights who seems to be a heavy user, so I thought an eight bay charger might be more useful.

But by all means, keep getting suggestions and don't necessarily take the first recommendation offered.

Well, my 10 year old son also has his own lights and also wants to run his Wii remotes off of Eneloops so eight bays might be more apt to satisfy our needs.

But I won't be buying until next month (around my birthday with b-day cash) so keep the suggestions coming.