Recommendations on CHEAP AA based LED lights for storing in the cars?

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
I have some nice flashlights (thanks to the guys on here for some suggestions)...

But, I want to throw a single or double AA based flashlight in each of the car's glove boxes (3 total)...preferably LED based, and I'll probably put lithium AA batteries in the light and glove box for their long term storage capabilities.

These lights will be more for emergency/quick use (gee, where did that dollar bill fall under the seat...can't see it in the dark and I need it to pay the toll), so rarely turned on, and generally not for too long. So, long life isn't a major issue.

Being somewhat reliable is...basically, I want to push the button or turn the head and have it come on. I have an AA Maglight that currently has that duty...but when I went to use it tonight, the batteries were dead. Don't need a huge amount of light...enough to check the belt on a car, the tires, make sure the body doesn't show in the trunk...you know, the usual....

I also don't want it to cost very much...I anticipate the kids using it occasionally, and as they will often do...put it somewhere and forget about it.

So, any thoughts on a cheap AA based flashlight (best deals? or sources?).

Thanks!

AFARR

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the newest version (4th generation) Inova X1. It uses one AA battery and should give 3 or more hours continuous use when powered by an Energizer E2 lithium battery.

It is rugged and made in USA. I bought mine at Target for about $20 and it has been my shirt pocket EDC ever since.

Too, an inexpensive ($1 - $3) coin cell flashlight hanging from the turn signal stalk comes in handy for low light viewing (e.g., map reading) inside the car at night. I can access it more quickly than a light in the glove box.

inova-x1-v4.jpg

ypsifly

Enlightened
Gerber Infinity Ultra. Looong run time, durable, and under $20 at REI. Cool tint but great for up close work. Put a lithium in it and it will always be there.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, a headlamp is the best thing to keep in a glovebox.....

In addition to a headlamp, I also keep a Jetbeam C-LE v1.2 in my gloveboxes. It's a great 1xAA twisty flashlight that you can buy used in the marketplace on the cheap. It's no longer in production.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the romisen rc-g2 might be a good choice, it is tough and cheap but maybe too bright for this purpose.

If you want a pretty decent real cheapo I am fond of these, I've bought four of them:

http://www.goldengadgets.com/led-li...shlights/cj-1-watt-pocket-led-flashlight.html

The tint is a bit of a crap shoot but its got decent output, realistically like 35 lumens, and its got a solid build for 4 bucks. Reliability I dont know, but mine have never broken.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Akoray K-106.

Or if you can fork out a bit more, 4Sevens is having a great deal for Nitecore lights. 40% off Nitecore Defender Infinity (Coupon code: Nitecore40).

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber Infinity Ultra or one of the new 2AA Rebel Minimags.

I normally hate strobe and SOS, but the new Rebel Minimags have them and I feel those are good things to have in a car light.

shark_za

Enlightened
I have this exact same requirement met with single mode Romisen RC-N3's.
Energiser lithiums in, they sit in the car waiting for the time I need them.
One in each car.

These are tough little buggers, one is rolling around in the door bin of a bakkie (pickup truck) and its still working well despite the nicks and scratches.

They can fill a tactical/firearm role too, if pressed into that.
Out of town, refill with cheap alkalines if you must.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Coleman 15 lumen 2XAA LED flashlight around $20 from Walmart. It's a great all around light and has a flood beam which will be the most useful for your purpose. Not sure if it can use lithiums, but I find it to be a good light for the price.

mfm

Enlightened
If you want a pretty decent real cheapo I am fond of these, I've bought four of them:

http://www.goldengadgets.com/led-li...shlights/cj-1-watt-pocket-led-flashlight.html

The tint is a bit of a crap shoot but its got decent output, realistically like 35 lumens, and its got a solid build for 4 bucks. Reliability I dont know, but mine have never broken.

I bought the same light from DX but with a slightly different middle body and it redefines the meaning of low-end AA lights. Heavy flickering that even cleaning and resoldering won't fix. The LED output isn't that terrible (for the $4) but the switch is really bad and unreliable.

Buy a (much) better light for less than $10. This light appears quite reliable, it is more solid than the above light and is a twisty: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1137 (the light output isn't that high, but at around 80 mA drain it will last many hours.) Or get a Romisen RC-29 or Ultrafire A10 for around $15.

txmatt

Enlightened
Some have mentioned it, but for car use, the battery is more important than the light. Lithiums (AA, AAA, CR123, whatever) endure the hot and cold extremes in a vehicle much better than alkalines. And too often when alkalines fail, they leak and corrode the contacts on the light. If cost is a factor, buy a cheap LED light but spend a few extra $ to put Lithium batteries in it.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoever it was who suggested the headlamp was exactly right. If you're changing a tire or looking under the hood, you need both hands. So you either use a headlamp or a light that's small enough you can hold it in your mouth.

Maybe your car is cleaner than mine, but I don't want to put any car light in my mouth...so a headlamp it is.

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
Akoray K-106.

I just got this light at DX and am fairly impressed with it for $10. It's fairly well built and works well so far (about a week of playing with it a fair amount each day). You can program each of the three levels, I think a low-high-strobe (thats what I use) would work well for an emergency car flashlight.

I would also second parnass' suggestion of a coin cell light hanging somewhere, I have these things strewn all over the house/cars/office and they come in handy alot for a quick shot of light.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't keep an alkaline battery fed light in my vehicle EVER again. I have too many of them leak.

Illum

Flashaholic
no idea why lighthound would bother carrying this stuff
http://www.lighthound.com/Chinese-1-Watt-LED-AA-powered-aluminum-body-flashlight_p_3302.html
http://www.lighthound.com/Chinese-Cree-LED-AA-powered-aluminum-body-flashlight_p_3303.html

cheap sacrifices output, durability and alot of "other" stuff we look for in personal lights. Personally a "stocking stuffer" light is not what I would want to depend on in an emergency, but as a loaners light yes.

I keep an Surefire A2 on the car, but what I have on me often can be tied to rear view mirrors and used as headlights with no issues:twothumbs

damn_hammer

Enlightened
in the good deals section of the market place, they're talking about lowes having the 2xaa rebel led maglite on sale for black friday for $10. plus if you moved recently and picked up a change of address packet from the post office you can gen an additional 10% off. if it pans out, that seems like the way to go. i don't own the light but had a chance to check it out recently at a store nearby that had an open package. for car use, matched up w/some lithium primaries i think it would be a good choice, and might pick one up for the second car.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=203300

eagletac p100a2 2xaa
i also like the two level eagletac p100a2 (2xaa) a lot, and it rides in my car. more focused, mid to throw beam.

brinkman armor max 1xaa model# 809-1095-0 $15-$20
for up close to medium distance its warm, very smooth beam will please. single stage clicky ease of use. available at some walmarts, pep boys, or by calling brinkman customer service directly. here's a link dicussing it further: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237106

once you have an aa light you're happy with, you should consider getting a headlamp for hands free use.

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas.

Since my wife is driving one of the cars...I don't want to spend a lot on something that may get lost (out of my control...if I lose one of my own lights, I have no-one else to blame).

I'll definitely look at some of the lights mentioned.

Thanks!

AFARR

And...I know that you need both hands free often with the cars (I do a bit of repair myself)...I have a headlamp outside now for working on cars, but more than a few of my mini-mags, etc. have some teeth marks on them....