Best AA light for Alkaline Batteries

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for an AA (preferably 1xAA but will consider 2xAA) flashlight that will perform well with alkaline battery. This will be as a gift and I know that the user does not have Nimh batteries. Also, the cost of Lithium disposables would be a bit to high for a regular user.

The price point I am looking at is under $30. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for an Icon 1AA. The regulation is designed to be bright when first switched on and to dim imperceptively over a short period. Then turn on again at the original brightness. Great for occaisional non-flashaholic use.

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for an Icon 1AA. The regulation is designed to be bright when first switched on and to dim imperceptively over a short period. Then turn on again at the original brightness. Great for occaisional non-flashaholic use.

Hi,

I appreciate the suggestion. I checked out Selfbuilt's review and looks like it dims farily rapidly from the start and precipitously while it's on. Interesting light but was hoping for a bit more regulated light.

That has been the challenge - trying to find a light that will have a relatively flat or more gradual loss with alkalines.

Thanks

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the Romisen RC-N3 does very well on alkalines especially considering how bright it is. NIMH is still better though.

Any light that uses a fair bit of power will not do well with alkalines due to their high internal resistance.

shark_za

Enlightened
Wow, posted today with my exact question.

I have just come into a lot of alkaline AA's and AAA's myself.

I am thinking of getting a torch to burn through this supply.

Maybe the Led Lenser is the right light for this predicament?
I think my supply would last 10 years if I used them in my 3-LED Minimag.

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
The quark regular with xpg R5 shoud do well with alakline du to the lower Vf

Did not notice the 30$ limitation at first but you coud go for the quark MiNi AA for 39$

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Consider the Coleman 15 lumen 2xAA LED flashlight about $20 from Walmart. I own it and find it to be high quality and well performing for the price.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id guess the difference in brightness/runtime between a primary and a rech 1.2v AA is minimal (15%) ?

(3.7v is a different story)

not worth worring about with 1.2v other then the cost $$ of batteries, but if you already have them who cares?

you can pick up a nice $50+ 1xAA light in the market place for $25 once in a while

but youll have to beat me to them.:D

(i have 5) :twothumbs

sabre7

Enlightened
Gerber Infinity Ultra remains the AA alkaline champ, not the latest & greatest but has very, very long flat runtimes on regular AA alkaline. Gerber claims 100 hrs on 1 AA battery, probably around 50 of useful light can be expected. Can even use AAAs too.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Coleman makes some nice lights for this application.
The fore-mentioned RC-N3 is a good choice.
Minimag 2AA (the updated one) is also a nice light.
I can't believe I am doing this, but if you can spare ~$15 more, the Lenser 2AA is also a nice light.

shiningbeam has some nice 1AA lights... the RC-G2 is very popular.

The Kingpower (also at shingbeam) 1AA IMHO is the nicest looking/feeling of all the low $$$ AA powered lights.

:twothumbs

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to back that up, I've given out 2 RC-N3s, one to my grandfather and one to a neighbour and I didn't notice any problems running alks when I tested them.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 from shiningbeam, its got 2 modes so the user can choose between modes (switched using the forward clicky) for a balance between output and runtime. IIRC low mode gets 12 hrs while high mode gets 2 hrs then a further 3hrs on low.

Dont forget to use "CPFuser" for a discount when shopping at shiningbeam