COP in need of Help! Raptor RRT-2 ? OR?

Pbanks99

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everybody,

I am new to CPF (this is my 1st post). I am a Police Officer looking for a new light for duty carry. I work nights and currently carry a Gladius on my belt and a Fenix TK40 in my duty bag. Looking to replace the Gladius, cool light but I have been using it three years and want something more up to date. The Gladius has an excellent quick draw duty holster, which has made me hesitant to go with a different light.

I have seen so many great lights on here: my favorites being, Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2, Olight M20, Jetbeam Jet-III M, and the Fenix TK-11 R2.

The main issue I have is being able to carry the light on my duty belt or at least one that has a clip, I would have bought the RRT-2 already but no clip and no holster (that I have seen) for that light. The main reason I think Police Officers in general tend to stay in the same old rut with flashlights, ie. Surefire, Streamlight, etc... is that these lights have holsters for a duty belt. If I can't find a suitable holster for the RRT-2 then I am leaning toward the JET-III M as it does have a clip.

I know this is a lot of info, but what do you think of these lights? What lights am I leaving out that deserve consideration? and does anyone know of a holster for the RRT-2?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Hey brother,
I hear your problem... I am a flashaholic lovecpf (not to the order of some of the greats on here but enuff to get me in the marital doghouse... LMAO).
Honestly... I gave up the search for holsters for the new flashlights a long time ago. Companies like Bianchi, Safariland, even Uncle Mikes are only interested in what is going to be the PRIMARY product that sells for our industry and that their product is going to carry... and for LE those are the tried, tested and true SUREFIRE, STREAMLIGHT, and PELICAN names. Not all of our new toys have practical carry options (believe me... I would have my RRT-2 out there in a hot second if I could find a carry solution that protected her like she deserves :shakehead). Not alot of CPFer's know the hardships of trying to find a synthetic or leather basketweave holster for your duty light because of official/unofficial policy :hairpull:.

So, personally, what I have finally (and reluctantly) given into is the fact that we may as well stick to the tried, tested and true names for on duty use :mecry:... I know alot of CPFer's are going to have issue with that... but thats life :poke: (feel free to chime in if you feel otherwise :devil:).
My new carry light is a SUREFIRE lego/turnkey right off of this site from the thread below :paypal::
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234868.

From Electronguru, I built my own custom surefire C2-HA, bored out to accept 18650's, with a stainless steal bezel ring, a forward clicky Z58-HA tailcap, and a Malkoff M30 drop-in.

Its simple, its quality, its bright, its durable, it will work everytime, and I CAN CARRY IT PRACTICALLY ON DUTY with what is already out there for common and accepted duty gear :grin2:.

It sucks... but you wont find EXACTLY what you want for carry options unless:
a) your department uses nylon equiment (in which case EVERYTHING has SOMETHING out there it will fit in), or;
b) you go to a leathersmith that is willing to do a custom job for you.

Last edited:

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Thanks for your services! Cant wait to get into law enforcement. I start the LEO academy in January... What did I get myself into :ohgeez: :crackup:

I recommend the Jetbeam-III M. Its an amazing light. Has a two way clip so it can be carried up bezel down to protect the glass. Also the low mode is programmable, so you can have it set to very low when you just need light in the car, then just tighten the head for max. You can also have the strobe programmed to whatever speed you want and have that as your low mode, then tighten for max. That way strobe doesnt get in the way when you dont need it. With a light like the Olight M20 you have to tighten and loosen the head twice to go from low to high, time you dont have. Also the Jetbeam is very throwy and an awesome quality light. It also comes in warm tint if thats what you prefer. :twothumbs Also the Jetbeam has stainless steel bezel and tailcap so you can set it down without worrying about chipping the anodizing. Also its one of the only lights that has a momentary on forward clickie AND has the ability to tailstand to be in candle mode and light up a room.

The TK11 is also a fine choice, but the Jetbeam wins just because of its low mode programmability. Just wish I could afford it.

Last edited:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention.

Be very very careful when it comes to using clips when it comes to duty carry. There are more then a few officers I know of that have lost their duty lights because it was ONLY clipped to their duty belts.

Pbanks99

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

Alberta-Blue, I can go with nylon duty gear so it sounds like I shouldn't have much of an issue. I enjoyed your response... I don't think non-Leo peeps realize the things we have to do just to carry cool stuff. I am hearing that the Surefire v70 Polymer holster fits the Jet-III Military very well, so that is a good option.

So, It sounds like my holster issues may not be that big of deal since I can use nylon... that being said, what light should I get to replace the gladius as main primary light?

Funny story since everyone on here loves flashlights: I was working with a K-9 team tonight on a track, some dude starts walking toward us not listening to us yelling at him to stop (K-9 handlers don't like innocent people getting a dog bite) I shine my TK40 right on him from about 20 yards and he stops dead in his tracks, and says 'What the F*&# was that!?' turns out the guy was just a drunk wandering... It was fun to use the light for that purpose (I have only had it a week) and nobody got bit by the dog...

Pbanks99

Newly Enlightened
WHT_GE8, good luck to you in the academy! try not to buy too much gear before having a chance to get on the street and find out what is REALLY important to you. I spent a bunch of $ on gear that I have since sold or given away...

and, thanks for your 2 cents on my possible next light.

Viper715

Enlightened
If you choose a light and can not find a suitable holster for it check with Hogosatsuken on here or check out his website http://www.thorshammercustomleather.com/
He does very good work and can make a holster for about anything. I have one for a Surefire and one coming for a quark. The RRT-2 looks like a good light but I don't have experience with it. I have come to like simple lights for my duty belt. Two modes is what I have come to like a high and a low by twisting the bezel. I have a Mlakoff with an M60 and the two mode switch and a Quark tactical set to high and low. Good luck with your new addiction and hold on to your wallet. Stay safe out there.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Take a peak at the Olight M21. It will probably have over 350 lumens, have a large hot spot and bright spill thanks to the SST-50. And the throw should be pretty decent with the larger reflector. It will come with an excellent holster like the M20 also.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
Matt at Battery junction said the new smoth tailcaps are going to be in next wee k for the M30. These I believe would fit in a stinger holster of you keep with the 2 18500s (shorter) and use the smoth tailcap when it arrives. 700 lumens in a compact package. OR get a P7 dropin for a custom 2 C mag. I have one and it fits in my sap pocket (not sure if you like to carry a light there or not) and is very bright with a glass lens.

Last edited:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
...So, It sounds like my holster issues may not be that big of deal since I can use nylon... that being said, what light should I get to replace the gladius as main primary light?...

Well so long as you dont have your Sgt or Lt. or whatever it is in your area bitching at you about your duty gear matching... I would go with the Jetbeam RRT-2.

You can use 18650 or CR123A's, you have 3 modes plus a strobe that really messes people up (or at least me). Its got a good bit of heft to it and is pretty solidly constructed in terms of feel and appearance. Its has Stainless steel end caps on the bezel and tail for protection and is a pretty solid thrower with good spill.

Like I said... if it wasnt such a hard thing finding a holster for it I would be carrying it on duty as my primary...

If you dont see the RRT-2 as being to your liking... you could try the TK11 R2 with a pair for AW 18650/2600's for power. Its a good solid, simple light that lives up to its reputation of being built like a tank.

I personally stick by my choice of a SUREFIRE C2 bored out for 18650's with a Malkoff M30 and other custom options. Its about as Solid as they come.

chef4850

Enlightened
If you really like the rrt-2 (great light by the way) lowes sells a flashlight holster made out of ballistic nylon that is universal for around $16-20.ooUS. I have two and use them quite often and they work very well. It has a swivel clip and the light can be used without taking it out of the holster. The holster works by compression. Heavy duty elastic webbing retains the light very well and I have never had a light "slip out". Great holster and a good price so check it out I am sure you will not be disapointed.

Chef

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the RRT-2 and the JET lll M are excellent choices. They are both very versatile with great UI's. Both are built like tanks. Both can be set to the level of brightness you want them to come on before you turn them on. Both have forward momentary clickies. Both also have the broad voltage circuit that allows you to use a large combination of batteries....from 2x123a primaries to 2x123a rechargeable's to 1x18650 rechargeable.

You can find a heavy duty black nylon holster with quick detach and a heavy metal d-ring for both these lights here.... I have one of these holsters, and it is just as heavy duty and rugged as any of my Surefire holsters. You can also find both of those lights there. You can save 12% on your purchase there also by using the CPF discount code CPFSAVE12 at checkout.

Here is a picture of the holsters....
Jetbeam-holster.jpg

Pbanks99

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it. It's nice to hear from those of you that have used these lights and can provide some insight. I want to be happy with this next light, as I don't see the wife putting up with too many more gear purchases in the near future!

Ok, so my next area of flashlight inexperience has to do with rechargeables... what is a good brand of 18650 and charger? are there major differences here? Again, Thanks for taking the time to help.

Hwy115

Newly Enlightened
I have an RRT-2 and I am a retired NYC Police Officer (was assigned to the Hwy Patrol). I used to carry the Surefire 6P. You don't want to much weight on your belt and it really adds up quickly. Stick with a light no larger than the RRT-2 and you should be ok. The RRT-2 is a great light!
Steve

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so my next area of flashlight inexperience has to do with rechargeables... what is a good brand of 18650 and charger? are there major differences here? Again, Thanks for taking the time to help.

I exclusively use AW Protected Rechargeable Lithium cells in all my lights. This is the charger I use. There is another brand called Ultrafire which I have no experience with, but I believe most of the CPF community trusts the AW brand most. The person that manufactures them is a member of the CPF community.

Another thing I would like to share with you is a link to the CPF specials page where a member called greenLED has put together a list of all the specials and discount codes the CPF vendors offer us. Be sure to check there before purchasing anything.

The last thing I would like to do is :welcome:and thank you for your service. This place can become addictive....and expensive, but most of all a lot of fun.

Be safe out there...:)

Last edited:

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Hey Pbanks, I work 3rd shift as an LEO and I recently sold my RRT2 because I was not a big fan of it as my duty light.

Don't get me wrong. It is a great light. But for your main duty light it has too many bells and whistles for my liking. Something with simpler UI like the Jet III M would be a better option, if you are looking at JetBeam products.
My main issues with the RRT2 was that using it with a one handed grip, the selector ring was not the easiest to change, you almost need two hands to change it depending on your grip. And when your weapon is in the other hand it can be difficult. Also, if the head and tailcap are not extremely tight the light will not function. I don't know how my head bezel kept loosening on me but it would and the light would not work. Also, I found it somewhat easy to accidentally change the selector ring when I wasn't intending to. I let my shift partner use it for a few nights and he also was not a big fan and preferred his Fenix.
These are just a few things I noticed while using it on duty for a couple weeks.
My suggestion would be to find a light with a simpler UI. Find a nice P60 host, like a C2 or 6P bored and drop in a malkoff.

Thats just my .02 cents. I carry an MD4 and a DBS on my belt so I have the best of both beam types. I love walking up on a car with the Wildcat encircling the entire car with a huge wall of light.

Good luck with your search. And stay safe out there.

AndrewP

Newly Enlightened
I'm an LEO and work in a remote county area. I have the Olight M30 as my belt buddy. I use it with the 3 x Rechargable 123's for max brightness. I carry spares in the bag as well.

My local Olight supplier has a Tasmanian Tiger brand carrier that fits the M30 like a glove and offers excellent protection. The stock M30 carrier is absolute (&&%$ as the light is lose, easily snatched and poor quality. The TT carrier is think strong and has excellent retaining characteristics in that velcro and a button is use to do it up. There is also an easy to find strap which joins to the flap for very quick aquisition and removal of the torch in the dark. The shape of the carrier is square and the stock tail cap fits in like a glove also.

http://www.jpt-australia.com/lights/olight/M30.htm

Here is a link. I am a flashaholic but only own a few torches. I am very fussy when it comes to a work light and have found this combination of flashlight and carrier to be excellent. As a 12 year LEO I know that a good carrier is as important almost as the light. Due to the small head of the M30 is makes an excellent belt light considering its great output. The beam is a perfect combo of flood and throw and power for General Policing use also.

The TT carrier has stood up to running through the bush, daily use and a brawl where I threw people and ended up on the ground the other day. Do not put your torch on your belt using a clip only. You will lose it.

I am not advertising, I gain no benefit. I am only trying to give you an option which imo is hard to beat. 700 Lumens on the belt with this excellent carrier is unbeatable imo.

The carrier is actually a baton carrier, there is an extra inch length in the botton. This is where the laynard can go if desired. Jason from JPT did a great job in identifying this carrier for the M30:twothumbs

PS.The button set up is be far the best I have seen for LEO. Pure one handed operation including changing modes with zero chance of changing modes accidentally. Absolutely perfect well done there Olight.

Last edited: