Loose pocket clip/ anti-roll ring on new DBS V3

Matt7337

Enlightened
I just got my new Dereelight DBS V3 today and am mostly delighted with it, but the rear accessory attachment holes are too big on it and both the ring and the clip are loose when fitted. Does anyone else have this problem with their V3's or have I got a less than perfect sample?

Matt7337

Enlightened
It's ridiculously loose on mine, so much so that I'm not putting either back on. It seems like a slightly flawed design to me from looking at my light but maybe like I said above it's just that the holes that the screws sit into have been drilled out 1/2 a millimetre too big.

I'd like to hear back from more of you guys on this because I know there are a lot of DBS V3's out there and I want to know whether mine is an exception where this is concerned.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to recall having a loose ring and fixing it by cutting black electrical tape to fit the inside of the ring. Nice and tight afterwords.

Matt7337

Enlightened
No offence but I just gave almost $110 for a high performance, precision instrument. Electrical tape to tighten up the loose fitting accessories? I hope that was a joke. I expect the fit and finish on a $100+ light to be perfect or as near it as makes no difference guys... if this sucker's not manufactured right it's getting the slow boat back to China. I've just arrived home from my first day carrying it and the loose pocket clip drove me nuts all day.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I guess your other option is to contact Dereelight and see what solution they offer. My suggestion made the clip usable in a matter of minutes...

Hope you get prompt service. If you were in the USA, Flashcrazy would get you a replacement in no time.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Hey Matt,

I too have had problems with the ring and screws on my DBS V2. It came with the pocket clip installed and it was nice and snug. Then one day I wanted to try and install the tactical ring (the one without the pocket clip). Needless to say, it did not fit. I feel like it was loose from what I remember, and I could only get like 2 of the screws in. So at this point I panicked, not wanted to ruin it, and put the pocket clip ring back on. Luckily I got it on snug but I don't think it was easy. Other than that, it has never failed me. Its a great light and I suggest you contact dereelight because you're right, a $110 light shouldn't have ANY problems.

-dole

mitro

Newly Enlightened
Got a V3 a couple weeks ago and both the clip and tac ring are loose. In fact I stripped the threads in one holes of the clip trying to get it tight. :scowl:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Got a V3 a couple weeks ago and both the clip and tac ring are loose. In fact I stripped the threads in one holes of the clip trying to get it tight. :scowl:

The head came off of the screws when I tightened them too much on one! Jay sent me a replacement right away. But neither my tactical anti-roll ring nor my clips were loose. Are you sure the screws are actually fitting into the holes that are drilled in the body? Pictures would help.

Matt7337

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah I'm sure that the screws are going into the holes all right. I'll take some photos of it in good light tomorrow and post them.

nbjly

Enlightened
I just bought one - resurrecting this thread -

The screws tighten into the ring itself, the screws protrude through the ring into recesses in the body. That's why it will never be tight, or stay tight for long.

I like DBS, except for the clip and there being no way to attach a lanyard.
The clip looks cool but: it's loose, it doesn't sit square to the body, it is sprung way too tight to get anything under it without a struggle, and the idea of a military-grade flashlight having three minuscule screws like that is just stupid. So I decided there had to be a better way...

a Solarforce tailcap side pocket clip can be opened up a bit with a dremel and is perfect for it. Two lanyard clip points.
However it is too thick and prevents the tailcap from screwing down far enough to make contact. Tomorrow a quick spin in the lathe to set the rear shoulder on the body back the thickness of the clip and I'll be happy.

nbjly

Enlightened
Thumbnails of completed mod -

Someday I'll sand off the Solarforce logo

The green stuff is a thick layer of weatherproof gitd