Custom Reflector: CNC Version

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Woodbender (bless him!) took pity on me trying to emulate a CNC machine when he had a number of them at his command. He was able to very quickly program his Fadal machining center with a reflector contour and produce this jewel:
EllMachining.jpg

On the left is the work-in-progress with aluminum flying. Imagine my excitement last night as the pictures started arriving via email! On the right is the completed machined reflector in need of a little lathe polishing and threading.

This particular reflector has an elliptical contour to once and for all determine the best source point for the HD emitter. That will dictate the precise focal point location for ... well, that's on the drawing board, but we're anticipating easily swapped reflectors for spot, flood, or anything in between ... and in either 1W or 5W!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my goodness!!!!!

I can actually start to see a 5-inch deep reflector for an HD...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That looks quite promising!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Otokoyama said:
That will dictate the precise focal point location for ... well, that's on the drawing board, but we're anticipating easily swapped reflectors for spot, flood, or anything in between ... and in either 1W or 5W!

[/ QUOTE ]

fd0c76e3.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I just put two of the machined reflectors in the mail. Hopefully Otokoyama will have them polished out and update us by the end of the weekend on their effectiveness. We will be working on several ideas hopefully coming up with 2-3 reflectors that offer different beam patterns. The idea is to locate a precise focal point and use a reflector in a fixed head versus a focusing head.

Time to sit back and wait for the results.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I trouble someone please to resave the image and post it on another server? I can't see this image /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
<font color="red">nice!!!</font>

outter dimensions please?

i vote for a 1degree spot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with Rothrandir,
1 degree spot! Will these things fit in D cell Mags and Elektrolumens Blasters? I have a 5D 5W Cyan Mag that is used to nuke retinas with (ooops) The point of it is maximum illumination so your optic interests me. Also want to get around to an S ranked Luxeon 1W in a 2AA Brinkmann with BB500 regulator.... yeah, want a spot beam out of that one.
Your reflector gives my addiction justification to continue! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif How much, when it will be available and how much does it cost? I need my fix! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the fabricators /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif What is the advantage to doing an all CNC solution like this as opposed to spinning the reflector onto a CNC'ed die or something like that? It just seems to me that to cnc each and every one for a small run would be expensive and create a LOT of aluminum shavings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but that cnc'ing a jig once, and then spinning a whole bunch out of aluminum might be easier? The shape of a reflector is perfect for spinning since you can do the jig in one piece due to the contour.

You would get a much more solid piece from a single piece of aluminum like that certainly.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
James,
Becuase if you ever say "CNC" (Computer Numerical Control) it says you are beyond hope. The aluminum gets recycled and CNC is the answer for small batches of amazing products. If I had a CNC machine in my house, my house would consist of AutoCAD drawings fed into the CNC machine. In a few years, I will get a lathe and work on my AutoCAD 14 skills (I know it is not the latest and greatest)
For small amounts of anything, CNC machining is the answer. Sand casting works but takes too long and forging...requires a large run for the molds.

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Just an fyi. This first reflector is for testing only. We haven't even discussed the logistics of producing such a reflector even if the design was final. There are a couple of different possibilities to producing such a reflector when the appropriate time comes. Otokoyama is the main brainchild behind the project. I jumped in to help because we have both been working on a very similar light design and I can cut the contours of the reflector much quicker and easier than he can. Also two minds are better than one. I'm HOPING that our collaboration will result in a nice cross between our designs, and a production of some sort may happen in the future. Now I get to wait with the rest of you to see how the reflector works once it's polished out.

Tweek

Enlightened
I can see a lot of potential for something like this if it actually comes to fruition... I like the throw my SNII has, but anything can be improved, if you're willing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

Otokoyama

Enlightened
We'll see how this polishes out very soon:
FinishedEllReflector.jpg

The problem with reflectors is that every part of the contour depends on the previous part. A reflector with a 1 degree spot would be 57 times as long as it is wide ... but it won't waste much in spill! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Using an HD emitter, you'd end up with something that resembles half a javelin.

However, if the design works out, you can special order such a reflector, and swap it in.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

how far does the luxeon need to be inside the reflector?
this looks almost as if it sits on top like an optic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah! I didn't realize that such a big piece of alu block is needed to to create a reflector.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, unless you have a molding pot or, mold ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif ), you might have some trouble "shaping" a reflector from molten aluminum...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Hmm... Wouldn't this make a great pot for an MR16 mod if it was larger, wider and deep enough....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Rothrandir: The reason for making this elliptical reflector is to find out exactly how far. This particular reflector has a focal point 0.04" from the bottom of the emitter opening. The objective, as you've noticed, it for the reflector to exactly sit on top of the emitter body since that provides a good stop that's not too fragile. Having an emitter opening just big enough to allow the emitter lens to enter the reflector results in a fairly sizable reduction in overall length, but the problem of the emitter lens actually blocking part of the reflection must be designed around, and the reflector area nearest the emitter must be held to extremely tight tolerances.

In the design runs I've done, allowing a 20 degree off-axis spill (40 arc degress total) results in reasonably controlled spill without undue reflector length. An advantage to making your own reflector is that it can be designed around other modifications, such as the McGizmo Refractor which I personally believe you'll eventually see on all high-end lights intended for throw.

LukeK

Enlightened
Wow -- now that looks fantastic. I'm eager to see how this reflector performs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Nerd...The reason the block was so big to start with is that is what I had in stock. The best way would be to use aluminum rod, but I don't buy anything if I already have something that will work. I heard from Otokoyama this morning. He has a very busy schedule ahead, but he will be working on the reflector as soon as he can once he gets it. I'm guessing it will arrive at his house Sat.