LED-based glow lights

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig glow lights, use them for everything from marking something in the dark (like my kids), to a diversion for the little ones -- kids universally seem to love them. There are some electronic glow lights, almost always based on LEDs hitting some incandescent material. With all the great innovation going on in LEDs, I wonder if I've missed any innovation in LED-based glow lights? To me, it feels like in the electronic glowstick world, the LED industry is where it was 10 years ago... am I wrong?

Here are a couple that I know about:

Glo Toobs, in assorted flavors from standard to multi-mode to lithium-powered versions: http://www.glo-toob.com/main.html You'd think by now we might have some insanely bright ones, but I haven't heard about any innovation in this type devices in many years.

Life Gear Glow sticks: http://www.lifegearcompany.com/glowsticks.html Run off little watch batteries...

There are various makers of similar sticks, e.g., Krill is similar to Glo Toob (but runs on AA), Psycho Stick and LazerBrite have similar products to Life Gear.

So, what have I missed? I feel like if I'd written this thread 5 years ago, I'd pointing at the same or similar products, with the same or similar performance. I thought by now I'd have a <6-inch electronic stick running off AAs or 123As, with a high mode as bright as the big 15-inch chemical sticks or 5-minute intense chemical sticks, but adjustable way down to a really long-lasting low. I don't mean putting XP-G in these things, there is plenty of less-expensive LED tech that would be a huge bump for these type of products. The technology is there ... no market I suppose, or maybe the EL material is a limiting factor?

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
These look like great products to make your kids more visible. I'll be keeping an eye on this one for when my son gets a bit older and wants to play out in the street by himself!

Thanks for the links.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am fond of these two:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/a52-003.html

http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/35-Keychain-Lantern.html

Why? Both are inexpensive, 5mm led lights that work great as markers. I use them all the time. The lantern is around my dog's neck for our nightly walks of 20+ mins/night. I have been using the same lantern every night for over 2 years! Target had them for under $5 last time I checked (awhile ago).

The clip on ones I use to mark my kids at night; I attach it to their gear, bags, etc. They like them and think they're cool (which, of course, they are!). Got mine at BatteryJunction.

Both lights are pretty dang tough for the price; not as tough as a Glo-Toob, but tons cheaper and alot lighter in weight. I have a Toob and Krill as well, and some cheaper reflectorish flashers. The flashers clip stinks, making it unreliable for that kind of use. It does run on 2AAA, though, and that's good for more static positioning (marking a blanket/chairs for an evening outdoors concert, for ex.).

The two linked lights run on 2 x 2032. They run a LONG time on these cells. That's what sold me, the fact that they don't use 2016s like all the keychain/fauxtons do. Far greater capacity and less sag.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
IThe two linked lights run on 2 x 2032. They run a LONG time on these cells. That's what sold me, the fact that they don't use 2016s like all the keychain/fauxtons do. Far greater capacity and less sag.

Big Lots or some of the dollars stores sell the little voltive (sp?) flickering LED candles that run on 2032 batteries for dirt cheap. They always come with batteries. The best deal I got was at Big Lots just before halloween. They had a set of 8 candles with 2 batteries each for $6. That's 38 cents/battery. Digikey is another place to look for 2032. Something like 35 cents each. Most B&M stores want ~$3 per battery.

Last edited:

Latest posts