NEVER buying another Fenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantecubit

Newly Enlightened
So about a year and a half ago, after some research on here, I bought a Fenix L1D. It certainly seemed like a good light, with decent brightness and compactness. My light developed a problem with the switch (it would only turn on some of the time) so I sent it back to four sevens who graciously replaced it. In that time, I bought 2 others for family members.

The other day, my light failed again. I tried several fresh batteries, nothing. What's worse, one of the others that I bought is already on its way to developing the problem (getting hard to turn on) and I have zero confidence that the third will be immune to this problem.

This is all very frustrating. The lights are no longer under warranty, and other than buying a new switch (which would probably fail) I have no recourse. I've already sunk over $180 into Fenix and don't want to have to pay more to correct their mistake.

I know many people on here have gotten good results with Fenix, but my experience points to shoddy quality if 3 tailcap switches can fail so easily with the gentlest of use. I expect gear I buy to just work, period. Fenixes don't. So I'm never buying another one.

So anyway, what are my alternatives? Inova? Photon Proton? New 4 7's store brand?

batmanacw

Enlightened
Why don't you try contacting Fenix? Let them know the switches have been a re occurring issue. How much does it cost to buy a new switch?

Also, check to see if the ring that retains the switch is tight. Something might just have come loose. Use a couple precision screw drivers in the holes and make sure the ring is snug. If it is snug, take it out and see if something got into the switch.

I have many Fenix lights and several that are several years old and no issues yet. That does not mean that you are not having problems. I do think they will be easy to fix.

Last edited:

chef4850

Enlightened
twisty light are always an option. take a look at jetbeam lights for build quality. they are in the fenix range but just better all around IMHO.

chef

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I've had to replace a clicky switch on one of my Fenixes after a couple of years of abuse. The switches are not expensive, and easy to change out. Not a big deal for me.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you check the silver ring in the tailcap? Is it tight?

You should contact your dealer in the first place, they should take care of you. A switch is just a matter of postage for them.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Did you check the silver ring in the tailcap? Is it tight?

You should contact your dealer in the first place, they should take care of you. A switch is just a matter of postage for them.

In Fenix's that I have had, the ring in the tailcap unscrewed itself. There are two indents that you can apply needle nose pliers to to screw the ring tighter. Check this out.

Bill

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the cap is torqued down too much, the silver contact ring is hard against the battery tube. When you start removing the cap the ring will stay against the tube for a second while the cap is moving, in effect loosening the ring.

dantecubit

Newly Enlightened
I have seen pictures of Fenix tailcaps that have two small screws on both sides of the ring, but mine does not have these. It has two small indents but they do not appear to tighten the ring down

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen pictures of Fenix tailcaps that have two small screws on both sides of the ring, but mine does not have these. It has two small indents but they do not appear to tighten the ring down

Can you take a picture?

I am sure we can help you somehow.

Use a paperclip or something in place of the tailcap to see if you can get the flashlight to turn on.

Last edited:

007Runner

Banned
The Proton Pro has a delicate switch that fails easily. The warranty they provide for it is outstanding. If it fails they will take care of it simple as that. I have sent it back 2 times so far for a switch failure. Now I have a new one that just sits in a drawer. I am sorry I ever bought it.

From now on I will only purchase expensive lights, you get what you pay for.

strinq

Enlightened

the 2 indents can be used to tighten the switch, cuz it's the same for quite a few lights. Use a tweezer to tighten it. Again, if u have pics some here can help u.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought all Fenix L/PxDs had the small indents drilled into the switch retaining ring? Can anyone confirm?

If your one does not have these then post a picture if you can.

Thanks

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i understand your concerns with fenix after your problems, i also understand people have good fenix experience - me included.
personally in the past if i have ongoing problems with something that even has a good rep, i usually ditch it and go else where, the reason for this is to stop myself getting frustrated - i would cut my losses, there are plenty of other suppliers out there.
either way hope you sort this out and good luck !

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Did you try screwing the ring down with a tool?

Bill

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im sure the light is fine , just tighten the ring ;)

pipspeak

Enlightened

they are more like small indents/holes and you'll probably need to use something pretty stiff to turn the switch mechanism (needlenose pliers with one nose in each indent is what I use... paperclips often don't give you enough leverage). It might be a bit stiff at first but try undoing it then retightening.

kts

Enlightened
I dont understand why people change batteries through the tailcap, thats why your lights develop these problems.

First thing I do when I get a new Fenix is to tighten the ring in the tailcap and clean the contacts.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 Fenix lights. The first 2 I bought were p1 and p1d and I never had any trouble out of them. Next I bought a P3D which I have carried over 8 months. When I first bought the P3D it would flicker on and off and change modes by itself. I took apart the tailcap and inspected and found a bad connection in the switch itself (Ohm meter showed bad connection).Lighthound sent me another tailcap assembly and I have not had a problem since. So I know it is not always a loose spanner nut.

The other light is a P2D and the switch has been reliable.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emotionally charged sweeping generalities illustrate your disappointment and frustration. Sometimes it helps to isolate issues into discrete units, so they do not seem so overwhelming.

I think the paperclip suggestion was that you bridge the battery negative terminal to the body tube to see if the light activates: it is trouble shooting to isolate your problem in the tailcap by removing the tailcap and checking operation of the remaining parts.

You can also use DMM on tailcap contacts to determine if it is reliable or inconsistent.

best,
Linger

Status
Not open for further replies.