So why won't my D10 shut off when it's tightened down completely?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I've had it about 6 months or so. Used to be fine, but lately, when I tighten it down all the way, the light won't shut off, or do anything, if I back it off just the smallest amount, it works, but it's really annoying? what am i doing wrong?

Ajay

Enlightened
I've had it about 6 months or so. Used to be fine, but lately, when I tighten it down all the way, the light won't shut off, or do anything, if I back it off just the smallest amount, it works, but it's really annoying? what am i doing wrong?

Hey Ousanas, I know your pain. See my thread on this issue. My D10 now works perfectly thanks to my brilliance...:crackup::crackup:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245264

Ajay

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Er... when you tighten all the way down, it's not suppose to shut off. It should be on. :duh2:

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Er... when you tighten all the way down, it's not suppose to shut off. It should be on. :duh2:

Sure you're not thinking of the EZ AA? I only unscrew my D10 for momentary operation (1/4 turn) or to lockout (1/2 turn). When fully tightened, the piston drive button turns it on and off.

I'm wondering if the OP either has a shorter-than-normal battery or perhaps the piston is not moving back fully (such as if the o-ring is rolling out of its groove or there is debris at the back of the body).

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
It does turn on when you initially tighten it down, but you should be able to 'click' the piston once to turn it off. My guess is that the contact ring is either tarnished, or stuck down against the driver board. The OP might want to try removing it, cleaning it, and making sure it moves up and down freely when you reinstall.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
Sure you're not thinking of the EZ AA? I only unscrew my D10 for momentary operation (1/4 turn) or to lockout (1/2 turn). When fully tightened, the piston drive button turns it on and off.

I'm wondering if the OP either has a shorter-than-normal battery or perhaps the piston is not moving back fully (such as if the o-ring is rolling out of its groove or there is debris at the back of the body).

not the batteries, same tenergy LSD's I've been using all along, just started this. I'm thinkin AJ is probably right, as it started doing some funky things (randomly ramping up and whatnot) a couple weeks before this. Honestly I just put it away for a couple weeks and went back to my 120e, but I do like this little light.

I also took it apart and the oring looks to be fine and doesn't feel like it's moving, wiped out any debris that MIGHT have been in there, did see or feel any.

I'll check out the contact ring and go from there.

Thanks for all the replies!!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
That type of malfunction in a D10 is more commonly caused by using batteries which are too long .

As an experiment , see if alkalines are shorter than what you are using now .

If you can find a shorter batt. , see if that makes your light function better.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can tell the difference between an EZ AA and D10. :ohgeez:
The OP didn't state he tried pushing the PD to switch it off, I thought he assume the light should switch off when it's tightened all the way. Miscomm. :p

It does turn on when you initially tighten it down, but you should be able to 'click' the piston once to turn it off.

Same reason. :p

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I can tell the difference between an EZ AA and D10. :ohgeez:
The OP didn't state he tried pushing the PD to switch it off, I thought he assume the light should switch off when it's tightened all the way. Miscomm. :p

Same reason. :p

LOL!! I am familiar with the operation PD flashlights, and in my original post stated that it worked fine for several months, thank you for making sure tho' I do appreciate any help. I have been lurking on this forum for far too long to completely screw it up.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. I did try a couple different batteries and didn't seem to help.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
Success!! Took off the contact ring, it didn't look that corroded, but I wiped it down on both sides, and put it back together, good to go!!

Thanks again for all the replies folks, that's why I love this place.

Ajay

Enlightened
Success!! Took off the contact ring, it didn't look that corroded, but I wiped it down on both sides, and put it back together, good to go!!

Thanks again for all the replies folks, that's why I love this place.

I love it when a plan comes together! (from the A-Team):nana:

LightCannon

Enlightened
Yeah ... hehe ... but he said it in the proper way ... Hehe

We watch our language here .

Of course we're watching it. I mean, it's on the computer screen last time I checked, right? :thinking:

Unless there's a government conspiracy to steal our words? :eek:

My D10 hasn't had that problem yet...I'm probably overdue.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not government , just a CPF conspiracy .

The Mod's watch our words (on the screen) too .

If we use juvenile , offensive words or "hin*s".....

The Mod's WILL steal our words from the screen ......

And SPANK us and make us spend quiet time-outs too.

My D10 is working just fine .

Ajay

Enlightened
Not government , just a CPF conspiracy .

The Mod's watch our words (on the screen) too .

If we use juvenile , offensive words or "hin*s".....

The Mod's WILL steal our words from the screen ......

And SPANK us and make us spend quiet time-outs too.

My D10 is working just fine .

That's why I like CPF, it's kept clean by hard working mods.
Forums can really run-a-muck without supervision.