Disaster Flashlight

dworker

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I've been telling myself to buy a flashlight for the last six months or so, but have never been able to find one that "feels right", so to speak.

I'm a volunteer who does a lot of disaster assessment. This that I, and by correlation, my flashlight, needs to be able to go in all sorts of environments, and perform multiple functions. I need it to give me enough visibility that I can go inside a burned out house and see where I'm walking, so I don't step through the floor. I also need it to be able to last for a long time while I'm doing paperwork at three in the morning, or inside a shelter doing night rounds.

While it doesn't need to be safe for explosive environments - we're cleared by the Fire Department to go into a building - it certainly wouldn't hurt, because you never really know.

I'm not even sure if I want a headlamp or a hand held light. On the one hand,a headlamp seems to work better for the paperwork section - after all, having two hands free for doing paperwork is a very handy thing indeed. On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if the flexibility of a hand held lamp isn't more important when I do disaster assessment. They generally happen once after the other.

In short, I have pretty much no idea what the hell I'm doing, and looking at all these flashlights has just made my brain melt. The lumens and the bezels and the lenses and the intrinsically safe lights and the headlights and the candle count and the throw and the beam size and the oh god I'm so confused. :(

Edit:

A few more things that, in retrospect, I should have added.

Helmet mounting is probably not an option. In my unit, we're not assigned helmets - we just grab them off of the truck, fit them to our heads, and go. So, a drill mounted flashlight wouldn't be an option, like a lot of firefighters have.

In terms of the amount I can spend... right now, I'm working full time as a volunteer for my unit, so, I don't really have a lot of cash lying around. That being said, I can probably scrape some together somehow, and I'd rather buy something that will work for my purposes than something that won't, or will fall apart after a week.

Batteries are another concern. Rechargable is a nice idea, but sometimes I may be far away from a reliable source of power. I guess I could carry a bunch of rechargeable batteries just as easily as I could non-rechargeable, and just purchase some if I can't recharge - but then I have to have some sort of standard size, rather than some kind of proprietary recharging solution built into the station itself. Again... this is somewhat of a flexible concern.

Last edited:

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
I completely understand your confusion. It's easy to become overwhelmed with choices.

Thinking about size, a 2xAA light would probably be good for you. Check out the ones by Fenix, Jetbeam, Olight, and Quark to name a few good brands. And if you use the search box at the top of the screen, you can search for various round ups and reviews.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd suggest checking out the Romisen lights. They're relatively inexpensive and work very well. I have the RC-N3 warm white and really like it. Being able to switch between a single CR123 battery and 2xAA batteries is pretty handy. Every once in awhile, I'll need to use a light hands-free and I'll stick a CR123 in there and clip it to the bill of my baseball hat for a makeshift headlamp.

I ordered my Romisen from Shiningbeam.com and they have great service. If you use the code "CPFuser" you get a discount too!

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-By-Manufacturer-cln-Romisen/Categories

dworker

Newly Enlightened
I've taken a look at a few of the 2xAA reviews, and those seem to be an interesting starting point for my search. Still... a lot of choices. I must confess to not really thinking about how flashlights have worked when I've used them in the past. Pretty much, they turn on = light, they don't = chuck them back in the truck. All of these options is just paralysing. I can't even get past headlamp v. hand held. D:

KD5XB

Enlightened
I'm thinking you need BOTH a headlamp and a hand held flashlight. They don't really need to be all that expensive, either -- there is a nice, fairly cheap LED headlight on the market that attaches to the bill of a baseball cap and works just fine for filling out paperwork -- I think it's even available at Wal Mart. You can spend a bit more on a hand-held in order to get more light and possibly see something you could miss with a lower-priced unit.

But one thing is for sure -- if there's any possibility AT ALL that you're going into an area you can't get out of in the dark, make sure you carry two or more lights. It's incredibly embarrassing to have to stand in one spot screaming for help while holding a flashlight with dead batteries! :candle:

Speaking of batteries -- you'll probably get a lot of suggestions for lights that take CR123's or else 18650's. I'm going to suggest you stick with a hand-held that takes either AA's or D's because they're available almost anywhere, and after a flood or something you'll have a hard time buying CR123's for less than $10 each.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend both a headlamp and a light, or a light that can do both tasks (headlamp mount for the handheld light).

Something 2 AA and multimode would probably be best, neutral whit would be even better. I don't recall any currently in production neutral white multimode 2AA lights but there could be one. As said by an above poster, check out the Nitecores, Fenixes, Jetbeams, Quarks, iTPs, Lumapowers, and Eagletacs.

:welcome:

dworker

Newly Enlightened
Isn't a 2AA a little... big for a headlamp?

Edit:

Sorry my posts have so much time in between! They're still going into the moderation queue.

Last edited:

divechief

Newly Enlightened
I second the two light recomendation if you are going into a life threating environment. You might consider a quark AA with prisim for one of them, This small light converts from a hand held AA to a head lamp, Moon mode might be fine for paper work, turbo mode is somewhat impressive. If you opt for 1 or 2, protected 3.7 volt 14500 lithium batteries and a cheap charger,
for example

http://tinyurl.com/ylloosl

This will give you the light output of the 2AA version (though of course shorter run time) but you will still have the option of using standard AA's for slightly less output if you are away from your charger.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a Princeton Tec EOS or EOS 2 headlight. For the flashlight, that's a tough one. You may want intrinsically safe, but you need it to be bright. Those two don't go together. You want it to do everything, but if you wear gloves, a single level light (or two level light- twist head to change modes) with a forward click switch is what you'll want so you can turn it on and off easily. You want it to be cheap, but are in a profession where your life may depend on it, so you need something that won't fail. It needs to run on common batteries (know that that will limit brightness and runtime). I'd say start looking at lights like the Fenix E20 (2AA, single mode, focusable, 109 lumens), Fenix TK20 (2AA, two level, 150 lumens on high, neutral tint), Inova X2 (2AA, twist switch, single mode, bulletproof design), Fenix LD20 (2AA, 4 brighness levels, can be set to come on in high or low first, 180 lumens). Those lights are all waterproof, built tough, high quality at a reasonable price (depending on your budget, you might disagree), and reasonably efficient. If small size isn't required, the 3D (single level)and 2AA multimode Rebel l.e.d. maglites are at Costco for $30 (if you have a Costco card). Both lights will give you decent runtimes on common batteries. The 3D puts out around 150 lumens and is a great thrower if you are trying to see through smoke. You might be able to get one of the Rebel l.e.d. D sized maglites at Lowes Black Friday sale for $15. This time of year, I suggest shopping around. You might find what you want for a bargain.

dworker

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest a Princeton Tec EOS or EOS 2 headlight. For the flashlight, that's a tough one. You may want intrinsically safe, but you need it to be bright. Those two don't go together. You want it to do everything, but if you wear gloves, a single level light (or two level light- twist head to change modes) with a forward click switch is what you'll want so you can turn it on and off easily. You want it to be cheap, but are in a profession where your life may depend on it, so you need something that won't fail. It needs to run on common batteries (know that that will limit brightness and runtime). I'd say start looking at lights like the Fenix E20 (2AA, single mode, focusable, 109 lumens), Fenix TK20 (2AA, two level, 150 lumens on high, neutral tint), Inova X2 (2AA, twist switch, single mode, bulletproof design), Fenix LD20 (2AA, 4 brighness levels, can be set to come on in high or low first, 180 lumens). Those lights are all waterproof, built tough, high quality at a reasonable price (depending on your budget, you might disagree), and reasonably efficient. If small size isn't required, the 3D (single level)and 2AA multimode Rebel l.e.d. maglites are at Costco for $30 (if you have a Costco card). Both lights will give you decent runtimes on common batteries. The 3D puts out around 150 lumens and is a great thrower if you are trying to see through smoke. You might be able to get one of the Rebel l.e.d. D sized maglites at Lowes Black Friday sale for $15. This time of year, I suggest shopping around. You might find what you want for a bargain.

First of all, thank you - all of you - for your help so far.

I've been taking a close look at the Fenix TK20 and LD20. Those both look... well, they look quite nice. The Inova turns me off for some reason - I can't quite put my finger on why. The look? The single level setting? The grip? Eh. Something.

As far as I can tell from reading their websites, none of them seem to be designed to work in hazardous conditions. Which, again, isn't /necessarily/ a problem.

Is there a direct correlation between the throw and the lumen count? I mean... is the LD20 likely to have a stronger throw than the TK20, just because of the greater number of lumens?

Do you think the LD20 is too complex for use through gloves? Is the four levels more hassle than it would be worth?

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've been telling myself to buy a flashlight for the last six months or so . . . .

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Funny, isn't it ?

For the last six months or so, i've been telling myself NOT to buy a flashlight !

Good Luck in yer' quest to find the perfect flashlight(s).

:candle:
_

Gunner12

Flashaholic
2 AA is usually too big for a headlamp, but some of the lights have interchangeable bodies, so you can get a 1 AA or 1 CR123 body if you want a lighter light.

A 2AA headlamp can also work pretty well, the batteries would be in the back to balance out the light in the front.

A good place to start would be the Romisen RC-N3 II.

dworker

Newly Enlightened

First of all, thank you - thank all of you - for your help. I really appreciate it. <3

I've been looking at the Fenix TK20 and LD20 closely. Of all the lights I've seen so far, I think those two are the closest to what I could see myself using in the field. Neither of them appear to be equipped for use in hazardous environments, nevertheless instrinsically safe, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker by any means. For some reason the Inova just doesn't do it for me in some basic level. I'm not sure if it's the look, or the single level, or the grip, or what, but....

A few questions... first, is there a correlation between the throw of a light and the lumen output? Will the LD20 have a greater throw (and thus, cutthrough) than the TK20, because it has a higher lumen count?

Do you think the four settings on the LD20 will become more complex than it's worth, considering the likely use and the fact that it would be frequently manipulated with gloves?

Can either of these lights be fitted with higher-performance or higher-lifetime batteries?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Just so I can make the decision even harder. :thumbsup:

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Fenix MC-10 Anglelight at 4sevens.com ........ this light should do everthing you need

deranged_coder

Enlightened
A few questions... first, is there a correlation between the throw of a light and the lumen output? Will the LD20 have a greater throw (and thus, cutthrough) than the TK20, because it has a higher lumen count?

Throw comes more from the reflector or optic than the lumen count. Having said that, given two lights with the same reflector or optic, then more lumens will mean the light will throw a bit more.

Do you think the four settings on the LD20 will become more complex than it's worth, considering the likely use and the fact that it would be frequently manipulated with gloves?

If you are planning to use a light while wearing gloves then perhaps a light with a protruding tailcap switch will work better i.e. will be easier to manipulate with gloved hands.

Can either of these lights be fitted with higher-performance or higher-lifetime batteries?

You can use lithium AA batteries for long lifetime on one set of batteries. Though really, rechargeables are the longest lifetime in the sense that one set of batteries can be reused hundreds of times before needing replacement.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Just so I can make the decision even harder. :thumbsup:

4Sevens Quark AA tactical. Generally acts like a two mode light, the two modes are programmable, the tactical tailcap protrudes so it is easier to manipulate with gloved hands. Runs fine on AA rechargeables or AA lithium primaries. Comes with a clip, lanyard and holster. Grab a Quark 1xAA body and a Quark Prism and you can easily convert it into a headlamp as well. ;)

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
I think you are right on track looking at the LD20 and TK20. A 2AA handheld would be my first choice (Quark R2 versions are on sale right now for a good value). Ability to tailstand is a nice feature for paperwork as it can provide a nice area light (of course, anything can be made to tailstand - toss it in a glass).

I would then look at getting a headlamp as a second light, something like the Petzl Tikka XP, it runs on 3AAA, so also easily available and gives you flexibility, you should always be able to find at least AA's or AAA's (likely both). It can also be had on clearance for a pretty good price since the XP 2 came out. This way you have a backup, either light can be used for either duty in a pinch.

3rd Degree's suggestion of the MC-10 is an interesting one, I don't know a ton about this light but it could be a really nice option - worth checking out.

As far as your question about lumens=throw, this is not necessarily the case. The reflector design is a better indicator of the respective beam pattern. I can't comment personally on the difference between the TK20 and LD20 for throw but but my older L2D (LD20 precursor) has plenty of throw and good useable spill for most applications (particularly indoors).

Good luck - and thanks for doing what you do - that's good work.

dworker

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens Quark AA tactical. Generally acts like a two mode light, the two modes are programmable, the tactical tailcap protrudes so it is easier to manipulate with gloved hands. Runs fine on AA rechargeables or AA lithium primaries. Comes with a clip, lanyard and holster. Grab a Quark 1xAA body and a Quark Prism and you can easily convert it into a headlamp as well. ;)
And the advantage of that over the Fenix's, other than that it can be turned into a headlamp with the Prism?

Decisions, decisions. D:

Edit:

Perhaps I should get more basic than this. What makes one light "better" than the other? I mean... throws, OK, beam size and features, right, battery life, OK, digital v. manual, OK, fine. Right.

But comparing two lights that have roughly all the same amounts of those things... I honestly am not sure how to compare, say, the Fenix to the Quark. I just think I don't know enough. :(

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're worried about being able to use the reverse click switch with the LD20, Fenix sells a forward click switch for the light. It's about $12 at Lighthound.com. As for what light will provide the most throw, it's not just about the reflector. While a smooth, large, deep reflector will provide a lot of throw, don't forget about the size of the l.e.d.. A larger l.e.d. such as a Cree XP-G (while being the most efficient and brightest) will provide more flood and less throw. A Cree XR-E will throw pretty good, but often has rings or gaps in the beam. A Cree XP-E is smaller, and can be more efficient than an XR-E. If you get an R2 binned or better XP-E, it will outthrow most of your other options. Another factor is the tint of the l.e.d.. A neutral or warmer tint light will cut through smoke better than a cool white tint of the same brightness (as well as render colors better that can in some cases let you see dangers better at a distance).

dworker

Newly Enlightened
I just don't think I know enough to make an educated decision about the LD20 v. the TK20... nevertheless one of those v. one of the Quarks.