Problem with Pelican 8060. Looking for new light

traumawave

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I am new to the forums and hope I am not wasting time and space.

I purchased a Pelican 8060. I was specifically looking for a full size duty flashlight that has a polycarbonate body (doesn't suck the heat out of your hands). I wanted an LED rechargable flashlight that didn't have a Ni-
Cad battery (trying to avoid the memory problem). Obviously I wanted some serious light output. I purchased this light and was very please with the size, burn-time, durability as well as all the new ideas incorporated into this light. Thought I had found the perfect light.

Here is the problem. When the light is turned on, it causes some type of RF problem so that I cannot receive radio transmissions. The FD that I work for is in the 155 Mhz range. My portable radio and pager will receive fine until I turn on my flashlight.:(

So can someone recommend a good rechargable duty flashlight. Poly body, LED, and good burn time. Hoping to avoid Ni-Cad but would be willing to give a little for a great flashlight.

PS-1 Pelican 8060 rechargable for sale.

coldpointcrossing

Newly Enlightened
Maybe Stinger® LED HP? It's not a poly but it is "6000 series machined aircraft aluminum w/ non-slip rubberized comfort grip" - as per the web page. And it has a few options that are available.

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
By all means, contact Pelican. RFI strong enough to disrupt communications is a serious problem. It could possibly be considered a manufacturing defect.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicad memory is myth, so it's nothing to worry about.

The light's internals should not effect a radio (esp. in the 155MHZ range).

I'd send it to Pelican. They have a great warranty service.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you contact Pelican, please let us know what happens. I was considering buying this light for a friend who is getting out of the academy soon, after I checked with him to make sure it met dept policy and his needs

I have to imagine this is a problem with your particular light

dwever

Newly Enlightened
I have used a Pelican 8060 during vehicle check points with no problems - truly a great light.

I would not recommend a polystinger because of the beam. The reason I even looked at a Surefire was because my 185 lumen polystinger has such a narrow beam, reaches way out, but does not illuminate car interiors well. The HP may be diff.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
My PD had the exact same problem with the 8060's. We also run VHF in the 154 range. We found the problem when we T&E the 8060 just prior to them being released. Pelican sent us a couple different versions but they could never get the problem totally fixed. Pelican is a great company to work with so I would guess their reps would happily help you resolve your issue. We ended up going with the 7060 and everyone likes them.

John

traumawave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your input. I have always been very happy with the Pelican flashlights I owned. I have sent and email to Pelican and will follow that up with a phone call. I will let you know what they say.

Maybe their R&D will ship me a new 9060 for free to test drive.:sssh:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it's a flaw in the electronics? It should not cause any interference.

Not too many public service agencies still use VHF in the 155MHZ range, so i bet Pelican didn't think of this issue at the time of development.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't matter if Pelican thought about what radios are in use or not. If the unit has the FCC listed in it's alphabet soup (e.g. UL, CSA, RSA, NFPA, SMERSH) It isn't supposed to be interfering with any radios unless it is jammed inside one.

If it doesn't have their letters, they knew it wouldn't pass muster.

There is a remote possibility that if the signal is strong enough, and has the correct harmonics, it could interfere with a pacemaker. Not something you'd want to do to a guy during a traffic stop. :huh:

The doctors swept my step dad's office and house with something similar to bug sweepers because his pacemaker is one of the strongest made. He had to replace a monitor and speakers on one computer because of the radiated RFI they put out.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its got the typical buck regulator with an inductor and chopper circuit its putting out some type of pulsed magnetic wave out of the inductor acting like a transmitting antennae. Its in a plastic housing so its not all shielded to ground. The pulsed square waves of the chopper circuit through the inductor just put out a broad spectrum of noise that blanks out anything within small radius to it. When I test inductors in my lab and drive them hard enough with square wave I can jam the FM radio I listen to at will. (AM is far too easy to blank out as well).

Point is that just about any good regulated driver LED flashlight that is in a plastic housing may still do the same thing to that VHF radio. I would try to test some of those polystingers in a store against the radio before buying them. I know local gun stores out here in SJ, CA have a lot on display that have batteries in them on the counter ready for testing but don't know where you are.

You may need to go to an unregulated flashlight that doesn't have any driver electronics in it at all if you want to stay with plastic and not interfere with your portable radio.

Another option is an aluminum flashlight with an outer rubber grip like the Fenix TK20 just as an example.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Slappomatt,

You stated above that the Streamlight Polystinger has a focusable beam? Fantastic! But I can't figure out how, everything I turn unscrews.

So I went to Streamlight's web page and sure enough, it says the 120 lumen Polystinger has a focusable beam; however, when you go to the page for my C4® LED RECHARGEABLE POLYMER FLASHLIGHT, it does not mention that feature. So I'm still thinking mine is not focusable?

Thanks! (I P.M.'d you in case you're not looking at this thread anymore).

traumawave

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to update everyone about the reply I received from Pelican. They are having their warranty department ship me a new lamp assembly. I am hoping this fixes the problem. Also I had my brother take the light with him to work and he said it did not cause any problems with their 400 or 800 mHz radios. I will let you know if the new lamp does the job.

Thanks again.

rubin585

Newly Enlightened
My department utilizes 400MHz radios and have no problems as well. I will have to try the light with a VHF portable to see what you're talking about. I have a quick question about this light. Does anyone seem to have problems with small amounts of dust appearing on the reflector? I'm not sure if it's just caused by the lens/cap material, or if dust is actually making it's way inside the housing. O-rings are greased and seem intact...not sure what this issue here is..

Rob

bkumanski

Enlightened
Trauma, where is your department? I am very surprised you are even allowed to use VHF anymore as the Feds already mandated a full switch to digital for all public safety agencies nationwide for interoperability ( post 911 homeland security stuff). Not sure when the change over by date is, but there may be a larger safety issue here (VHF radios) than the light... BTW, we run the Pelicans as do LAPD with no problems with the 800 digital frequencies.