Which AAA?

Jetpac

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, im new here and seeking your opinions!

I own a couple of single AA lights (Romisen RC-G2 and Ultrafire C3) that i keep handy at home and in the Car, However I want to carry a light in the side elastic of my Leatherman wave pouch and these are just too big.

So now im looking for an AAA Light.

Ive narrowed it down to (due to costing and UK availability):

ITP A3 Eos (Upgraded) (~£14)
Streamlight Microlight (~£14)
Akoray K-102 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19768) (£5)

I can get the ITP and the Streamlight for roughly the same price (enough that makes no difference), However these are nearly 3x MORE Expensive than the Akoray.

This light is one i will have on me or in my bag, rather than the AAs i currently have. So Run time and Brightness are fairly important But I am only a poor teacher so i guess im asking several questions:

1. Which is better out of the Microlight and the A3 Eos?
  2. Is the winning light from Question 1 Worth paying 3x as much as the Akoray for?
  3. Are there any other options i should consider that are Reasonably priced (Inc P+P) and available in/to the UK?
Thanks Guys!

Incidentalist

Enlightened
To answer your questions,

1. I like the iTP better since I prefer multi-mode lights. I also carry my AAA lights either on my keychain or in my pocket. Therefore, I prefer smaller lights and the iTP is considerably shorter. I own a couple of the Streamlights, and you wouldn't go wrong with one and considering how you are planning on carrying it, it's not a bad choice.

2. Hard to say. I have an Akoray as well and haven't had any problems with it. As far as the cheaper DX brands go, the Akorays seam to be a bit more reliable than some of the other cheapies.

3. Do you want multi-mode of a single mode? Would you prefer a twisty or a clicky interface? What do you consider reasonably priced?

Personally, I like to pocket carry a multi-mode AAA. Right now, I rotate between a SS Fenix LD01, SS Maratac, and SS iTP EOS (I like the SS lights for pocket carry, can you tell?) Out of these three, the Maratac is my favorite. I can't recommend it for you considering that it is only available from one store and it would be most likely be cost prohibitive to get one across the pond. The iTP is essentially the exact same light (I just prefer the Maratac styling), and I would recommend it over the Fenix since it's cheaper and has a lower low.

If you want to splurge and expand your price range a fair amount there are a whole range of great lights (Preon, LF2XT, and hopefully the IlluminaTi).

vali

Enlightened
Be aware that the K-102 is a large light for AAA batteries. The only real drawback I found on it was the inexistent keychain hole. About 3 hours with a fresh alkaline and around 25 lumen.

If you end buying it dont forget to apply some lube. You can end ruining one of the orings like I did. Fortunately it had 2 of them there :). Unbeatable for the price (if you dont mind the keychain hole).

balou

Enlightened
Be aware that the K-102 is a large light for AAA batteries. The only real drawback I found on it was the inexistent keychain hole. About 3 hours with a fresh alkaline and around 25 lumen.

Akoray K-102: 89mm long
Quark Mini: 76mm long

And the Quark Mini is an AA light :devil:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like to pocket carry a multi-mode AAA. Right now, I rotate between a SS Fenix LD01, SS Maratac, and SS iTP EOS (I like the SS lights for pocket carry, can you tell?) Out of these three, the Maratac is my favorite...

If you want to splurge and expand your price range a fair amount there are a whole range of great lights (Preon, LF2XT, and hopefully the IlluminaTi).

+1! I agree 100% with Incidentalist!

shark_za

Enlightened
I have an iTP A3 Upgrade and a Streamlight Microstream, sorry no Akoray (must fix this = flashaholic)

I have attached the A3 to my security cards and it lives there.
The Microstream is often in my top pocket like a pen.

The output on the Microstream is comparable to the iTP on medium with a little bit more throw. Lithium primary livens up the Streamlight a little.
The runtime at this level is a one horse race, the iTP blows the Streamlight out of the water.

But those are mere numbers you can work around. The main difference is the forward clicky vs the twisty. I find I use the medium mode the most on the iTP but its useful to have a low for runtime and the surprisingly powerful high.

The finish on the iTP is better than the Microstream, a thick black coating on the iTP and a thinner mat one on the Streamlight.
The pocket clips are actually well executed on both of them, unlike some other junk ones I have (LL P3 springs to mind)

Practically the microstream is used for when I need to see something quickly, one handed and I can decide if its just a short look or click on. Probably ideal for holster carry.
The iTP is more of a 2 handed affair (can do it with one but not half as easy) that you use when you have a specific task to do.
Since the iTP is always with me the Streamlight sees a little less use as I usually drop a Leatherman branded L1Tv2 in my pocket. I used to carry the LD10/LGX200 and have the Streamlight as a mini backup but this has changed with the iTP.

In that price range the other AAA's I have are junk or don't have the same general use functionality. Lenser P3 or E01 for example.

Output = iTP
Runtime = iTP
Finish = iTP
Operation mode = Streamlight

An iTP on your keys and a Streamlight in your Leatherman pouch would be a good setup as they each do something really well.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I only have the 3-mode iTP of the three lights listed but for the money it is hard to beat. Come to think of it the light is hard to beat even at any level.

Jetpac

Newly Enlightened
Basically im after:

1xAAA
Small enough to fit in the side elastic of a Leatherman Pouch/Sleeve (So size/length isnt important as long as it fits in the side elastic)
Decent battery life
Decent light output (for its size, for just every day usage) Good Flood/Throw
Cheapish
Modes aren't too important i suppose (though would be nice)

Ideally it would be:
Black
Knurled
Have a clip
Clicky *** (Prob the most desired feature of my desire, but not necessary list)

However those are not really that important compared to the actual performance/battery life.

as for usage the light is going to be taking up the place of my main carry light as i want something that will fit in the leatherman pouch with the rest of the stuff i dont carry in my pockets.

So on the table at the moment are the:

ITP A3 Eos (Seems to have beaten out the Streamlight so far)
Streamlight Microlight
AKOray K-102

Any others that people want to throw into the ring?
Nothing over $20 delivered.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have a lot of lights, primarily one cell AAA or AA lights, some of them fairly expensive and I still love my 3-mode ITP.

Get one, carry it for a while, and you'll never get rid of it, even if you buy another 100 lights.

You're not sold on multiple levels yet, but I believe that like most of us, once you experience what it's like to be able to have a decent amount of power in your pocket, without having to run down your batteries always using it, and also have the ability to go very low when you want to, with the added benefit of incredible run times, you'll be hooked.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically im after:

1xAAA
Small enough to fit in the side elastic of a Leatherman Pouch/Sleeve (So size/length isnt important as long as it fits in the side elastic)
Decent battery life
Decent light output (for its size, for just every day usage) Good Flood/Throw
Cheapish
Modes aren't too important i suppose (though would be nice)

Ideally it would be:
Black
Knurled
Have a clip
Clicky *** (Prob the most desired feature of my desire, but not necessary list)

However those are not really that important compared to the actual performance/battery life.

as for usage the light is going to be taking up the place of my main carry light as i want something that will fit in the leatherman pouch with the rest of the stuff i dont carry in my pockets.

So on the table at the moment are the:

ITP A3 Eos (Seems to have beaten out the Streamlight so far)
Streamlight Microlight
AKOray K-102

Any others that people want to throw into the ring?
Nothing over $20 delivered.

Forget the Akoray,myself and cheap lights have never had a good relationship,nearly all gone faulty after a couple of months.

I agree with the poster above who has both Itp and Microstream.I have both as well and his comments are 100% spot on,nothing I could even add as he covered it all.

I sourced both mine from the US at a better price than buying in the UK.They take roughly about 5 working days to hit your doormat.

Another nice light to consider is the Ring Brand Cybalite running on one AA cell widely available in the UK,that is a little cutie,like mine a lot.

CPC in Preston do a high powered single AA cell Pro-Elec running at 120 lumens,just had mine so no user comments so far as I only bought it Friday.

My next light is going to be the single 123 cell from Romisen from one of the vendors on here.

Jetpac

Newly Enlightened
Forget the Akoray,myself and cheap lights have never had a good relationship,nearly all gone faulty after a couple of months.

I agree with the poster above who has both Itp and Microstream.I have both as well and his comments are 100% spot on,nothing I could even add as he covered it all.

I sourced both mine from the US at a better price than buying in the UK.They take roughly about 5 working days to hit your doormat.

Another nice light to consider is the Ring Brand Cybalite running on one AA cell widely available in the UK,that is a little cutie,like mine a lot.

CPC in Preston do a high powered single AA cell Pro-Elec running at 120 lumens,just had mine so no user comments so far as I only bought it Friday.

My next light is going to be the single 123 cell from Romisen from one of the vendors on here.

im put off the ITP a little bit by it being a twisty instead of a clicky.. I do love the clickys!

Ok for sake of argument then i guess its the Microstream vs the A3 Eos

Which one of these two?

I Prefer the look of the Microstream and the clicky, but it seems the A3 Eos is the better overall?

would both fit in the side elastic of the leatherman sheath?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I may be the only one here, but I gave away a couple Microstreams and one of them was dead and thrown away within the month.

Before buying my first decent light, the L0D, I was really hoping for a clicky, but upon getting used to them, I've grown to like only twisty's and lights without standard clicky's, like the D10 and the LF2XT, which are both out of your budget range.

Jetpac

Newly Enlightened
I may be the only one here, but I gave away a couple Microstreams and one of them was dead and thrown away within the month.

Before buying my first decent light, the L0D, I was really hoping for a clicky, but upon getting used to them, I've grown to like only twisty's and lights without standard clicky's, like the D10 and the LF2XT, which are both out of your budget range.

Is that a vote for the ITP?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Is that a vote for the ITP?
I love my ITP, and although I got it as a giveaway, have been holding off until I get more of them so I won't have to be without it, even though I carry my LF2XT and EZAAw all the time, with the LF2XT being my all time favorite light, with the possible exception of my Drake and Dracos! :whistle:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy both the ITP and the Microstream.Use my Microstream every day, been a good light this last 2 years.

The ITP is much smaller but on high it has some lick.

Bill

Incidentalist

Enlightened
IMO, the Tank 007 lights are inferior to even the Akorays as far as quality is concerned.

Unless you are willing to spend more, get the iTP.