XPG r4 mod from DIY kit w/ pics and beamshots

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I received my new xp-g r4 led's a little while back. I put one in an r2 drop in and replace it with one of my r4's. This modification I wanted to make something from scratch.
1. Flashlight host is the DIY kit from DX.
2. The 5 mode boost/buck circuit from KD.
3. The xpg is from cutter mounted on the 10mm board.
4. The lens is an upgrade ucl lens from flashlightlens.
The mod went pretty well and is fairly straightforward.

I used some dx thermal epoxy to attach the led to the heatsink.
dsc04767g.jpg

dsc04768cf.jpg

dsc04768.jpg

dsc04773k.jpg

dsc04776r.jpg

Indoor approximately 20 feet away from the door.
The focus is alot better than my last mod I did. This reflector that comes with the kit works better with the xpg than a typical xre r2 drop in reflector IMO. Much nicer hot spot.
dsc04777xn.jpg

It is drawing 1.3A from the tail on high from a freshly charged trustfire 18650. I have run it for 15 minutes continuously and it only get warm. Also it brought the battery from 4.22V down to 4.08 in that same fifteen minutes. Well, thats about it. Hope you all like it.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
the depth of the reflector is a bit deceiving. The head is securely tightened down. There is just the right amount of room down there and the solder blobs on the board came out nice and were not raised. I was worried about that as far as shorting out, but this diy kit seems to be the right fit for the xpg on this 10mm board. I am very pleased with the results. Also, I really like the size, it is a bit smaller than any of my p60 host lights. Thanks again for the support.

Ajay

Enlightened
Nice job, pretty neat and the beam looks frickin' great!

Last edited:

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
which sku is the host?
15969 or 15687 ? If it is 15687,it should be smo reflector but yours is mop.
Thanks.

The host is SKU 15687. I cant believe I didnt notice it but you are correct. It should have came with a smo reflector but it is an op reflector. Good eye on that. Well, thats DX for you. I have a bunch of different mods going on so I didnt really pay attention. I am pleased with the outcome of this light and the beam it produced.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP reflector should do well with the XPG,the R5 works well in my Mag 2D mod that also have OP reflector on it.
Thanks,cool mod anyway.
another question,did you use the retaining ring that came with it to attach the driver to the pill?

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
OP reflector should do well with the XPG,the R5 works well in my Mag 2D mod that also have OP reflector on it.
Thanks,cool mod anyway.
another question,did you use the retaining ring that came with it to attach the driver to the pill?

yes, I used the retaining ring. It allowed for a better fit. Had to use a pair of pliers to crowbar it in there. I did use a dremel to smooth out the edge of the driver to get just the right fit. This light has become my edc flashlight, for a while anyway.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread, but I just built an XPG R5 using the DIY kit from DX along with sku.26110 and I am amazed at how tight and bright of a hotspot I'm getting with this combo. The spot beats my Nitecore Extreme R2 in brightness - I didn't know such would be possible with an XPG! I thought just about any XR-E would beat any XP-G in throw... This thing is a monster! New thread with beamshots coming...

Shao

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently used to the same DIY kit with an XP-G R4 and the 3-mode 1.4A driver from Shiningbeam.

The only thing I don't like about my build is that I am having great difficulty tuning the hotspot.

I used thermal tape to attach the 12mm MCPCB to the top portion of the pill but it won't stay centred.

With the head screwed completely on, I get an odd looking beam (looks almost like the Yin and Yang symbol).

The only way to get a decent beam/hotspot is to unscrew the head 1 - 2 mm, but then the head wobbles :(

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
BR,

If I read your post correctly you have to loosen the reflector to get a smooth beam, otherwise you're getting some artifacts?

Seems as if the emitter is setting too far into the reflector. Have you tried adding a shim ring to space the reflector forward just a bit to confirm the spacing? You could use themal epoxy to permently bed the emitter and set the reflector at the correct spacing.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
BR,

If I read your post correctly you have to loosen the reflector to get a smooth beam, otherwise you're getting some artifacts?

That's correct. A couple turns of the head and the artifacts go away.

Seems as if the emitter is setting too far into the reflector. Have you tried adding a shim ring to space the reflector forward just a bit to confirm the spacing?
It's an XP-G with an XR-E reflector. The XP-G is more of a lambertian LED, so they seem to work better when mounted lower in an XR-E reflector.
The distance I need to shim is basically the same height as the MCPCB the XP-G is mounted on...1.7mm
I've tried locating a 22mm x 16mm replacement reflector, but haven't had any luck so far.

You could use themal epoxy to permently bed the emitter and set the reflector at the correct spacing.
Yep. If I don't take out the XP-G and put an XR-E in it instead, I'm going to get some thermal adhesive and try that.

Vbeez

Enlightened
js-lots : which driver board did you use ? Regulated ? Any review on this board ?

shao.fu.tzer : With sku 26110, it stay bright when input voltage reaches 3volt ?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those that did not happen to now...
thee hosts can accept standard P60 pills....then you have versatlity in light engines AND focusing is easier by lowering/raising the pill itself....

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently used to the same DIY kit with an XP-G R4 and the 3-mode 1.4A driver from Shiningbeam.

On DX forum you said you also have one with SMO reflector. Is it any better, more throw, artifacts?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to have a better beam and less artifacts than the OP reflector.
I think that is because the body with the SMO reflector is a bit longer and and as a result of that, the reflector sits 1-2mm higher above the LED.

I haven't had a chance yet to get the lights anywhere that I can properly test the throw between the OP and SMO units.

I hope to get out this weekend and test them.

Vbeez

Enlightened
I just built the same light few days ago after months waiting for board and xpg.
Beamshot

I used cutting pad for beamshot. Light to pad 30cm, square lines on cutting pad is 5x5cm.
Another shot

Light to wall 30cm. Sorry for poor pics.
I use the smooth reflector from the kit. Any reflector will make hot spot tighter ?
Parts : Light kit from DX, sku 15880 board from DX, XPG R5 from KD