Is my E2L stock? (pics)

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I bought this E2L used last week at a gun show from a SF dealer.
DSC02921.jpg

The light is a 45lm single stage with a serial on the body (A303595) and on the head (A06663 :devil:).

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

The light also has a twisty tailcap which i doubt came with such a fairly recently made light.

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

So here are my questions:
-Is this light stock from surefire?
-When did SF stop putting the twisty tailcap on the E-Series?
-What designation is the TC? (Zxx)
-Do the stock E2ls have serial #s on the head? (seems strange:thinking:)

Thanks! lovecpf

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It's a frankenlight.
Old tail
1st gen cree head
Newer body

I guess he put it together from what he had.

If you let it go, keep me in mind!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
They are a bit stiff but not so bad. If yours is bad then maybe the old tail isn't playing as nice with the new body as it should.

I have an old round E body and the tail end of it is a hair wider than on a newer one. That might be part of it.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
They are a bit stiff but not so bad. If yours is bad then maybe the old tail isn't playing as nice with the new body as it should.

I have an old round E body and the tail end of it is a hair wider than on a newer one. That might be part of it.

Ahh ok i see whatcha mean. Is it true SF will only send u a clicky if u need to warranty the twisty?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Not sure they have old twisties around still to send you so it's a good chance you'd get back a clicky.

It's too big a risk in my opinion. I'd keep it and maybe give it a good clean and lube. Getting one of these twisty switches in on my to do list. :thumbsup:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
. I'd keep it and maybe give it a good clean and lube. Getting one of these twisty switches in on my to do list. :thumbsup:

The first thing I did was to lube it. How much do these switches normally go for on cpfmp? You can pm me if its against the rules to post it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Some people would kill to get that tail switch. Those that play around with the hot wire's that would melt down the clicky E series switches.

Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
I'll trade you the Z52 with the new style Z57 clickie if your willing to part it:thumbsup:

Or you can wait for better offers which no doubt there will be some impressive ones;)

those old twisties is something that surefire shou have continued with but didn't, they are quite possibly the most reliable switches you can find:ohgeez:

Illum

Flashaholic
and yes to answer your question, there are serial numbers on every removeable light engine and the body. For "dumb" heads like earlier generation L1 and L2s..I do not recall if there were a serial. It appears the serial might be used for product QC references, but I dunno for sure. I don't work for surefire or intend to work for them and I don't know PK's method of his madness so don't quote me on anything.

They do not have to be identical and no you can't tell the model from reading the serials to see if they are newer models. Given the density of surefires on the forum I think its safe to assume the serials are unique to each light, rather than batch numbers the way fenix [now 4evens] does.

I personally love the single mode E2L, the single stage version is known as the "2007 model" and is characterized by a single permanent marker stain on the anode.

User [I believe, but could be wrong] SelfBuilt made a runtime for it
2007E2L.jpg

A solid 9 Hours of runtime from 2xcr123As, the buck circuit really does a good job. A measure of current via DMM revealed the current draw at around 180ma, even less than the Gen II Inova X5 famously known as the battery vampire.

Since its a buck circuit, running it on single cell is not an option, the KX1 starts from there.

I forgot who did this but yes, the E2l will run on rechargeable 17670s, although given the runtime on primaries I have no idea why you would go this route.
2007e2lruntime17670cbji8.jpg

I own three single stage E2Ls and is always on the lookout for more. Its a fantastic light with good balance between reach and spill, never gets hot or even warm, good light to keep on the car or in your BOB without the need for spare cells. It generally seen having welcoming asthesics, no combat bezels or anything "tactical" [or "tacti-kool"] about it. A good light for parents [or your better half] to use since there are no modes of selection and unenlightened folks often do not try to conserve runtime regardless of what light you hand them. From keychain lights to 3MCP spotlights, unenlightened folks will just leave it on pointing to the floor or somewhere unproductive and complain when the batteries die and they can't use it further.

I suppose your parents, kids, better-half, gf, bf, sylvester, fido, lizard, or goldfish you've chosen to entrust your light to exhibits such behavior, I suppose the protected 17670s might be a good route.

The E2L worked well for me, but due to its low power it doesn't fit everyone's choice for lights. If you don't find the E2L as apealing as it was described by yours truly above, I'll trade you a Surefire A2 [HA-WH, round] and a spare lamp for it, I'd offer you cash but I seem to be short of it. You can keep the tailcap ;)

Last edited:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Thanks Illum for the info, and the A2 offer. To be honest, I passed up a four-flats A2 and got this light instead. :twothumbs

I love that runtime graph, which makes this a great loaner light (the main reason I bought it is because u dont have to expain modes, functions or anything but on-off. Plus, you cant break it to save your life)

:D