EX10 broken!!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone had the threads in the head of their EX10 break?? I was switching batteries as i normally do at the start of the week and when i unscrewed the head, i found that the threads had broken, i.e. separated from the head!!

I'm at work now so i cannot post pictures but will do so later. Damn, this sucks as i was going to carry the EX10 as an EDC for my holiday to Bali :(

well, did what any flashaholic would do, ordered another EX10 from 4sevens but its the R2 one not the GDP. Will also be emailing Nitecore to see what can be done.

:( darnit

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I've heard of this happening at least twice and saw pics of it once.

I think the newest ones have been tweaked so this is less likely. Still it sucks! You should get a new head out of this via warranty.

No wait, I'm thinking of the bezel ring threads not the head threads! You might be a first.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep. mine is the head threads not the outermost bezel. Now i can't even screw the head on, it sits lopsided and the light wont even work. Ah well, email to Nitecore will go out once i get my pics up.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It was a known problem with some of the earlier ones. Send NC an email and a replacement head (or possibly an entire light) will almost surely be issued.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, did what any flashaholic would do, ordered another EX10 from 4sevens but its the R2 one not the GDP. Will also be emailing Nitecore to see what can be done.

The light engine is quite easy to swap, so you may use your GDP in the new light.

You'll get a replacement from Nitecore (or 4Sevens if you bought it from them), I'm sure!

I hope you knew about the 25% discount on the EX-R2 at 4Sevens (NITECORE25)...
EDIT : Currently 40% : http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2395438&postcount=6

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here...

I dropped mine from about 4 foot on a hardwood floor and it broke...:shakehead

The body is so thin, this light is rated ''not reliable unless used in a padded environment''...:duh2:

The driver and the piston was supposed to make that light bulletproof... yeah right... I never seen an AL body so fragile...

DimmerD

Enlightened
Mine broke like that while it was in my pocket. I sent it in and got a slightly used replacement, I am happy with it. The threads are a bit more beefy on the replacement.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ozner1991 said:
could you post some pics of the broken threading? im curious about where it broke

apologies for poor pic quality, beer and photo taking dont mix :D

the gleaming metal is the part where the threads separated from the pill (i hope i got the terminology correct), the light cannot be screwed in now.

I have been contacted by Nitecore and will be sending them the entire light for their checking. However, i think i will wait till my new EX10 R2 comes in before i send it in. Just in case there is something wrong with the new one.

PB240729.jpg

PB240728.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is sad. I have the GDP version too as well as the Q5. No R2 though. I hope my GDP would not have to go through this issue.

jl.

Newly Enlightened
My D10 broke in exactly the same way (I started a thread up when this happened). I had a email from Nitecore within a day and they replaced it before I even had the chance to send it back!

Their customer service is fantastic and I can't recommend them enough.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
update: emailed Nitecore in the first working week of 2010 i.e. week beginning 4th January and they emailed back saying that they had received the light and were repairing it and that they'd notify me once they finished repairing it and sent it back.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Tactical' lights can literally 'break'?? :huh:

I'd think twice before considering them to be 'premium' brand again... :thinking:
Has anyone had the threads in the head of their EX10 break?? I was switching batteries as i normally do at the start of the week and when i unscrewed the head, i found that the threads had broken, i.e. separated from the head!!

I'm at work now so i cannot post pictures but will do so later. Damn, this sucks as i was going to carry the EX10 as an EDC for my holiday to Bali :(

:( darnit

broken means its broken. are they going to weld it back together again and hope it lasts for a year so they can charge you next time? i don't like the sounds of it.... 'repair'... :thumbsdow replace sounds more like it.
update: emailed Nitecore in the first working week of 2010 i.e. week beginning 4th January and they emailed back saying that they had received the light and were repairing it and that they'd notify me once they finished repairing it and sent it back.