TK40 vs. Legion II

Some background - right now the most powerful flashlight I own is a L2D Q5 and I've never owned or even used a quad die led light. My dream flashlight would be to buy a U2 Ultra (because I love the idea of the rotary dial) and have Milky fit it with an MCE, but that honestly is out of my price range. I'm stretching for $150-200 final cost.

So the other night the better half asks what I'd like for Christmas and after some difficulty coming up with ideas I mention she could always buy me flashlights. After some discussion that I'm in between a few, she coughs up that she's already bought me the TK40 and asks if that's the one I really want.

Frankly I'm thrilled yet dumbfounded, because I've always thought the $150 price tag was out of reach and never gave it real thought to which quad die emitter light I would want. After some looking on here and the web I think I'm down to either the TK40 or the Legion II. I've looked at many other but I always seem to find something I definitely don't like about it - like the UI or the form factor (I like the beefy body style).

So here we are. I like the TK40 because I've got plenty of AA chargers and batteries. I'm also familiar with the brand. I've read about the UI and while not perfect, it seems better (for my use that is) than that of the L2D. Contrasting, the L2 looks like a dream. I love the UI of the rotator ring. But I'm worried about a couple things, first off water resistance. I have yet to find a definitive response on whether it can take a splash in a puddle or worse. Nothing in the specs seem to indicate any kind of stated water resistance. I'm also worried about the bad press. I've read many responses here from fans and foes alike touting their respective praise and displeasure with the product. I don't know who to believe. I don't even know if there is still a backorder on it or not. I'n not the kind of guy who's ok with coughing up $180 to wait in silence for my delivery to someday show up on my doorstep. Finally, I'd have to invest in Li-Ion batteries and chargers as I currently have nothing in that order.

Would love and appreciate any suggestions or guidance you can offer.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Some background - right now the most powerful flashlight I own is a L2D Q5 and I've never owned or even used a quad die led light. My dream flashlight would be to buy a U2 Ultra (because I love the idea of the rotary dial) and have Milky fit it with an MCE, but that honestly is out of my price range. I'm stretching for $150-200 final cost.

So the other night the better half asks what I'd like for Christmas and after some difficulty coming up with ideas I mention she could always buy me flashlights. After some discussion that I'm in between a few, she coughs up that she's already bought me the TK40 and asks if that's the one I really want.

Frankly I'm thrilled yet dumbfounded, because I've always thought the $150 price tag was out of reach and never gave it real thought to which quad die emitter light I would want. After some looking on here and the web I think I'm down to either the TK40 or the Legion II. I've looked at many other but I always seem to find something I definitely don't like about it - like the UI or the form factor (I like the beefy body style).

So here we are. I like the TK40 because I've got plenty of AA chargers and batteries. I'm also familiar with the brand. I've read about the UI and while not perfect, it seems better (for my use that is) than that of the L2D. Contrasting, the L2 looks like a dream. I love the UI of the rotator ring. But I'm worried about a couple things, first off water resistance. I have yet to find a definitive response on whether it can take a splash in a puddle or worse. Nothing in the specs seem to indicate any kind of stated water resistance. I'm also worried about the bad press. I've read many responses here from fans and foes alike touting their respective praise and displeasure with the product. I don't know who to believe. I don't even know if there is still a backorder on it or not. I'n not the kind of guy who's ok with coughing up $180 to wait in silence for my delivery to someday show up on my doorstep. Finally, I'd have to invest in Li-Ion batteries and chargers as I currently have nothing in that order.

Would love and appreciate any suggestions or guidance you can offer.

i can only speak to the TK40 as i own one, the fit and finish is great, other then a tight battery compartment, I'm ecstatic with my tk40 the beam is perfect, The UI is great can be as simple or complex as u want, your not forced into strobe or sos like on our l2d's, i like the memory, although will have to lock out due to drain when i don't use it, not a big deal takes a year to kill a set of battery's.

the beam like all my fenix's is perfect and great color and has a great amount of side spill.

i got mine for christmas and was only allowed to play with it for a day. but extremely excited for it.

there is also a torture test running around on the the light, pretyy much couldn't kill it. water proof as well, just like my l2d which i have used under water a couple times.

I'm sold on fenix, i rarely see issues pop up on these forums, alot of others do, and i want something that works period. i do buy the crappier c3 for the car, but i also need to deox the hell out of them so they don't flicker

maxilux

Enlightened
You can see it how you want, the Legion II is not only a Flashlight wich makes light, it is a Flashlight wich someone want to have.
The TK40 you can buy everywhere, the Legion II not. In my opinion the Legion II is the car.
But please no long discussion about this thread.
And please no comments from People that have no Legion II.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You can see it how you want, the Legion II is not only a Flashlight wich makes light, it is a Flashlight wich someone want to have.
The TK40 you can buy everywhere, the Legion II not. In my opinion the Legion II is the car.
But please no long discussion about this thread.
And please no comments from People that have no Legion II.

The L2 is a thrower, the TK40 is not.
The L2 has no blinking modes.
The L2 has no low output modes compared to TK40.
The L2 uses LiIon batteries, the TK40 uses NiMH or alkaline batteries.
The L2 is difficult to get and there might not be any service, if it fails.

There are lot of differences, what is best depends on personal opinion and what you need.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the other night the better half asks what I'd like for Christmas and after some difficulty coming up with ideas I mention she could always buy me flashlights. After some discussion that I'm in between a few, she coughs up that she's already bought me the TK40 and asks if that's the one I really want....

Now hold on a minute guys, she already got him the TK40.

Aside from issues of which light is better, let's be considerate to the wife here!

If I were him, I'd say "thanks honey, that's perfect, you did good!" or something to that effect.

It'll do more for you than any slight advantage you may get from another light. ;)

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the wife bought it, you tell her it is wonderful. And I do own one (and an L2D). The statement that the TK40 is not a "thrower" is from someone with a remarkable flashlight collection. It is quite true that the TK40 beam has lots of spill.

TK40 has a big, strong beam that can reach 200 yards plus. It makes my Surefire 9P (with a Malkoff M60) look weak, and with a much wider beam.

The LSD AA battery is the most practical power source available. I've got quite a few CR123 powered lights, but doubt that I will ever buy another. I will not consider a rechargeable Li ion (unsafe, unreliable). If you have a good charger and a supply of Eneloops, don't think twice.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I think the fact that it is a gift from the wife is the important part. And the TK40 is a great light whichever way you slice it, and if you already have a good AA rechargeable system in place - what was your question again? :p

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
The TK40 is an amazing light, wish my girlfriend bought me expensive lights like that. I would take the TK40 either way and take her out to a nice dinner :cool:

headophile

Enlightened
Thanks for all the feedback. I told her last night that it was in fact a very thoughtful gift, and that I definitely wanted the TK40.

like the others have mentioned, you won't be disappointed with this light. i sure wasn't and we come from almost the same background (had the ld20 before i purchased mine).

i'd say you're a lucky man too if your wife understands and even encourages this unusual hobby :)

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
The LSD AA battery is the most practical power source available. I've got quite a few CR123 powered lights, but doubt that I will ever buy another. I will not consider a rechargeable Li ion (unsafe, unreliable).

I have a TK 40 which I very much like for the AA power source but you have an irrational fear of Li-on. Li-on is both reliable ad safe. Look at how many products are powered by Li-on cells and the small number of problems. Locked away in a flashlight they are very safe. They are most vulnerable during charging. I charge mine in a concrete and metal firebox and have been charging Li-po packs for years that way for RC airplane packs. I've never had a problem.

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
First off, allow me to say how impressed I am with your wife for (1) even knowing what a TK40 was to begin with, and (2) actually dropping the funds necessary to acquire it for you. You, my fellow flashlight geek, are a lucky man indeed.

As far as the lights are concerned, I can only comment on the TK40, which I own. It's my only quad-die light. But I agree with what most folks have already said--you will NOT be disappointed with the TK40. It puts out a TON of light in a remarkably versatile beam pattern. It projects a very wide hotspot a surprising distance, and its spill is more than plentiful, it's enormous. The overall circle of light this thing produces is AMAZINGLY wide AND bright.

Too bad it looks so...erm...conspicuous...in my front jeans pocket. :whistle:

First off, allow me to say how impressed I am with your wife for (1) even knowing what a TK40 was to begin with, and (2) actually dropping the funds necessary to acquire it for you. You, my fellow flashlight geek, are a lucky man indeed.

Thank you, yes my wife is the best.

If you must know the details of the story, last Christmas she bought me the L2D, which I had specifically requested. Sometime over the last 6 months (probably several times actually) I've mentioned that my next light was going to cost around $150; I got the eye roll every time.

Now at the time I was speaking in general about the entire class of quads, but yes the TK40 was at the top of the list. So she just put two and two together, and searched for Fenix lights in the $150 range. With no offense to other's preferences, I'm thankful she didn't stumble onto the TK30 first.

The more I think about it the more I think a light with good balance between spot and spill is best for me anyway since I spend time in heavy woods and the spill will be more helpful there.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, yes my wife is the best.

If you must know the details of the story, last Christmas she bought me the L2D, which I had specifically requested. Sometime over the last 6 months (probably several times actually) I've mentioned that my next light was going to cost around $150; I got the eye roll every time.

Now at the time I was speaking in general about the entire class of quads, but yes the TK40 was at the top of the list. So she just put two and two together, and searched for Fenix lights in the $150 range. With no offense to other's preferences, I'm thankful she didn't stumble onto the TK30 first.

The more I think about it the more I think a light with good balance between spot and spill is best for me anyway since I spend time in heavy woods and the spill will be more helpful there.

you will be thrilled with it. i know i am. its also awesome that you don't make the comment" this is great....but i really wanted the......"

believe me she will be much happier

you did great, mine was a christmas gift as well, and i got a small eye roll.

but i ask for crazy crap all the time, so its pretty normal for them anymore not to have any idea at all what to buy me.

kind of gave up on surprises if you know what i mean, the "what the hell am i going to do with this...." kind of comments kind of changed that LOL:oops:

daveneal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the feedback. I told her last night that it was in fact a very thoughtful gift, and that I definitely wanted the TK40.

If I were you I would try and get this thread removed in case your wife ever comes across it and realises that you were considering another light over the one she had already bought.

You could be on the bench for weeks if that happens.

Cleron

Newly Enlightened
L2 is a nice light to be sure, but good luck getting one off Neo. While i have my limited edition I'm still waiting for the STD version to arrive and i pre paid more then 4 months ago. The man dose to get things done, but dam it's one hell of a wait.

As far as lights go I'm not a huge fan of the Tk40, but that has nothing to do with the light, but rather the fact i already own a Mag 85. I also own the Lumapower MVP & ThruNite Catapult, both witch would be the lights i suggest you look at rather then the Legion II for the simple fact that they are in general a better "overall" light. When it comes to finish you just never know with the Legion, but both the MVP & Catapult will offer you a light you won't need to worry about. Comparable or better output & no need to fear about very long order/shipping times or bad support. You can get both from Battery Junction.

I would not give up the TK40 given that it is a gift from your wife, but if you need to look for a bigger light again i would look at the 2 i suggested first.