Quark Turbo AA XP-G R5 vs Quark AA2 XP-E R2?

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I will use the light for night hiking in the mountains where I live. Having decent throw is important, but I do not want a tunnel like beam. Practically speaking, is there a substantial visual difference in the light output on medium, high, and max between the 2 lights?

I am referring to the Quark Turbo AA.

I am especially interested in hearing from people with actual experience with both lights.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Quark Turbo 2AA

To answer your 1 question I think so, yes.

Further The Quark Turbo 2XAA does not give you tunnel vision, there is a decent spill.
What about the title of this thread? Turbo VS AA2?
Are you looking at the AA or 123 Turbo and what is the AA2 you want to compare to, regular Quark?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Quark Turbo vs AA2?

Can you rephrase the question?

Difference between the respective models? Well, both should be the same brightness on each mode, with a difference in beam shape.

Difference between each successive brightness level? Well, that's the whole point of modes...

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quark Turbo vs AA2?

Can you rephrase the question?

Difference between the respective models? Well, both should be the same brightness on each mode, with a difference in beam shape.

Difference between each successive brightness level? Well, that's the whole point of modes...

Thanks for pointing out the confusion. I re-worded the question.

I expected the Turbo would be brighter as well.

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quark Turbo AA vs Quark AA2?

I have the Quark 2AA Turbo (XP-G R5) and the original 2AA (XP-E R2). I don't have a light meter or anything, but the Turbo is brighter to my eye, which I attribute to the higher efficacy of the R5 emitter. For your purposes, I would have a look at the new XP-G R5 Quarks (the non-Turbo version). I am interested to see how the XP-G performs with the smaller reflector--should be nice and floody. But the Turbo had has good, usable spill.

Last edited:

Hiker

Newly Enlightened

I have the Quark 2AA Turbo (XP-G Q5) and the original 2AA (XP-E R2). I don't have a light meter or anything, but the Turbo is brighter to my eye, which I attribute to the higher efficacy of the Q5 emitter. For your purposes, I would have a look at the new XP-G Q5 Quarks (the non-Turbo version). I am interested to see how the XP-G performs with the smaller reflector--should be nice and floody. But the Turbo had has good, usable spill.

Have you compared them outside at night, especially at a distance? Was the difference large?

I expect that the regular Quarks with the XP-G Q5 will not have as much throw as I want but thanks for the suggestion.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

BIG big difference between the XP-G R5 turbo and regular quark beam profiles. I have a Ti 1X123 and it's quite floody, which I like in a pocket light.
The regular Quarks will be getting the XP-G R5's now so the beam profile should be the same.

If you need some throw you'd better go Turbo. :grin2:

Last edited:

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened

Have you compared them outside at night, especially at a distance? Was the difference large?

I expect that the regular Quarks with the XP-G [R]5 will not have as much throw as I want but thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I have. The difference is not that large, but it is noticeable when compared side by side. The Turbo has a brighter hotspot, which translates into slightly more throw than the regular head XP-E R2.

Not sure about the new XP-G R5 'non-Turbo' Quarks, haven't seen one yet.

Marduke

Flashaholic

The brightness will be identical, but the beam shape will be completely different. That's it.

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
The brightness will be identical, but the beam shape will be completely different. That's it.

I just changed the title to make sure I am not creating confusion. I am interested in either the Turbo XP-G R5 or the AA2 XP-E R2. I am not considering the new AA2 XP-G. If so, isn't the Turbo brighter?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just changed the title to make sure I am not creating confusion. I am interested in either the Turbo XP-G R5 or the AA2 XP-E R2. I am not considering the new AA2 XP-G. If so, isn't the Turbo brighter?

Yes, the Turbo XP-G is brighter in that case.