Jetbeam Raptor RRT-1 with XP-G R5, Nice!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally recieved my order from KD for a XP-G R5 "WC" tint on a 16mm board and decided to install it on my Jetbeam Raptor, here are a few pics of the mod.

The raptor was a pain in the butt to open to have access to the emmiter, there was a white plastic ring that prevented the bezel to come off, I opted to melt that sucker away using a soldering iron with knife attachment.

The original Cree XR-E was NOT heatsinked properly, in fact it was loose inside! There was not enough heat transfer material (Silicon?) only 2 little blobs of it on each side! Was it too costly to apply Jetbeam???:thumbsdow
1003761h.jpg

I still don't get why Jetbeam puts a friggin HOLE right under the led, WTF!!! isn't that part the one that has to have the most mass for heat dissipation? again, :thumbsdow
1003759.jpg

To their benefit, the metal around the hole is thick and transfers heat very good, anyway, I mixed Arctic silver epoxy and installed the XP-G this process went very straightforward.

1003763c.jpg

I installed some electrical tape to the base of the reflector so it would not short out in case the bezel is tightened all the way in, the best focus is achieved by unscewing the bezel about 1 mm.

1003766.jpg

1003763q.jpg

Here it is with its head on

1003763.jpg

So far I can say that KD has his bins right! It is brighter than a R4 from nailbender and the tint matches a WC R2 XR-E I got from Endeavour a while back, The beam is about the same or a bit bigger but the spill has increased a lot!

I do not have a lot of stock lights anymore :grin2: the only stock light is a VB-16 with a USWO Seoul P4 that I cannot open for the life of me.

Both VB-16 and Raptor are on highest setting, Guess which one is the raptor light on high?
1003767p.jpg

But it still can't beat the Diamond dragon Led I got from Arcmania driven at 2 amps on a Throwmaster reflector! I love this big light but is not as easy to carry as the Raptor

Raptor RRT-1 XP-G R5 on the left, Diamond dragon at 2 amps on a FM Throwmaster reflector on the right.
1003769l.jpg

The light still throws just as much as the regular RRT-1 but with more brightness and spill

Thanks for looking
AlexGT

Last edited:

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
Wow! that xpg has nice throw with the Jetbeam reflector. I bought the KD R5 p60 drop in and it throws like a common MC-E.

Lunarcorey

Newly Enlightened
RRT-1 is valued for its coating and extremely tough body. As for the circuit, still have space for improvement.:D