L4 owners read this before getting your L4 wet!

bwcaw

Enlightened
This is a warning to all of you L4 owners out there. be very carefull about getting your light around the water! I just got mine yesterday, took it in the shower and it leaked! I didn't submerge it at all either. I found out what the culprit was though: there was no o-ring of any kind between the base threaded portion of the KL4 head, and the reflector portion. I sent PK an e-mail about this, and he said there is supposed to be one there, so make sure there is before you go near any water! I think if one managed to make it past the QC desk without an important o-ring, more could as well.

BTW I was able to dry mine out, and install a spare o ring from the body of a UBH II. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
The o-ring should be between the base section of the KL4 head, and the middle reflector section. You can unscrew these two sections with minor force with just your hands. They have loctite on the threads though, so some might be harder to unscrew than others. One good way to test your waterproofness without dismantling the head is to unscrew the tailcap, wipe the silicone grease and stuff off of there, and do a suction test. If you can suck air, it will leak under normal rain type conditions.

bwcaw

Enlightened
fbd64c0b.jpg

Here's a picture of the L4 head with a red arrow pointing to the joint that didn't have an O-ring in mine.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwcaw, I don't think that part is supposed to be "openable", per se... Probably why it may not need an o-ring... Or it's sealed off completely...

bwcaw

Enlightened
Unscrewing that part doesn't get you into any of the electronics. Think of the collar from a surefire t-head. It is a similar concept. That part just adapts the reflector portion to the e2x body. And it definately "needs" an o-ring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
I am curious- Why would you take the light in the shower?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Daniel

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
because we're crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

my arc aaa takes a bath with me every single time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i've also been known (hopefully not by many) to take showers under with flashlights as the only light source.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
bwcaw

I love my L4.

I wish I enjoyed mine as much as you enjoy yours:)

I'm afraid to take mine in the shower, but maybe I could

sleep with it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just tried a suction test with mine, and it leaks like a sieve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I guess I'd better not throw my L4 in the toliet or otherwise get it wet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Jakpro said:
I am curious- Why would you take the light in the shower?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I'm still ROTFLMAO !

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked mine as well. No O-ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I frequently take two or three lights with me when I'm out for a walk. With all the rain we've been getting here, I will have to get an O-ring before I venture out with the L4 in the rain.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifMINE LEAKS TOO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

SOB!!!!!

batterystation

Enlightened
I was warned about this new "flashaholic" habit that I am now in. I will NOT try to explain why I am sucking on a flashlight. Having to explain why I have 20 lights on my desk is bad enough. Those of you with 100 of them have my deepest sympathy.
Oh yes, mine sucks (leaks) too. BUT what a light!!!

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

I just did some looking for myself - You can shine a bright light between the two sections that should have the O-ring. If the O-ring is present, it's obvious. If the O-ring is missing, you'll see the natural "HA" color. You can easily do this without taking it apart.

Dan.