Advice on an EDC replacement

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I'm looking for advices on replacing my EDC. I'm currently running with a Surefire L1 Cree as the main EDC.

I prefer AA lights as they are quite powerfull but I always like to get the lastest emitter, R2 this time.

These are the ones that I've narrow down:

NiteCore Defender Infinity
+ SOS mode (watch Panic Room by Jodie Foster and you'll know why)
+ crenated bezel

NiteCore D10
+ piston drive (for reliability)

Jetbeam JET-I PRO V3.0 CREE R2
+ good thrower

JETBeam RRT-0 Cree R2 LED Flashlight + AA Extender
+ AA and 123 battery capable
- costly (in this economy, saving $50 is quite a bit)

Any comment or any important point that I missed on those lights?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Latest emitter. :D

Ever think about a Quark? The XP-G will be in the regular line-up very soon. The turbo is quite nice too!

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Ever think about a Quark? The XP-G will be in the regular line-up very soon. The turbo is quite nice too!

I've heard of Quark AA but I've also being off and on here on this web site and I'm not sure when it comes to a new company. Jetbeam and NiteCore has been around for a few years now and I know that they make reliable product.

Haven't heard of this XP-G, will read up on it right now.

LightCannon

Enlightened
I believe that only the 4sevens lights are using XP-G R5's at this point. This includes the Quark Minis, the Preons, the Quark Turbos, and soon, the regular Quark lineup.

Then again, I'm not paying too much attention to new lights right now, so this information might be a little dated. Take it with a grain of salt.

Update: Apparently, Thrunite also has an R5 light...it's a drop-in.

Last edited:

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I believe that only the 4sevens lights are using XP-G R5's at this point. This includes the Quark Minis, the Preons, the Quark Turbos, and soon, the regular Quark lineup.

Then again, I'm not paying too much attention to new lights right now, so this information might be a little dated. Take it with a grain of salt.

Update: Apparently, Thrunite also has an R5 light...it's a drop-in.

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll look those up right now. Forget about the R2 lights then... Didn't know that R5 are out...

bansuri

Enlightened
The Quark MiNi AA is really looking like a nice EDC.
Just from the feature list, sight unseen, I think it will be a winner.
Here's the release info. Also available in Neutral.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are easily on par with Nitecore, Fenix and Jetbeam. I'm looking forward to the Quark minis. You should pull the trigger, they are good lights.:thumbsup:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are easily on par with Nitecore, Fenix and Jetbeam. I'm looking forward to the Quark minis. You should pull the trigger, they are good lights.:thumbsup:

+1

My QAA2 (XRE) is a great light. I use it all the time.

I'm going to get a QAA tactical with the new XPG when they come out next month, and the prism/angle head with diffuser. That by itself will meet pretty much all of my needs because I prefer floody lights for EDC use, and with the headband the prism comes with, it can be used as a headlight as well. Of course it will be compatible with my QAA2 which is just icing on the cake. And if that wasn't enough, the QAA is fully regulated with 14500's so you can get the same power out of it as the 2xAA model, just with less run time.

So far I've been very happy with the Quark I have. The only reason I still even use my Fenix E20 is because it's adjustable focus allows me to make it very floody. I don't think you can really go wrong with a Quark unless you somehow end up with a defective unit. 4sevens is really coming out with a great variety of lights, but I have to say, it's the accessories that sink it for me; they're all well thought out and highly innovative and useful. I don't think any other lightmaker out there has the same level of utility provided by the accessories.

Last edited:

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
So far I've been very happy with the Quark I have. The only reason I still even use my Fenix E10 is because it's adjustable focus allows me to make it very floody. I don't think you can really go wrong with a Quark unless you somehow end up with a defective unit. 4sevens is really coming out with a great variety of lights, but I have to say, it's the accessories that sink it for me; they're all well thought out and highly innovative and useful. I don't think any other lightmaker out there has the same level of utility provided by the accessories.

I looked through the accessories, the only accessories that I would normally need would be a White Diffuser Wand (Fenix makes them for their lights). I would use that when I want to convert my flashlight to a lantern. However, I don't seem to find any diffuser for the 4Sevens lights. Does anyone knows if the Fenix Diffuser Wand fits on a 4Sevens light?

LightCannon

Enlightened
I looked through the accessories, the only accessories that I would normally need would be a White Diffuser Wand (Fenix makes them for their lights). I would use that when I want to convert my flashlight to a lantern. However, I don't seem to find any diffuser for the 4Sevens lights. Does anyone knows if the Fenix Diffuser Wand fits on a 4Sevens light?

I read somewhere that it requires a little bit of filing, but yes, the diffuser wand should fit.

(I'm just regurgitating information I picked up lurking CPF. It's almost 4 in the morning as I write this, so I may be wrong.)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find I use the hand grip that came with my QAA2 all the time. (I use it on my E20, however, because I carry my QAA2 in it's holster on the strap of my cycling bag, and it won't fit in the holster with the hand-grip on it. But for the kinds of things I use my QAA2 for, it's not a help. It's much more useful for the kinds of things I use my E20 for.)

I'm looking forward to getting a QAA next month and they come with the finger grip attachment as well as the lanyard. I find the lanyard to be too long for practical use, but scissors and a lighter fixed that problem straight away (lighter to melt the ends of the cord together).

The Quark holsters are also sturdier and better made than what I've seen from Fenix, although I can't say anything about other lightmaker's holsters as I'm still relatively new to this flashaholic thing...

Also, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the new Quark prism attachment with the diffuser lens. For small tasks up close where I need hands-free the headband it comes with should easily allow me to avoid having to also buy and carry a headlamp.

As I said, I think these accessories are very well thought out and provide great simple solutions to most of the practical situations most of us would find themselves using their lights. YMMV but no other lightmaker I've seen so far offers such a wide range of well thought out, well made, and useful accessories.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Thanks guys for your inputs. I still can't decide between the Quarks AA or the Quarks MiNi AA. I'm here to replace my Surefire L1 after all.

The Prism looks to be a good accessory and I'll probably end up picking it up.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix red filter does not fit on my Quarks. The Fenix flip-up diffuser does, although it takes a little doing to get it to fit. The diffuser wand would need to be altered to fit.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Wow, Quark MiNi's release date was supposed to be yesterday and it's pushed back to December 3rd for US and December 11 for Canada... Those dated are after Quark AA R5's release date. Wonder if they are going to push the release date for the regular back as well?

Yeah, I might end up picking both up eventually. Price is pretty good for a decent light with the latest R5 emitter. Never own a 4Sevens light before, own Surefire, Arc, Fenix, Streamlight, etc...