Police backup light needed

TNpolice

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have recommendations on a backup light for everyday police work? I work the night shift and it will be used primarily on traffic stops and going through backyards. I currently have an issued Streamlight as my primary and I am very happy with it, it is very bright.

Here are my needs:
A clip to put it on my belt or car visor
Prefer not to spend more than about $50-60
It needs to be somewhat short/tactical
As many lumens as possible for the price range
I like rechargeable lights, but I hear that diminishes output

Any help would be appreciated.
I've been looking at the Coast T7 and Fenix TK10, TK11. Some of those don't have clips and all are in the $70 range.

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
Hey TNpolice... I am a Deputy in California, I use a TK11 as my belt/backup light. I am very happy with it. I have been using it for about one year now with no problems and several of my partners have them as rifle lights with no issues. I would recommend either the TK10 or TK11, the only difference is the TK11 will use an 18650 rechargable. If you don't need that either one will use two CR123 cells.

Any other questions let me know.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have recommendations on a backup light for everyday police work? I work the night shift and it will be used primarily on traffic stops and going through backyards. I currently have an issued Streamlight as my primary and I am very happy with it, it is very bright.

Here are my needs:
A clip to put it on my belt or car visor
Prefer not to spend more than about $50-60
It needs to be somewhat short/tactical
As many lumens as possible for the price range
I like rechargeable lights, but I hear that diminishes output

Any help would be appreciated.
I've been looking at the Coast T7 and Fenix TK10, TK11. Some of those don't have clips and all are in the $70 range.

I'm not a police officer, but for the needs you have at the price you are looking to pay, 4Sevens Quark lights are amazing. They are closing out their R2 emitter versions of the 123...
HERE
$50 for the light - free shipping. You could pick up a couple of AW RCR 123 batteries and a charger, but you'd blow your budget. Still, for a backup in small size this is a great light - I use the neutral tint version of it (perceived brightness is 'less') and love it.

Just my $.02, but if you search around the forum you'll find a lot of posts expressing high satisfaction with these lights.

:thumbsup:

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
Either the 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical w/clip or 123^2 Tactical should serve you very well.

They have the clips you need, and the two cell format even has a reversible clip.

You can order the R2 edition right now while supplies last at a discount for well under $60. If you use the CPF discount you can save an extra 8% off of that.

The 123 batteries in either the single or double cell format will provide a very short body.

The R2s throw out very high amounts of lumens.

You can use rechargeable RCR123A batteries to minimize operational costs. 4Sevens can also provide you with the batteries and the charger for those needs.

I have found that the User Interface of these these lights is excellent. I keep them ready at max output for any sort of "tactical situation" and all it takes is a quick twist of the head to access a more mundane output level for more routine tasks like vehicle searches or simply lighting the way in the dark.

------------
Edit:

Hah, the two previous posters and I must have been typing our posts at the same time. So I will second their recommendations. As for the overpriced Surefire Backup, I'd trade mine in a heartbeat for a Quark. Check out the marketplace, I still haven't gotten rid of this Surefire Paperweight! Having to cycle through max output to reach a lower setting and then vice versa isn't what I'd call efficient or "tactical".

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a TK11. Great robust light, with good throw and output.

I have a couple of Tactical Quark, and both of which have a strange tendency to stay turned on every now and then without a full click. They then require a few clicks to turn them off. Not really confidence inspiring.

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, I'd contact 4Sevens about this issue if you already haven't.

If you have, what did they say?

If you haven't, do you know that they have excellent customer service?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't yet, as I am waiting for it to happen more frequently so that it is believable and obvious.

I haven't mentioned it yet on CPF, as I don't in any way want to inflict negative connotations with 4Seven lights and that was not in anyway my intention with my posting it. I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that a Police Officer is planning on using one as a backup without knowing that this issue can obviously occur, as rare as I believe it is!

The first time it happened I honestly thought I was going crazy :laughing:

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
You're right. As much as I love the quarks, at least I know my surefires will do what I expect them to right out of the box. Too bad they cost so much.

The fenix lights do indeed have a good standing with L.E. and Military already, so I give this one to fenix in this price range.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
My primary light is also a Streamlight.

In your price there is a Streamlight C4 LED I think called a Poly Tac, i paid $49, it is 120 lumens, small, runs on two 123A's with a tail clickie. Illuminates vehicle interiors pretty well.

I used that for some time until I ran into a little LED Surefire that was 200 lumens, waterproof, called a Defender. While it is $149 retail, I got mine from an LE distributor in Montgomery, AL for $118. for me it is worth the extra money because of, 1., being waterproof for working wrecks in down pours or whatever (I returned my Stinger once for water collecting on the inside of the lens); and, 2. for the 200 lumens which deals with tinted cars on stops pretty well, and would be very effective in back yards.

TNpolice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies everybody! :twothumbsI will probably ask for a light for Christmas and keep using my Walmart special (hey, it looks tactical) until then. Or, I think there is a "Black Friday" for the internet... I can't remember what day around Thanksgiving it is but I could probably catch a sale. I really need one with a clip.

knightrider

Enlightened
How about this one - NovaTac EDC-85T?

It's got a clip, high output, it's a tactical. Reasonably priced too - $73. Seems like a good subsitute for a Surefire E1-B Backup for about half price. Reliable brand too. When I saw this thread I thought of this light right away.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the JETBeam JET-l Pro V3.0. It fits all your criteria.

1. It has a clip that can be used clip up or clip down.
2. It can be had for $61.00 with the 12% CPFSAVE12 discount at checkout.
3. It is only 4 inches long.
4. 240 lumen with an 14500 lithium rechargeable and 145 lumen with AA NiHM or alkaline.

Very well built light with the JETBeam quality. Has 3 user definable levels from a low of 2 lumen up to a possible high of 240 lumen. The levels can be set in any order of output desired...low, med, high...high, med, low...med, low, high...etc. It has a beautiful smooth beam. One of my favorite EDC lights that I think would make a perfect backup.

JET1ProV30-1.jpg

Here is is next to the JETBeam RRT-0 w/AA extension
JB-1andRRT-0AA.jpg

Here is a beam shot caparison. Both are on high at 240 lumen. Both are using lithium rechargeable batteries.
JB-1andRRT-0AABS.jpg

These next three shots are about 30ft from my deck to the fence. All 3 lights are using lithium rechargeable batteries, and are set to their max output.

JETBeam JET-l Pro V3.0 w/OP reflector - 240 Lumen
JET-lProV30.jpg

JETBeam JET-lll Pro ST BVC w/smooth reflector - 225 Lumen
JET-lllProST.jpg

JETBeam RRT-0 Raptor w/smooth reflector - 240 Lumen
Rrt-0.jpg

Last edited:

rm3

Newly Enlightened
im curious to see the responses. I am a police officer and i use a sf m3 with a lumens factory lamp and aw 17500 as my primary light. i was using an older streamlight nf2 as my back up but need something smaller on my belt. I was thinking of building a sf 3p or 3p clone with a malkoff m30 running on an rcr123.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first reply would be Surefire also, but one of his criteria is $50 - $60 range. So, my next choice would be the JETBeam which just happens to fit in to that budget. In fact, my favorite EDC light is my SF E1B that has been modified to put out over 200 lumen. But it is a couple hundred $$ above his budget criteria.

Here it is on the right...next to the JETBeam RRT-0
Dsc01580.jpg

bestcounsel

Enlightened
What about a plain vanilla G2L. 80 lumens, you can drop a couple of rcr123's in it and it weighs nothing on a belt or pocket. Single stage, no clickie to break and its a SF made in good ole USA. It just a back up right? Add a clip from Solarforce (new one that is out) and you are in business.

Last edited:

TNpolice

Newly Enlightened
Hey TNpolice... I am a Deputy in California, I use a TK11 as my belt/backup light. I am very happy with it. I have been using it for about one year now with no problems and several of my partners have them as rifle lights with no issues. I would recommend either the TK10 or TK11, the only difference is the TK11 will use an 18650 rechargable. If you don't need that either one will use two CR123 cells.

Any other questions let me know.

Are the rechargeable batteries the only difference between the TK10 and TK11? Another website said the rechargeable 18650 batteries are actually better than the non-rechargeable batteries usually used for this light?

And do both of these lights come with belt clips? I did some searching and it looks like the TK11 fits in a few tactical holsters for other flashlights. I may go that route instead of a clip if it isn't included.

That Jetbeam light that was posted is impressive, but it looks like there is low run time.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I read, I'd pick between the Quark CR123 tactical or the Jetbeam RRT-0 if you want a single CR123 powered light. If you don't mind 2 CR123s, the Fenix TK10 or TK11 can both work well for you. The Jetbeam Jet-III M and the Olight T20-M could also be options

The main difference between the TK10 and TK11 is that the TK11 accepts 18650s and has a smooth reflector. Both should fit in the same holster since they are similar in dimensions. 18650 are rechargeable, so will save you money in the end since you won't have to keep buying batteries. Overall runtime is better with a 18650 then 2 CR123s from the runtime charts that I've seen, but it is less regulated.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
Are the rechargeable batteries the only difference between the TK10 and TK11? Another website said the rechargeable 18650 batteries are actually better than the non-rechargeable batteries usually used for this light?

And do both of these lights come with belt clips? I did some searching and it looks like the TK11 fits in a few tactical holsters for other flashlights. I may go that route instead of a clip if it isn't included.

That Jetbeam light that was posted is impressive, but it looks like there is low run time.

The TK11 doesn't have a clip.