New Lithium Light from Dorcy - the "Spyder"

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Lithium Light from Dorcy - the \"Spyder\"

EDIT - I moved all of the "Spyder" related info that I have compiled into this thread and have abandoned the other. Please see the Group buy thread ( CLICK HERE ! ) if you want to acquire the Spyder. I never realized that this light was so hard to find when I put all this information together to share... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you have questions about the light or comments, lets discuss them here, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Today at Costco I noticed a package of 2 Dorcy lithium (2xCR123) flashlights for only $23.99 ! With tax that works out to less than $13 per flashlight. Dorcy claims 119.5 lumens from the "Spyder". The 2 lights come complete with batteries, so considering the cost of CR123's at some "discount" stores, that's about like buying batteries and getting the flashlights for free!

dor.jpg

The head on this light is "focusable" and has twin O-rings that make the head quite stable and presumably water tight. Unfortunately, the beam looks a lot like an "eyeball" when the bezel is all the way tightened down (left side of photo). Focusing it out tightens the beam (right side of photo), but some artifacts are still present. This is obviously due to the fact that the reflector is smooth, but it IS a machined metal piece. The tailcap switch unfortunately is NOT tactical - meaning that the switch must be completly depressed for the light to function - no momentary action from this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dor1.jpg

The obvious comparison light is the Surefire E2e. However the E2e costs ~$70 Vs. the $13 Dorcy - Is this really a fair comparison? Well let's see...

dor2.jpg

The "Dorch" isn't quite as svelt as the SF, but quality is definitely much better than other lights I've seen from Dorcy. They seem to be putting effort into "raising the bar" for their product -while still keeping the price reasonable. I find this commendable. The lights are manufactured in Taiwan.

The real comparison is the beams...

The Dorcy is on the left, SF on the right ->
dor3.jpg

The beam from the SF is a lot smoother - no doubt due to the textured reflector. The Dorcy exhibits artifacts from the bulb's filiment, but is surprisingly bright! In fact, I think the Dorcy might be able to be focused a bit tighter making it a tad brighter than the E2e.

The bottom line is that the SF is obviously the superior product. BUT for someone that is looking for a "glovebox" light that (that sees little or only emergency use) and uses lithium batteries as well as being compact and bright, this light is pretty hard to beat!

Anyone here who knows much about me can guess that I'm headed off to the "mod" forum and will butcher this light rather quickly. I will post some more photos there of the insides as well as details of what I plan to stuff into it (5W Luxeon). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Come awn!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Lithium Light from Dorcy - the \"Spyder\"

I just picked these up a few hours ago, so I've had little time to experiment outside of doing the write-up.

On the back of the package it states that the bulb is a "high pressure Xenon bi-pin bulb 4.8, 1.22A, 119.5 lumens". I would have to guess that runtime is much like a Legend LX or Surefire E2e.. But I can't say for sure, and I don't know what the "4.8" means. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The up-side is that these 2 lights don't cost much more than a single Legend LX. They most certainly aren't Surefires, but for $13 a pop, they are a good deal IMHO..

Machining quality seems about on par with Brinkmann products. Unfortunately the lens appears to be a press-in fit - BUT the bezel ring DOES unscrew, which leads me to belive I can come up with a mineral glass replacement.

The more I play er...test this light, the more I like it. I mean for $13 it's kind of hard to go wrong. Also they come with "open top" holsters like the mini-mags have.

I saw these a couple weeks ago when I was at Costco, but there was no price listed anywhere, so I passed thinking they would be around the $30-$40 range.

The nice thing is you can bag a pair and justify them to the little lady (by giving her one) for emergency use in her car.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually the tailcap switch feels real nice to me.. It's not a loud CLICK when it engages but is positive. there is also a protective rim that prevents accidental activation.. My only gripe about the switch is that it lacks momentary operation capability (unless the light is first powered on).

I must confess that I never really considered the bulb.. I just happen to be in possession of a very low Vf 5W Luxeon that looks best at 6V. It's a V2T, and driving it at spec, it looks like a bin 2. At 6v tho, it's bin 3 material (and very bright too).. I guess you know what I have to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like I will have a spare bulb for the other one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the bulb stats, Paul_W, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to incandecents.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Lithium Light from Dorcy - the

So 'yall wanna see the guts eh? well here they are.. I left the photo larger (not to be a bandwidth jerk) but so details are more apparent. Yes, the reflector is metal and uses a spring to keep it "floating" in the bezel.

dor4.jpg

I must confess that my primary reason for purchasing this was to mod it with a 5W Luxeon.. I feel the reflector has great promise, but I think there will be some work necessary on the bezel. That would make for more room in the head for a converter, and a glass lens may have to be mounted using some type of adhesive, but looks like it would work OK

No interchagability was noted with SF parts..

Again, let me emphisize that the beam is not Surfire quality.. If you noticed how the beam looked like an "eyeball" on loose focus, I'd have to say it kind of looks like a "lipstick kiss mark" when focused down tight. The brightness is on par and these artifacts do little to reduce the usabilty of the light. Like I said - it's the perfect "glove-box light"..

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright, I was wondering myself, so I compare the Spyder vs. the Legend LX. Size wise the LX is much more "fatheaded". In the photo, the tailcaps of both lights are even, so you can clearly see the extra length (and girth) of the LX.

dor5.jpg

The beamshot comparison is much more in favor of the Legend LX than the photo shows.. In fact, my LX has a beam that is equally as smooth and round as my E2e but is focusable to a tighter (smaller) spot and thus is slightly brighter than my E2e. Please note that my LX has the newer style "frosted" reflector. My LX has also been updated with a "B270" glass lens from Chris at www.flashightlens.com

dor6.jpg

(Dorcy on left, LX on the right)

So yes, while the dorcy does indeed come in last place between the Surfire E2e, and Legend LX, it is on par in brightness and over all usability.

Like I said, the beam from the Dorcy is not perfectly round because the filiment in the bulb runs sideways. While a really choosey flashlight afficionado would be displeased, it really doesn't affect the usefull qualitites of the light. Considering that it costs little more than a 2AA mini-mag (and comes with batteries) it's a good buy.

I don't think anything on this light is going to interchange with other lights (although I haven't compared thread sizes against the LX yet)

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
'Flector looks significantly shallower than the Pelican M6's. True?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't say for certain since I don't have the Pelican M6.. I've glanced at the M6, but it was like $59 at Fry's and that is a bit steep for a donor (IMHO).

The Dorcy's reflector has a nicely rounded interior space to it. The metal that it is made of appears to be easy to work with. The back side will have to be filed off to move the emitter forwards into the bowl. Also the diameter of the bulb opening will have to be increased to accomodate and emitter.

I'd commit to having some results to post this week, but I have a couple of other mods I need to commit time to finishing for testing at a 4x4 run this coming up this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Using Ginsengs data, the bulb should be T-1.5 as the diameter is .19

Lemlux- yes, bulb alignment is absolutely critical to get anything close to a good beam.

BTW - The Costco item # for these lights is: 686827

hideo

Enlightened

I have two of them coming in and since I have a couple of decent 123 lights now, I'm following your mod thread with intense interest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif They definitely are more reasonably priced for donors than some of the other lights being tossed around. Waiting for the poor man's SN, or maybe it should be called the Slick Needle

hideo

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't completed testing with the Spyder's reflector yet.. So far the base (on my mod reflector) has a about 1/32nd lip and is drilled to the size of a HD 5W. I'm going to max it out before I abandon effort.

Right now the beam still has a "mag hole" with the Luxeon, but I still have a ways more filing to go. I'm taking this slow and will post more details in the mod forum as it comes along.

It the reflector doesn't work out, I'm sizing it up for a Fraen - narrow.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hideo

Enlightened

just got mine thanks to Roz and it's pretty decent for a $13 light with 123s included.

Front of the head on one rocks a tiny bit and has O-Ring showing when the beam is focussed down to a spot, but I'm planning on splattering the reflector on the one that will stay incandescent (want a broader beam anyway)

the other is gonna have one of 'dem L.E.D.s stuck in it--I think E-L Wayne is getting more of my lunch money (or maybe Slick ...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hideo

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received mine from Roz today.

I will add a couple Carley 3.50 V 2.30 A 138 Lumen 50 hour Halogen #1122 T-1 1/2 bulbs to my next Carley order. (I have a couple of these bulbs ceramically potted in a PR base in mag 3 C's driven by NiMHs.)

I think these will run well in this light when driven by a Copia/Pila 68 mm long Li-Ion. Voltage drop on the 3.7 V 1400 mAh cells might fall to 3.3 or 3.4 v under the 2.3 A load. The 3.7 V Stinger bulb is dimmer in a Scorpion with a Li-Ion than is the Scorpion bulb with 123's, but I'm hoping that's largely due to the Stinger bulb's 3.7 V rating.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Use EXTREME care handling the reflector!! I got some crud on mine during the filing and found that the chrome coating is very soft and polishes right off, revealing tool marks...

I'll have to re-polish mine, but fortunatly have some good equipment for doing it.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's now been confirmed that the Spyder will be making an appearence at all COSTCO stores by Sept. 1, possiblly sooner.

Anyways, the Marketing Director for Dorcy is now a member of CPF, so look for his post

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I live in a Tennessee city of 60,000. Never heard of Costco. Sam's branch ? Wal-Mart.

Help. Want some of these for glove box stuff; and mods.

hideo

Enlightened

Johnk

Wylie JUST posted that he has ten incoming here:

Dorcy group buy thread

plus more info on the whole sordid affair ...

(BTW, I'm not stalking you--just the way these newsgroups work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hideo

Wylie

Enlightened

Stocking me? News Groups? First I fall two months behind on something that had been posted and now I got a stocker. I sure hope your female! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I may have to edit this after I check your profile or you may be one of the incognitos too. Ahh a secret admirer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my two-pack of Spyders yesterday. It's a nice little light for the price. Evidently there's a large variance in the physical construction of these, because just like the Mag, there's a considerable difference in the beam shapes. One has a spot about half the area of the other. That's good; it helps decide which one is the keeper.

I did not do a run time or light meter test on this. I don't think it's necessary. I measured the current with fresh batteries -- 1.23 amps -- and that tells us a lot:

First, that is very close to the current for a Streamlight Scorpion (which runs about 60 minutes), and is more than the E2e's 1.11 amps (which runs 65-75 minutes). So the Spyder should run for about an hour.

Second, I don't see how the output could be 119.5 lumens. Current through the bulb suggests it will be about as bright as the Scorpion, and that seems to be the case when I take a look. So the Spyder's true output, IMO is about half of what they claim.

Paul

hideo

Enlightened

Wylie--

my smartass remarks were addressed to JohnK--we've both been posting on the Twin Tasks and I'm starting to feel like he's my undiscovered twin bro ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hideo