Poll added: New D10/EX10 SP replacing old D10/EX10.

What should Nitecore do with the D10/EX10 UI?

• Total voters

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just added a poll so that we can see just how many people have preference for the original, the SP or the original ramping version with added capability of retaining the user selected setting, even after going to max or min. Let us know what you think! :wave:

Evidently they have a new version of the D10/EX10 called the D10 SP and EX10 SP, which do away with the sweepable brightness in exchange for a rotating selection of 2 > 35 > 130 lumens. The old command for low, double click will now give you SOS, double click/hold for high gives you strobe mode. Hopefully they'll keep the original one available for those of us who prefer it.

I was really hoping that they would just give the new upgrade the ability to recall the user selected brightness the same way the LF2XT and LF3XT work, which would have made it almost perfect. I don't dislike the idea of having the blinking modes available, but at the cost of their previous UI disappearing, I would have preferred to have retained memory for user selected mode by a long shot. I just went from deciding to buying a new D10 SP, to keeping the one I already have. Here's the new UI. :(

Here's 4Sevens link for the D10 SP if you're interested in buying one! Even though I'm hoping for another UI option to come along, I think some people are going to be pretty happy about the new one. :popcorn:

I tried searching for anything on these before deciding there was nothing, and all because I didn't search back far enough.
Sorry for the new thread, but as long as it's open I'm interested in seeing if we can build up any interest in having Nitecore give us and updated version of the original UI which saves the user preset level even after going to high or low. :twothumbs

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New D10 SP and EX10 SP replacing old D10/EX10!

The SP has been available for quite a while. Do you have reliable information stating that the SP UI will replace the original PD UI in the NiteCore lineup?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Both models are still listed on the NiteCore site. Again I will ask, where is it stated that the SP will replace the model with the original UI?

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened

Well this is disappointing. You're confirming the conclusion that I was coming to. Unfortunately I'm not ready to buy one of these yet, hopefully I can find one somewhere when I am. Otherwise I'll probably hit the B/S/T fourum for a used one. The ramping up and down and direct access to low and high are what I really like about this light. I have the same opinion of some of the other posters--they're taking away the main feature that differentiated this light from all the other lights that just cycle through the different modes.

Moonshadow

Enlightened

Both models are still listed on the NiteCore site. Again I will ask, where is it stated that the SP will replace the model with the original UI?

OK, it's not explicitly stated, but I don't see an XP-E version of the original anywhere either. Since they haven't updated the original with the newer emitter, it seems quite likely that it will be phased out.

Unless you know something we don't ?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The good news that I heard was that these weren't planned to replace the current lineup of EX10/D10, but rather to supplement them. As far as I know they intend to continue with both models at the moment.

Moonshadow

Enlightened

OK, that's reassuring . . . where did you hear that ?

And, more importantly, did you also hear anything about emitter upgrades for the standard models ?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, it's not explicitly stated, but I don't see an XP-E version of the original anywhere either. Since they haven't updated the original with the newer emitter, it seems quite likely that it will be phased out.

Unless you know something we don't ?

So, since it's not explicitly stated, why are we assuming that a "SP" model is replacing the original?

Let's try not to assume anything here folks.

Perhaps there is just a stockpile of the original models with XR-E?

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

The SP has been available for quite a while. Do you have reliable information stating that the SP UI will replace the original PD UI in the NiteCore lineup?
sorry, but I spoke too soon and have changed it in my opening post.
These have been around for a while:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248623

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242809

Backwards step if you ask me - the original PD system allowed them to implement a unique and innovative UI: what's the point of replacing it with something that's so similar to lots of other lights ?
Backwards step in my opinion too and I just realized that I posted in one of those other threads and was so underwhelmed with the description of the new UI that I completely forgot they even existed!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Well this is disappointing. You're confirming the conclusion that I was coming to. Unfortunately I'm not ready to buy one of these yet, hopefully I can find one somewhere when I am. Otherwise I'll probably hit the B/S/T fourum for a used one. The ramping up and down and direct access to low and high are what I really like about this light. I have the same opinion of some of the other posters--they're taking away the main feature that differentiated this light from all the other lights that just cycle through the different modes.
I'm definitely not interested in one of the new ones at all and would much rather find a used one if I could no longer get the original UI.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New D10 SP and EX10 SP replacing old D10/EX10, or just in addition?

My apologies to the OP for my attitude. It's a pet-peeve of mine when someone makes what is seemingly an "announcement" based upon assumptions.

I was out of line. :thumbsdow Previous post edited.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

No apologies necessary between neutral tint fans! (Sneaky reference to the light listed in my signature line!) :devil:

Besides I need to be more careful about what information I post, whether opening a thread or just posting; sorry folks! :ohgeez:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, that's reassuring . . . where did you hear that ?

And, more importantly, did you also hear anything about emitter upgrades for the standard models ?
It was in an email communication with Nitecore back in Sept when these were first introduced. At that time they told me they had no plans to discontinue and this was a special edition made for a big Chinese outdoor website. I was pointed to these pages, but they are of little use to me...

http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/gearreview/378100,0,0,0.html
http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/gear/377173,0,0,0.html

I haven't heard anything yet about emitter upgrades, but if the lights stick around long enough in production, I can't imagine they would just forget about them.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened

So I decided to go to the source and see what Nitecore had to say for themselves, and here is the reply I got:

Dear [HeyGuysWatchThis],

Thanks for the email to us.

D10 SP and another camouflage color edition will be our main products the coming 2months, regarding original D10/EX10, we will gradually stop them, but of course, we do not drop the original SmartPD UI design. :)

Thank you for your attention and kind email.

Best Regards,
Elaine

It sounds like the sweepable levels are going away. I'll just have to see what I can find when I have the funds to buy one. I may well have to pick one up used...:shrug: It's too bad, though, I probably would have picked up the camouflage one. :xyxgun: To their credit, though, they responded to my email in about 6 hours, wow!

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened

Wait, they said "we do not drop the original SmartPD UI design"
It sounds to me that they will continue to offer the original UI (I hope!)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh oh...I don't have a good feeling about this. :sweat:

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened

Wait, they said "we do not drop the original SmartPD UI design"
It sounds to me that they will continue to offer the original UI (I hope!)

I took that to mean the piston switch design will remain the same, but the electronics are moving to the new SP design.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

They said they're going to stop producing D10s / EX10s, but will produce new lights using SmartPD system. :thinking:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

So I decided to go to the source and see what Nitecore had to say for themselves, and here is the reply I got:

Dear [HeyGuysWatchThis],

Thanks for the email to us.

D10 SP and another camouflage color edition will be our main products the coming 2months, regarding original D10/EX10, we will gradually stop them, but of course, we do not drop the original SmartPD UI design. :)

Thank you for your attention and kind email.

Best Regards,
Elaine

It sounds like the sweepable levels are going away. I'll just have to see what I can find when I have the funds to buy one. I may well have to pick one up used...:shrug: It's too bad, though, I probably would have picked up the camouflage one. :xyxgun: To their credit, though, they responded to my email in about 6 hours, wow!
Sounds to me that it means they'll probably be getting rid of the original UI in favor of the new one, but not doing away with the switching system.