A single-mode alkaline friendly AA light, please.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Why does this not exist? A single-mode alkaline friendly AA light. With todays efficient emitters it could be decently bright with an output of max 2-300 milliamps. It would not be too hard on alkaline batteries. Well regulated it could probably achieve 3 hours runtime or more. This would make a fool-proof gift to anyone. The closest to this was the Civictor, but it is no longer made and it was using an old luxeon emitter. There are a few options out there with programmable modes and all that but I am asking for a grandmother-proof flashlight that goes on-off, not a computer.

pmoore

Newly Enlightened
You want 1 AA or 2. Go see what Brian at shinningbeam has to offer. Check under Romisen. The prices make them great for gift giving.

Paul

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The NiteCore EZAA is maybe the modern day equivalent to the Civictor. It's just 1 mm longer, but about 2 mm slimmer in diameter. If you only twist it far enough for low mode it becomes the light you want. And a bit more twisting gives a very bright high for the rare time more light is needed. I think on low mode the light would be fairly alkaline friendly, though I've not seen a runtime test, and have only used rechargeables in mine.

Geoff

Hill

Enlightened
There are several options available depending on your price point. If you don't mind waiting 3 weeks, check out DealExtreme here for AA powered lights. There have been many reviews here by user Bessiebenny on the quality of these lights in this latest thread. Quality is hit or miss, but you should definitely be able to find a good one that will satisfy grandma.

If you want something sooner, than the Romisen brand from Shinning beam is another option.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Peak El Capitan

It is a single AA light running a Cree XP-G R5 LED, the latest and brightest available. It is available in 8 different power outputs which you specify, if you want 3 hours of runtime on an alkaline--maybe level 3 of 8? Simple twist on/twist off and you can get a momentary tail switch if you like. It is available in HA-III aluminum, brass or stainless steel. The aluminum version runs $50.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have mentioned, there are several 1xAA Romisen lights available from Shiningbeam.

Specifically:

RC-G2: single mode, rear clickie, neutral or cool tint, excellent reputation for build quality and reliability.

RC-29: single mode, rear clickie, cool tint, optics allow adjusting the beam for flood or throw.

Also, Target has a handful of 1xAA LED lights. Don't know anything about them (I tend to ignore single-mode lights).

--flatline

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he light is not required for EDC, a 2AA light is easier to hold and use than a tiny 1AA. Take a look at the Fenix E20.

See if you can find the older single mode 2AA 3Watt MagLED (the new rebel ones are multimode).

Lumapower F1 now uses an SSC-P4 instead of a Luxeon. Single mode twisty.

Multimodes are not all created equal.
Most multimodes go to a mystery level/mode with an accidental soft press of the button then starts up in the mystery level/mode next time. I assume you do not want this.

There are simpler 2 modes such as the Fenix L1T V2.0 or Fenix L2T v2.0. Tighten the head for high, loosen the head for low; pushbutton for on off.

NiteCore EZ AA Twist on low, twist some more for high. Untwist to go from high to low or low to off. With the release or the R2, the older Q5 versions are on sale.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Get the Peak El Capitan

It is a single AA light running a Cree XP-G R5 LED, the latest and brightest available. It is available in 8 different power outputs which you specify, if you want 3 hours of runtime on an alkaline--maybe level 3 of 8? Simple twist on/twist off and you can get a momentary tail switch if you like. It is available in HA-III aluminum, brass or stainless steel. The aluminum version runs $50.

+ 1 on PEAK :wave:

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your suggestions. I have a bunch of those Romisen G2s, but I find them not to good for alkalines. They have a rather high current draw. They are excellent modding hosts, though. Good machining. Too bad that a good single AA driver for Alkalines is hard to find.
I have tried the Lumapower F1, which has a good driver and decent runtime. What I did not like was the machining in the threads and the thin o-ring.
The Nitecore EZ AA is a great choice as well, but kind of expensive. I have ordered a tank007 EZ-clone for testing, modding purposes. Fenix e20 is good, with Nimhs, that is. Only one hour (well regulated) runtime on Alkies.
I had totally forgot about the Fenix L1T/L2T. I have an old SSC-modded L2T but sadly it died when I dropped it on the floor. I got a similar one of those for my sister, namely the L1S, when it was on sale at 4-7s.
DX and Kai have a lot of inexpensive single mode 1AA flashlights, but none with low current draw. Most of them sucks 1 amp from an AA.

Last edited:

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Hah, 2 amps. No alkalines in the tank007 then :) I wish KD would sell their XRT drivers separately, or make an AA version of the so called Buckle Light.

mfm

Enlightened
There are some cheap 1AA lights that draw around 80-120 mA, but they are obviously not that bright.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Here is a link to the XRT(XtraRunTime?) version of the Buckle Light. http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5628
They state 100 minutes on an AAA. With an AA the runtime should be quite a bit longer. And $17.99. That kind of proves that it is possible to make a cheap long running AA light with good quality. I have sent Jerry at Kaidomain an email with a suggestion.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does this not exist? A single-mode alkaline friendly AA light. With todays efficient emitters it could be decently bright with an output of max 2-300 milliamps. ...

As another data point, the newest (version 4) Inova X1 draws about 530 mA from a fresh alkaline battery. Inova rates it at 25 lumens and I think highly of it.

However, if you are giving a light to someone with arthritic hands, they might have trouble using a twisty versus a side mounted switch. The longer length of a 2AA flashlight would be easier to grip.

inova-x1-v4.jpg

Navin_R_Johnson

Newly Enlightened
How about a single mode Romisen RC-I3. For some reason in the 1XAA configuration the output goes down, but the runtime goes up compared to 2XAA or 123. There is a budget roundup thread that can lead you to the details. Mine works just like stated in the thread. The postings on DX indicate some newer orders are getting RC-I3's with 3 modes.

I don't think my E07 is drawing 2A. I'm getting well over an hour on a duraloop. It is drawing over 1A though. If you come up with a good method to open the head on yours, please post up. I like the light so well as it is, I don't want to risk any damage to it trying to open the head. But, if someone else does all the experimentation on theirs, I'd be curious to see how an XP-G would work in it.

pipsqueakspace

Newly Enlightened
I've recently had my eye on the Romisen RC-29 from kaidomain. Since i dont really have any of these high end flashlights im not so sure about quality, but i've heard romisen is an OK budget brand.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
I've checked again my E07 , with a fresh AA nimh varta ready2use (LSD), it draws 1.79 A , my memory was a little too high ;)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add another recommendation for a Peak El Capitan or Peak Pacific. Simple, extremely well-made one-level twisties with great runtime on alkaline, depending on power level.

Latest posts