Jet-III M Smooth Tail Cap Mod

Sportnmud

Newly Enlightened
I joined the forum to research a new light for duty carry. My streamlight strion has been around for a couple years and I wanted to upgrade to something new and better. It needed it to be very bright, durable and have a long run time. Thats when i found the Jet-III M. As soon as I received my new light, I was not impressed with the crenated tail cap. For a tactical flashlight, the tail cap made it very hard to hold the light and get your thumb over the crenated edge and press the button, let alone try to click the clicky switch.

I contacted jetbeam and discussed my problem with them. I told them I was looking for something like the tail cap on the RRT-2. They said they were interchangeable and could mail one to a US dealer. I would be responsible for paying 12$ for the new smooth tail cap plus any shipping charges from the US dealer shipped to me. This sounded exactly like what I wanted, but paying almost another 20$ or so dollars for the tail cap and shipping sounded hardly worth it.

So I decided why not just mod the tail cap I already have. The tail cap was easily removed with twisting it with the back of a mouse pad. I then set off to my 10" cut off wheel mounted on my miter saw and grinded down the crenated edges. Then it was only a matter of using using my sander with progressively finer grit sandpaper making it smooth. I then finished it off with some wenol polish with a buffing pad on my sander. It came out very shiny and smooth like the stock front bezel.
naughty.gif

The clicky switch is much more easier to use and even click now. It provides a much better tactical feel in your hand. This also allowed the light to fit into my strion holster on my duty belt without any further mods.

img00030200911241407.jpg

img00031200911241408.jpg

img00024200911241406.jpg

img00021200911241404.jpg

Last edited:

Sportnmud

Newly Enlightened
Sorry first time posting pics. Hopefully these work. I am at work now and cant check if they work, dang smart filters.

Last edited:

Latest posts