how to mod a 3c streamlight for more power

safeway

Newly Enlightened
I have a stream light 3c twin task and would like to juice it up, is worth changing the battery config from three c's and mod it to two packs of four aaa's and make it 12 volts then find a bulb that will handle the volts enough to make a significant differance. I know somebody is going to read this and think im a idiot - i am new to this and yes i can go buy a new light that blows this out of the water but i would really like to mod this thing and make it my own. I am in pest control and use my lights all day long and have been obsessing over converting this into a super light. any help would be appreciated....thanks mike

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The AAA batteries won't be able to handle the current of a high output bulb and the LEDs won't take the higher voltage.

I'm not sure how much the switch can handle, but the easiest thing might be to use 3 C sized li-ion batteries, rewire the LEDs to 3s2p, and get a suitable bulb.

I'd suggest getting a light for now so you still have a good light if you mess up the twin task.

:welcome:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
How does the mode switching of the twin task work? Is it in the switch or in the bulb/led module? It might be worth looking into that, and then seeing what type of replacement bulb assembly you would go with. You could run an LED on 3Cs, or go for something like 2x18650s with a spacer and a sleeve, or 3x18500s with a sleeve, or 3 C-cell LiIons. The path forward probably depends on heavily on if you want to keep the incan bulb, how the switching works, and how much money you'd like to invest. I've never seen a twin-task up close so I have no personal experience with them.

safeway

Newly Enlightened
the switch is a three stage it starts out with operating half the outer led's then all the outer led's then the last click operates the center bulb that is not led......i just made a light using a one dollar raovac 2 aa light bored out the hole and added 3 cr123's and switched the bulb to a 7.2 krypton and that little thing is super bright but the light pattern isnt the cleanest but for a total of 12 dollars it blows my twin task out of the sky.....but obviously it is pushing the bulb and wont last forever.........i also just bought a ultra bright led 4volt tek4 ryobi from home depot they had a special that if you bought the light and the battery for a total of 30 bucks they gave you a instant rebate for the 27 dollar 37 min quick charger and i have not been able to test allot of light but holy cow this thing throws light crazy bright and a nice tight beam.....but my first good light that i bought the stream light needs to be boosted up just for the fun of it i was thinking of making a spacer so i can run like 4 or 5 cr123 and find a bulb to handle without blowing intantly....the center bulb can be changed but as for the outer led's i am not that teck savy to change them out so if i run that much power i am going to blow them instantly i think?

safeway

Newly Enlightened
oh yes and sorry the switch is detachable from the led's but im guesing i would have to say its all one component regardless they come apart when you take it off

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you juice up your incandescent lamp too much, you'll need to solder a resistor onto the LED's voltage feed in, the TT3C is rated at 57Lm whereas the Strion is rated at 116Lm output off a 3.7v lithium cell... the only issue is the Strion's bulb has shorter "legs" (see below) otherwise a mod is possible even if it means you need to extend either the reach of the bi-pin socket OR lengthen the strion's "legs" as it were, additionally upgrading to rechargeable NiMHs would pay dividends (and save you money on battery usage) :thumbsup:

11909102.jpg

Please note images are disproportionate in size and for descriptive comparison only

The other unique feature of the TT3C is the staged LED modes, thus you could swap out some of the LEDs to give you a 3 stage (colour) flashlight, though admittedly the second stage of the LED ramp up would be a combination of all LED colours ;)

Last edited:

safeway

Newly Enlightened
thanks strom that sounds like super fun to do but i think i would be getting in over my head being new to this.....i just bought a ryobi tek 4 light and it has a rechargable 4 volt lithium and the stt holds 3 c's and enough to put 2 4 volt li ion packs in it. it would be awsome if i could build a head for the light too work with the power of the two packs that it in i think that these ryobi 4 volt packs are going to be great mod tools! since they recharge in 30 min with the quick charger and there li ion what do you think>?