Zero Rechargeable: 38,200 Lux!!!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
First off, I will do a full review of the CTZero Zero Rechargeable late tonight and post comparison pictures, etc....

I just purchased a CTZero Zero Rechargeable for $49 from Dyna Direct. The service at Dyna was first-rate and I will definitely purchase from them again.

Anyway, I charged up my Zero and set my light meter at the 1,000 to 10,000 Lux range thinking it'll be close to 10,000 Lux. I get an error. So I set the Lux range to 10,001 to 20,000 and I still get an error. I'm thinking something is wrong so I get my benchmark, my Mr. Bulk 6D Space Needle and it registers 7,800 Lux...that's about right. Back goes my Zero and it's an error again. So I switch the setting to 20,001 to 50,000 Lux and my Zero registers an amazing 38,200 Lux! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I can't believe it so I take my Mr. Bulk Special and the Zero outside and light up a tree ~50 feet away. To my surprise, the Zero's hot spot is about 3-4 times brighter than the Space Needle!

I can't believe how bright this Zero is and for only $49! If it truly does have a 180 minute run time, I'm going to purchase 5 more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

So, my question is, has anyone done a meter reading for the Zero? If so, do you get 35,000+ Lux? Cause I constantly get 35,000+ Lux with the high being 38,200!

I guess my final question would be how does the lux reading of the Zero compare to the Tiger Light, Ultra Stinger and other "super" handheld rechargeable flashlights less than $200?

I'm still in awe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I need to wake-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the zero isn't as bright as the other superlights, but it does have a tighter beam.

a great deal for the price!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW... I am speechless. Is is really that bright? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif That is absolutely incredible.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
the zero isn't as bright as the other superlights, but it does have a tighter beam.

a great deal for the price!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so the other superlights yield more lumens but the Zero, with a tighter beam wins in the lux department right? If so, I'm curious what the lux readings are for the Tiger Light, MagRechargeable and Ultra Stinger. They must be in the 15,000+ Lux range no?

Thanks Roth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

P.S. I'm not so concerned about lumens as I am lux. I like a more focused beam as opposed to a flood.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i usually prefer beamthrow also, but obviously lux isn't the only factor (i wouldn't use a laser for my lighting needs for example /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). the tigerlight is a better light in general, but costs much more.

for the price, you really can't go wrong with the zero /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
I measured the zero at 36,400 and the Tigerlight at 29,000

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jeff...for a minute there I thought I was going "mad". Oh wait, I am mad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm wondering what a tigerlight bulb would do in a zero reflector... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i'm wondering what a tigerlight bulb would do in a zero reflector... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can make it happen...if you're leading me some where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I take it the Tiger Light bulb is a superior bulb?

battman

Newly Enlightened
Let's not get carried away. My friend has a CTZero, and it appears to be a well-made light with a good hotspot. Probably a good value for the $. But its light ouput isn't even close to that of an Ultrastinger or Magcharger. I don't care what the light meter says. Just don't want anyone here to be misled by the numbers.

BTW, my friend had to put Write-Right on his lens to correct the ringy beam. That dulled the hotspot considerably.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the specs of the Tiger Light and thought the bulb was rated too high in voltage to be properly driven in this one. I could be wrong though.

What I assume is a PT-40 bulb, HMP20 4.8 volt .5 amp was not as bright but was whiter. A phillips HPX42 4.7v .4 amp was about the same as the HPM20. Ditto for a KPR113 4.8v .7 amp. The stock HPR36 is the best of the lot I've tested so far. I think the HMP20 had more side spill light.

True it is not as bright as the uberlights in white wall tests or lightmeter exams but in side by side walking around in the dark actual use the technical differences diminish and the lights become similar. My Ultra Stinger has almost twice the brightness at the tightest focus but when the beam is widened up to a more useable bright spot the meter readings on the two become very close. I found a faceted reflector that I made fit and did not loose as much as the write right would have lost.

Besides being built like a tank it is a big light with a charger for less than a Poly Stinger.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you'll notice i mentioned nothing about running the tl bulb in the zero's body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
[ QUOTE ]
S4MadMan said:If it truly does have a 180 minute run time, I'm going to purchase 5 more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went to CTZero, and for the Zero model, they quote a 140-minute runtime. Maybe you should only buy 4 more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
you'll notice i mentioned nothing about running the tl bulb in the zero's body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What diabolical scheme are you planning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cyclops942 said:
[ QUOTE ]
S4MadMan said:If it truly does have a 180 minute run time, I'm going to purchase 5 more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went to CTZero, and for the Zero model, they quote a 140-minute runtime. Maybe you should only buy 4 more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I only purchased 3 more. I think I need a Tiger Light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts