Learn about LED

RobEU

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Can you name best SMD leds currently on the market? In terms of efficiancy, Lm/w. Must be minimum 120Lm/w. I am looking to build outdoor street light myself.
Also, who makes top quality led drivers?

Also I am looking for websites with information like "How to build SMD led light yourself". Any links, articles would be useful.

Thank you :)

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's easy just take a look at any of the latest crees. MC-E, XR-E R2, XP-G.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can probably buy a few XP-Gs on stars, mount them on a heatsink, and then solder them to a matching driver and that should work.

How bright do you need this street light?

:welcome:

RobEU

Newly Enlightened
You can probably buy a few XP-Gs on stars, mount them on a heatsink, and then solder them to a matching driver and that should work.

How bright do you need this street light?

:welcome:

Thank you guys.

But I am confused as there are few shapes of LED`s, some are small, some are on some kind of stars. Thats why I want to learn whats the difference.

SMD_LED.jpg
max_6vY6erLttS1236928486_product.jpg

Another question - what is "bins for leds"?

Gunner12,
If I take piece of MCPCB, solder leds to it, them put some thermopaste on the other side of PCB, then fix MCPCB to this kind of aluminum profile for heat dissipation. What do you think?
alum1.jpg

Does it definitely needs a heatsink? I havn`t seen outdoor LED lights with them. Maybe its enought with just normal aluminum profile, without ribs?
For example Betaled dot com, dont have heatsinks, just even surface:
ledway-image2.jpg

Also, I have an idea how to make them moisture and IP protected :) What about nano varnish for driver and leds and MCPCB? I have seen some paper shopping bags full with water :D It has no color, its not visible - sounds perfect to me. And its cheap.

I have made a drawing of my idea. What do you think of my setup?
drawingg.jpg

There is no set target for brightness, just want to build one myself for myself, but would be nice something at least 5500Lm and no more than 65w.

Rob

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Perhaps this thread would be helpful. Similar to what you had in mind.

LEDs don't like heat, and since they are nowhere close to 100% or even 90% efficient, they will produce heat, so they need heatsinking.

LEDs can be mounted on different boards, or not mounted at all. Mounting on boards makes them easier to handle and solder, but a bare LED will have better heat transfer if placed directly on the heatsink (at these powers, there isn't much of a difference in heatsinking with or without the board).

LEDs are spurted by bins. There are flux bins (output/efficiency), tint bins, and sometimes, Vf bins(forward voltage).